Best Performer Under Power Lines?

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade (finally) and would like your input on which detector operates the best under power lines. I've been trying to do some back yards close to home, but the service runs right overhead and giving me a hard time. Right now I still use my 1266 and it's great in a lot of areas, but very sensitive to EMI, so I''m forced to use my 3" coil. Great for getting in between the roofing nails and chewed up siding, but not so good on depth. I know for sure there's silver down there, but can't reach it with the sensitivity cranked to almost nothing.

Just about the time I think I've got it all figured out and ready to make a choice I read that this or that model is terrible anywhere near power lines, cell phones and towers, etc...

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Mike

PS. If nobody can say which one works the best, just let me know how your detector is affected and hopefully I can narrow the selection down a bit.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
If you mean the service going to the house, I use my Tesoro's under power lines all the time and have never had a problem. My vaquero is very stable even under the high voltage cross country lines. I used a Garrett GTAX400 for a while and never had a problem with it either. I think any of the Tesoro's will be ok.
Randy

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with RPG on the Tesoro's , my Cortes has no problems whatsoever directly under power lines . My XLT on the other hand goes haywire in the same situation .

Mac

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X-terra 70 works fine under power lines. :thumbsup:

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with the other posters. The Xterras and the Cibola/Vaquero are very good

nt

OP
OP
mikewaz

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Thanks for the replies!
I've been leaning towards the X-Terra 70 for a while and this should cinch the deal.
Mike

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
The CZ 70 is not new but if your a Fisher guy it works under power lines at the beach [wet salt sand]in the rain .

OP
OP
mikewaz

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Thanks Again for all of your input!

It's nice to hear the CZ 70 will work in those conditions. I was hoping that one of the CZ's would work, but assumed all of the Fishers suffered from EMI. Now I've at least got another option to consider.
Mike

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have probably already purchased a detector by now, but I just wanted to add a comment on the CZ-70. I am a 30 year veteran of metal detecting and as you can imagine I have used many different brands. The CZ series detectors were by far my favorite for over ten years straight. My first CZ was a CZ-6, and was immediately impressed with it. After using it for several years with much success I sold it and bought a new CZ-70 and it has paid for itself many times over in finds. The CZ's are just a great all around detector, simple to use and master. I have used the digital and analog CZ's under power lines with no trouble at all.

Here is a link to some photos I posted of Civil War buttons that I discovered buried in an old fire pit. Just scroll down till you see me "Goldiver". In two days time I dug approximately 1500. to 2000. dollars worth of relics out of this hole.

The only detector that has topped it in my opinion so far is the F-75. The speed and separation is unbelievable. And I love mine even though it is at times affected by overhead lines.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,162774.0.html

Good Hunting!
Steve

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
All detectors a affected by EMI, some more than others. Sometimes the operator does not realize it is affecting the performance. The coil is an antenna and as such it will pick up EMI. The smaller coils are less receptive and work better around power lines. If the power line that is causing you trouble is a low voltage line for domestic use and you can't eliminate by reducing your sensitivity you will probably have to try a different detector.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Minelab Safari......well, I had one and if the repair people will ever send it back I'll have it again! But, it has multi-frequency capability and will automaticaly pick a freq that isn't being interfered with by the electric lines. Any of the multi-frequency detectors should be static free under power lines. Monty

metalman338

Greenie
Apr 18, 2006
just got back from va the f75 worked great until i got near some power lines and a cell phone tower it would not work no mater what i did, e-trac worked great

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have a freq shift in an old conquistador for power lines no problem at all.

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a park last week only my 4th hunt with my new Garrett Masterhunter CX plus. I was using the 4" coil and it was really going nuts had to cut down the power to half. Hunted 35 minutes got 2 coins a lot of trash 1 was a 45 wheat penny.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
have a freq shift in an old conquistador for power lines no problem at all.

TnM has a very good point, a detector with a freq shifter would help a great deal.......Fisher 1235X and Tesoro Conquistador are 2 detectors I have used that have freq shifters. I use a 1235X for competition hunts because of the freq shifter and the multiple frequencies I can switch to when I encounter interference. I sold my Conquistador when I got the 1235 only because it has more frequencies to choose from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread