X-Terra 705 or the Teknetics T2 limited edition

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
For the last couple of years due to health problems I have not been able to detect due to critical health problems. Around a year ago I purchased a Tesoro Tejon and never was able to master it! I do think I am a meter man cause having used a meter detector most of my hunting years. I would appreciate any input of the above two detectors from the best of the users who are right here on TNet/ Thanks in advance for any input and/or suggestions you give me! Bill

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll second what Extractor says. I have a 70 and love it and if I was going to replace it, it would be with a 705 as it has a few more features that are really nice. I've had someone tell me that the T2 should be a killer machine, but I had two F75s and I won't touch anything made by FT anymore, if you paid me. The 705 is nice and lightweight, well built and once you learn its language it will make good finds as well any detector in its class.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a T2 and am very happy with it. It's deep and has a very fast recovery speed. The x705 has more coils available for it and is light weight like the T2 and is a great detector from what I hear so I don't think you'll go wrong no matter what choice you make. Good luck

HH
John

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting over using a meter is very hard to do, and what ever we have to do to have fun is what counts. I am starting to have health issues with walking now and all these detectors seem to be getting heavier or I am going to places where the gravity has increased.......... Bill, if I had my choice I would want a DFX that was hip mountable, but they can't do that. Aside from that the Minelabs are very nice detectors and easy to learn while still having a screen.

Good Luck, :coffee2:
Sandman

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandman said:
"Getting over using a meter is very hard to do"

Granted Sandman, while that may be true with a lot of machines, it doesn't take long to realize that with a machine like the X-terra that tones are more important, especially since below about 1/2 its effective depth the numbers are pretty much always off. When I'm coinshooting I will use the numbers, but when I'm relic hunting I always go by tones first and it could be high tone, but a negative number and I'll still dig. Just gotta know what to pay attention to. If someone sold a machine that was multi-tone and extremely light, with good depth, but no meter I would happily buy it, but the X-terra was as close as I could get to the ideal.

Good Luck, :coffee2:
Sandman

metalmolly

Nov 5, 2008
It's a love-hate relationship, Bill!

Glad your health issues are better now, Bill. You've been detecting way longer than me, so I probably couldn't give you too much useful advice. Except maybe to remember that we all go through ups and downs with detectors and patience can be a virtue. Sometimes you can be really frustrated with a relatively new detector and then your mind gets in sync with that detector and you really start liking it. Sometimes you can lose faith in a detector you liked, especially when the grass in another detector's pasture looks greener. Going through your past posts you liked the Tejon shortly after you got it in December of 2007. By February of 2008 you LOVED the Tejon. But that Tejon must have done something to break your heart, because by July 2008 you HATED the Tejon. In December of 2008 you were thinking of getting it modified by some outfit in the UK. But you decided against that and SOLD the Tejon in May of 2009. Your last words in October of 2009 were that you were never able to master the Tejon and that it was an AWFUL detector in your ground. Bill, you were great to deal with and fortunately your Tejon landed in a loving and appreciative home. She has been christened "TT" and is doing just fine in my ground. The thing about the Tejon is it is not a silent search detector. By design it will pop and crackle over iron when iron has been discriminated out. That's why it is so excellent at unmasking good targets in heavy iron.

SteveP (NH)

May 19, 2003
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both a T2 and a 705. If I was forced to choose between them I would take the T2.

However I am glad I don't have to make that choice as I like the 705 a lot. I am primarily a relic hunter and I think the T2 is the better machine for that type of hunting and thus my choice above.

The T2 is a more bare bones machine, has far less search coil options, but has a faster recovery and goes deeper (in my ground at least). To get anywhere near the same depth you have to put the 10.5" MF DD coil on the XTerra and that is a very heavy coil that makes the 705 a heavy machine. The stock 11 inch DD on the T2 is much lighter.

While the 705 is much more feature rich, has a much larger selection of search coils and is able to operate at 3 Khz, 7.5 Khz, and 18.75 Khz (you have to change search coils to change frequencies). The 705 is a more flexible machine and has features that the T2 lacks such as a notch system, preset discrimination patterns, a target ID stabilizer circuit (helpful in trashy spots), a ground tracking system that you can turn on or off, a beach mode (though the T2 can easily ground balance at the beach too).

I regularly use them both, if I go out with a T2 one day then I will usually take out the 705 the next. If I hunt a field with the 705 then I will go over the same field with the T2 on another day. Between the two I don't think I leave much behind.

No matter which you choose, you will be doing ok they are both great machines.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Sounds like you want to know what is down there before you dig.

Got a friend with the Minelab X-terra 70. He is about 85% right when he hits a target. But that is with experience. I have the Minelab Safari and on the solid signals I know when it is a coin or not but sometimes small aluminum fools me but my friend can predict not only if it is a coin or not but if it is silver vs clad, to me that's down right amazing.

You need multi-tone (28 or more) in order to really determine what's down there. The target id is like "training wheels" until you learn it, after a while you bearly use the display. The depth indicator speeds up your recovery time since you know if you should dig the plug or just pop the coin.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned a few detectors and I life the Xterra the best. It gives you a number of choices on how many tones you want to hear, ranging from one tone on all targets to 4 tones. I use four tones, which clearly identifies silver from non-silver coins. I rely mostly on tone, but it also has visual target display which is very accurate for clad and silver coins. If you only want to dig coins, there is a preset discrimination pattern that will eliminate almost everything except them. And, best of all, at just three pounds, its light enough to swing all day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread