dadzjunk

Greenie
Nov 26, 2009
Shelbyville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,Whites DFX 300 , Matrix M 6, Coinmaster, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a friend who owns a DFX detector and a minelab tetector, but wants to purchase one that he can take into 3 or 4 feet of salt water on Myrtle Beach. Can some one tell us the best detector for this purpose? Will it be Whites Surfmaster Dual Field or the Beachhunter 300 or is there one that is better?
Thanks in advance for your help.

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, Xterra 705, Surf PI DF
Just picked up Surf PI Dual Field and got out to the beach today. Was also considering the Tesoro Sand Shark, but went with the Whites after reading Clive Clynick's book "Pulse Power" Great book loaded with info. There is some talk about learning to hear the small deep targets. Well I ran over a 1/2 inch very thin ss cotter pin that was about 18 inches down. There was no mistake in hearing this target, thought I had something decent after digging so deep.
Was only out for a couople of hours and didn't find anything of value, unless you call a 2007 Canadian dime valuable. It was down near 20 " and sounded off real strong. So I might be digging alot, but in the short time I was detecting, I already started to tell the difference between a hair pin and a coin. Get the book I mentioned above before or after your purchase, its well worth the $$.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a Minelab Excal. You can't beat it in the salt water. It will null on iron and still report a gold ring next to an iron nail. You also will not be digging 3 foot holes for bobbypins, fish hooks, or carter pins....... :wink:

Operates on 17 different frequencies all broadcast at the same time from 1.5kHz to 25.5kHz in 1.5 kHz steps. :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to TNet. You'll like it here. :hello: :hello:

Ditto on the Excal. Both the Whites operate ok, the Pulse better in the salt than the Beach Hunter. But my gripe with the Whites is the coils are too buoyant and want to float like a cork. Other manufactures don't have this problem at all and the coils don't have to be held down near the bottom. A light weight coil is fine now for the ones that work out of the water. So if you have strong arms by all means get a Whites.

As Treasure_Hunter said the Excal ignores small iron like cotter pins, nails and such so you aren't wasting time digging deep holes wearing yourself out when more time could be spent looking for the faint signals that aren't iron.

Also the Sand Shark is a great Pulse detector. But what ever you use, remember it is fun you are after. :hello:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,286624.msg2054525.html#msg2054525

OP
OP
dadzjunk

dadzjunk

Greenie
Nov 26, 2009
Shelbyville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,Whites DFX 300 , Matrix M 6, Coinmaster, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks to everyone for this excellent advise. It has been most helpful.
dadzjunk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions