Minelab Sovereign GT vs Whites MXT?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been a while since I used the MXT but I still have my Sov GT. You really can't compare them side by side as the GT is a multi freq detector with no screen and the MXT has a screen and the screen lies to you. You soon learn the screen is for reference only and reports on what it could be. But newbies think if the screen says its a dime, it better be a dime or they are calling the factory. I tried the MXT on the beach once in the dry sand only near where the van was parked with the Sov GT was resting. A buried clad quarter a foot down the MXT couldn't respond with the same size coil as the Sov GT in the same mode. Then in all metal, the Sov GT went even deeper. MXT can report rusty iron as good targets while the GT does not.:thumbsup:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its been a while since I used the MXT but I still have my Sov GT. You really can't compare them side by side as the GT is a multi freq detector with no screen and the MXT has a screen and the screen lies to you. You soon learn the screen is for reference only and reports on what it could be. But newbies think if the screen says its a dime, it better be a dime or they are calling the factory. I tried the MXT on the beach once in the dry sand only near where the van was parked with the Sov GT was resting. A buried clad quarter a foot down the MXT couldn't respond with the same size coil as the Sov GT in the same mode. Then in all metal, the Sov GT went even deeper. MXT can report rusty iron as good targets while the GT does not.:thumbsup:

Great post Sandman like always. I would have to agree with you!

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I own both and Sandman is right on. My MXT hasn't been off the rack for a couple of years, the GT is used weekly. Reason, depth. The MXT is an 8 inch machine with a nice screen. The GT is a 12 inch machine, no screen, but sweet tones that find deep targets other machines have missed.

BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great responses. Since I will most likely be using my detector in and near water, I am actually thinking of the Excal2 instead of GT. but after reading last few posts, I am certain the Excal will do fine for my style.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can get dimes at 10"+ with the MXT and the D2 coil and have found dimes at 12" and this is at parks that have been pounded since the 70's, I only listen for those deep targets that others missed and its usually a deep wheat or silver dime.
I own both and Sandman is right on. My MXT hasn't been off the rack for a couple of years, the GT is used weekly. Reason, depth. The MXT is an 8 inch machine with a nice screen. The GT is a 12 inch machine, no screen, but sweet tones that find deep targets other machines have missed.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Sov GT at the beach if Im not going in the water, I have pulled targets well over 12+ inches with it...... On the beach the Sov GT is a beach vaccum, I use either the WOT coil or a SEF 15"x18" Butterfly coil there..... If minelab would build a waterproof version of the SOV GT I would buy it in a heartbeat................ The Excal is based on the Old Sov, not on the new Sov GT..............Just give us a waterproof version like the CTX...........:thumbsup:

BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is tough for me.
GT or Excal II. I recently was given the suggestion of SE Pro. Now I don't know which one to get. All seem very good. I won't be diving, just knee deep mainly. I have seen Max's water resistant box build, so that's cool for the SE and I know I can build one for GT no problem.
Norfolk Wolf used as his personal machine a Sovereign. Not the GT, he said he wouldn't have any other. He seems to know his stuff.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He stuck with the older Sovereign because he couldn't afford to upgrade. As for knowing his stuff just watch the video's and wonder why many of the detectors were not set up correctly to show their abilities. The GT is superior (slightly) in depth performance and much better from the point of view of adjustment which gives it a further edge.

As for the original question about parks and relics (ie land sites) the MXT could still be a better choice depending on the degree of contamination in the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread