Treasure Baron vs Tesoro

gsitexas

Oct 12, 2006
Stephenville, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Omega 8000, CZ-3D, Bandito II uMax and Troy X-2
How does the iron discrimination capability of a Cointrax or Goldtrax module-based Treasure Baron w/ 2.2 chip compare to say a Tesoro Bandito II uMax with respect to its ability to find quality non-ferrous item in iron-infested sites such as cellar holes or old farm home/school sites?

Similar or better capability? More or less quite? Deeper? Which module is best in thick iron?

Not looking to discredit either machine, just looking for objective comparisons. :help:

Thanks,

Keith

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
I don't know i just know how to swing & dig ............. The electrontics i don't know. I leave that up to the manufacture.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
You are asking a very difficult question.

The detectors you are asking about are kind of unknown detectors. I went to Metal Detector Review Net and found no reference to either of those detectors.

As for Tesoro detectors. They are well respected and all carry a lifetime warranty that is unquestioned when in need of warranty work. The detectors manufactured by Tesoro are all deep and people swear by them.

As for a comparison, that will be hard to find.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Most guy's here know nothing about the Barons Keith. Say you over on BJ's site.

I use the SST and Cointrax 11. The SST is a very cool machine turn on and go. Dan :thumbsup:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that if you can live with the weight the Treasure Baron would perform better and even with just the base machine plus the Pro Hunter module (which is the one most likely to be seen) the five inch coil outperforms many of the detectors on the market in those conditions. Switch to the Cointrax or Goldtrax and its better again and then George Payne upgraded the chip making a good machine even better.

The only drawback (apart from the weight) is will you be able to get coils you need to get the best from the detector. I have the stock, standard 10" and Thunderhead but got the five inch when they were almost being given away. I thought at the time it must mean the machine was about to be discontinued.

Codheads1951

May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I know your add is old, I am looking for modules for Red Baron, I am from UK my email is [email protected], I am interested if you have any thing related to the baron for sale...thanks les

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that this is an old thread but since I own both machines mentioned I figured I'd chime in. The Cointrax is noisier in iron but still very good and its adjustable discrimination in all-metal rarely gets fooled by anything ferrous. The Bandido will give a good signal on round rusty iron whereas on the Baron, a quick flip over to AM and you'll get staccato audio on iron no matter how good it sounds in motion mode. The Baron is deeper. Both have excellent separation. The Tesoro has faster recovery. The Baron is much heavier. I prefer the Baron in old sites but both of them are up to the task. I traded my DFX for a Bandido 2 µMax. I'm happy with the trade.

Last edited:

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that this is an old thread but since I own both machines mentioned I figured I'd chime in. The Cointrax is noisier in iron but still very good and its adjustable discrimination in all-metal rarely gets fooled by anything ferrous. The Bandido will give a good signal on round rusty iron whereas on the Baron, a quick flip over to AM and you'll get staccato audio on iron no matter how good it sounds in motion mode. The Baron is deeper. Both have excellent separation. The Tesoro has faster recovery. The Baron is much heavier. I prefer the Baron in old sites but both of them are up to the task. I traded my DFX for a Bandido 2 µMax. I'm happy with the trade.

If you know of someone that may want a Discovery Treasure Baron with Gold Trax module let me know. I'd like to upgrade to a modern coinshooting machine. The Baron saw very little use basically new with coil cover......just sitting in the box from the late 90s. Just shoot a fair price and may take you up on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions