Hypothetical Question on current detector

1266x

Greenie
Oct 13, 2008
Berkshire County
I have a 1266x bought new in 1992. Although it is known to be a good machine, it never really seemed to be the right one for me. I think I could hear a higher frequency audio tone better for one reason. So if I was to sell it and get something else, what level of a Whites or a Tesoro would I have to buy to have a comparable machine. I don't really care one way or the other about an ID detector or multiple frequencies. The type of hunting i do includes pretty much everything except beach locations. Thanks for any thoughts I might get on this.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
The Tesoro Tejon comes to mind. Adjustable tone, dual disc. (like the 1266), lightweight, manual ground balance. Not made for saltwater but is OK in dry sand areas. Has high enough freq. to even prospect with per se.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from a 1266x to a Tejon and couldn't be happier.

OP
OP
1266x

1266x

Greenie
Oct 13, 2008
Berkshire County
Thanks for the opinions guys. It appears you have no opposition to your recommendation. I have developed an interest in Tesoro lately based on the good reviews. At least I have some time before spring to make a decision. :icon_study:

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT
If I were you, I would also look at the White's MXT. Easy to operate, auto ground balance, multiple coils to choose from, and a very easy learning curve. J.M.H.O. Good luck with your choice.

Sniper

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you have reasonably good ground, go with the Tejon. You're already used to doing your hunting with sound. I used an MXT for 2 years and I just never got used to the weight. The Tejon is a full pound lighter than the MXT.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Most people will recommend what they like. I would also suggest the detectors I have as possibilities, the Fisher F70 & Minelab X-Terra 70. These are both visual ID, tone ID, lightweight, optional coils available, use 4 AA batteries that last many hours (alkaline or rechargeable NiMH). They both have a high tone for most coins in disc modes.

There are many good detectors out there, but everyone likes something different. The 1266X is still thought by many to be something worth keeping. HH, George (MN)

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tejon is the same only better.
Audio is adjustable to the freq.you can hear best,one feature I like a lot.
Manual ground balance is a bonus,from there its a lot like a 1266x.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be sure to get the Tesoro 11" x 8" Widescan Coil to go with your Tejon!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything new you buy will out preform that 1992 technology.

(outperform it by leaps and bounds)

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell you what,if you had a manual ground balance added that would really help your 1266X out.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend the Vaquero over the Tejon. It is much more forgiving in different types of soil and ground balances easy. It's almost as deep and feel it is better on coins where as the Tejon loves small lead and deep. Depends on your soil conditions and where you live I suppose. Here in southwest colorado where the soul is crap the Vaquero outperformed the Tejon consistently so I sold the Tejon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread