Who has a detector they DO NOT like???

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where to post this...I know we all make mistakes, I would like to know who has a detector they are not happy with for whatever reason??? What brand, and why not....I always hear how happy everyone is with what they have, but there must be a few that are not...I have a Garrett 1350, that im not real excited about, it may just be me, but it tends to false alot, and is hard to pinpoint with....Thanks for any replys....Tom

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deepscan P.I. (Location Technology) was a disappointment to me but it was purely my own fault as for once in my life I didn't borrow one to test first and more importantly didn't put my brain in gear as to what I was going to do with it.
One of the most expensive machines on the market at the time (1979 or 1980). Twice the depth of any VLF detector "on any soil", "anywhere in the world".

Drawbacks. The large coil acted as a sail in the wind and with no arm rest this would mean that on the beach in the winter your wrist would be painfully twisted with each gust of wind.

The audio output was low. Fine on a field in the middle of the country but near the waves on the beach even with extra insulation fitted in the headphones you could not hear the small, weak signals of deep rings.

Response to different metals was uneven. Sold as providing 100% discrimination on silver paper....which it did but at the expence of poor depth on cupro-nickel and alloy coins.

It was the first detector I ever had to radically modify. Unfortunately this set a pattern for many machines over the following years, normally its just shaft/weight and balance thats wrong but some brands consistantly run the audio to low.

V.C.O. pinpointing. This does help to pinpoint with the larger than average coil the detector was supplied with but with a non discriminating pulse machine I like to be able to trace out the target as a guide to whether I should dig or not and the VCO made this very difficult.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian, thank you for the reply...Any others out there????

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been through over a dozen detectors looking for the right combination for me. The only detector I really didn't care for was an Eagle Spectrum. It was heavy and didn't seem to hit well on gold. It would hit on ring if it was flat, but if it was lying on edge, forget it. I also wasn't very impressed with the depth.

giverashot

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008
I did not like my Bounty Hunter III BFO in about 1973, but I did like my Compass Judge I Automatic TR in about 1975. I did not like my Whites Eagle in 1990 and I did not like my Garrett GTI 2500 later on.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXII. I hated that thing, heavy, seemed to miss a lot of targets, ate batteries like they were going out of style. I ended up loaning it to somebody and just didn't bother getting it back.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Freedom Ace 2 -loved it
Garrett GTA1000 -didn't care for it
Garrett Ace250 -hated it
Garrett GTi2500 -hated it
Minelab Sovereign GT -really, really hated it
Tesoro Tejon -liked it (coming from a history of Garrett machines, it was a flashback to the old Freedom 2)
Tesoro Golden uMax -liked it
Tesoro Vaquero -didn't like it
Tesoro Cortes -liked it
Technetics T2 -too much EMI interference, but I sold it for $1650, so for that I liked it a lot!!
Fisher F5 -awesome detector, by far the best I've had
Fisher F70 - not enough experience with it to make the call yet
Omega 8000 -on the way, really looking forward to trying this one.

Dan

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks everyone...You always hear how great the new machine is, but never the other way around...BTW, I also had a Grandmaster CXII, and that thing was hungry for battery's.....Heavy as hell too...

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garrett GTI-2500 - Never liked the Discrimination for European soil.
It was way to jumpy to actually call it disc. Its balance could also be improved.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I gotta preface my response by saying I always tried to find the strengths of my machine(s) then use them in those environments where they worked best. If that means one or more of them is useful only in carnie cleanups and totlots or dry fresh water beaches then so be it. So from my first BH's to Fisher (only brands I've used) I've always been satisfied.

I was unhappy with my CZ7 because of the battery drain problem it had, but I really trusted it on deep targets.

I'm adding a volume circuit (audio amp) to my GC 1023 right now and putting a full-size headphone jack in it. I like the fact that it is quiet in some of the playgrounds I work w/o phones but I don't want to wake some of those neighbors. And this $62 rig has found rings and coins to 8 inches in those playgrounds so I want to use it at a few other applications where headphones and volume will be a plus.

The only machine I really disliked wasn't mine, it belonged to a gal I worked with who wanted some heads-up on detecting. It was a Radio Shaft model back in the early 90's and so help me, no matter where you set it, it could not indicate a dime or nickel within an inch of the coil.

Seems if you are set on detecting farm fields, you need the right machine, same goes for torn-up sidewalks, city parks, old trails and crossings, and even the wildly varied wet sites.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the market for a new detector..(My last)..There are so many out there, it is hard to separate fact from BS...That is the point of this post...I already ruled out the 2500, to heavy, and I did not like the screen...Looking at the Minelabs maybe...i just want to hear what people do not like about there model, that will help me in my decision...I just want a good coin shooter, that goes fairly deep, and is easy to use.....I know it depends on where you are, and what you are doing, but it really helps to hear what people do not like...Once again thanks to all for your input....Tom Shaw

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
gallileo60 said:
I am in the market for a new detector..(My last)..There are so many out there, it is hard to separate fact from BS...That is the point of this post...I already ruled out the 2500, to heavy, and I did not like the screen...Looking at the Minelabs maybe...i just want to hear what people do not like about there model, that will help me in my decision...I just want a good coin shooter, that goes fairly deep, and is easy to use.....I know it depends on where you are, and what you are doing, but it really helps to hear what people do not like...Once again thanks to all for your input....Tom Shaw

Looks like your list of detectors is full of mid-level machines already so I'm guessing you really want to go high-end. Since I'm not using any of the flagship models from the respective makers I'm not willing to make any arguments against any of them.

But hunting with guys using the top of the line White's, Fisher and Minelab machines I've been very impressed. Haven't hunted with anyone using the latest top-line models from Tesoro but they have a loyal group who gets to post some great finds hereabouts also. Thing is a lot of the guys I've hunted with are relative newbies with high end machines and it seems their learning curves were not that steep.

Maybe it's just a more tech-savvy generation coming into the hobby but they're picking goodies out of spots where old timers have hunted for years and considered them cleaned out. So it's wait for the next generation of high-end detection gear to evolve or move up if you want to. The better gear costs more, just be sure to get enough time with it to make it valuable to you.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
gallileo60 said:

Looks like your list of detectors is full of mid-level machines already so I'm guessing you really want to go high-end. Since I'm not using any of the flagship models from the respective makers I'm not willing to make any arguments against any of them.

But hunting with guys using the top of the line White's, Fisher and Minelab machines I've been very impressed. Haven't hunted with anyone using the latest top-line models from Tesoro but they have a loyal group who gets to post some great finds hereabouts also. Thing is a lot of the guys I've hunted with are relative newbies with high end machines and it seems their learning curves were not that steep.

Maybe it's just a more tech-savvy generation coming into the hobby but they're picking goodies out of spots where old timers have hunted for years and considered them cleaned out. So it's wait for the next generation of high-end detection gear to evolve or move up if you want to. The better gear costs more, just be sure to get enough time with it to make it valuable to you.

I have been pondering this for about a year, or more now...Money is pretty tight, and I really want to get something I can live with for a long time...Weight is a real issue, as like so many guys the ol back is not what it used to be.......I want to say thanks to all for the help, and ideas...This site is truly a TREASURE in itself......

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
I hate my 1979 Whites coinmaster. You wanna know heavy? ha ha. I went thru the same hell of trying to decide which one would be good for me. I was really torn between the Whites DFX and the Minelab Safari. I had watched for months Looking at all the great finds and what people were using. And for my budget i finally decided on the Safari. I saw videos of them hitting a dime at 11". It impressed me enough that it is on its way. I will let you know how i like it. The only thing that kept me from getting the DFX tho was the few hundred dollars in difference. I hope you can figure it out and i will let you know how the Safari works out. Also, What type of hunting are you into? it makes a little difference on which MD is best suited.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do mostly coin shooting, at parks, and also homes when I am able...Very little on the beach...I love going to places where they have torn down older homes.....Maybe a little relic searching from time to time, but as I said VERY little beach hunting.....Thanks...Tom

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
Look up minelab safari test on youtube and check that out, i am going out this weekend to try out the new beast so i will give you the results. from what i have seen and heard it is great for all around detecting and not too high of a price tag compared to the spectra. I am into the same type of hunting and thats what was recommended to me.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weddle546 said:
Look up minelab safari test on youtube and check that out, i am going out this weekend to try out the new beast so i will give you the results. from what i have seen and heard it is great for all around detecting and not too high of a price tag compared to the spectra. I am into the same type of hunting and thats what was recommended to me.

Weddle, thanks, i really look forward to hearing what you think about it...I want something that is EASY to use like my Ace 250, but it must also have good depth in average soil..(MORE POWER)...That is the only thing my Ace is short on, of course I am addicted to the sniper coil, so I know I am losing a bit of depth...It is so light, and easy to pinpoint *Which never has been easy for me)...Thanks, Tom

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
My hunting buddy has a detector I do not like. His Ace 250 may be a fine machine to hunt with, but he prefers not to wear headphones. When hunting near me, I find myself constantly yelling "Answer that damn phone!" I will NEVER own a garrett because that bell tone drives me insane. Hopefully my new headphones block out more "ambient Garrett". JJ

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Hey Tom....was going through the same thought process last year that you are in now. I had the DFX for about 4 years after starting with the White's Classic ID (for about 6 months). In between there I picked up a good deal on e-bay on a Tesoro Silver UMax and bought it for two reasons, one I wanted to try a Tesoro and two, at 2½# I figured it would be ideal to start my granddaughter with. Really glad I had the Silver last year when the DFX had to get sent to Oregon for repairs but just can't get used to a beep and dig detector.
SO....to cut this short....I spend an hour or more at the Gold Show in Carlisle, PA last year talking to Lil-John from Finder's Keepers out of Maryland and I was overwhelmed by the prospect of the Fisher F75 LTD. After 3 months of studying and talking to people I finally pulled the trigger on one. I'm sure once all the snow goes away I'm going to have my best year to date, the machine is simple, lightweight, well balanced and deep. In 18 hours use before the snow came I was completely impressed by the Fisher.
But to answer your question.....I can't bring myself to use the Classic ID anymore for any reason....just don't like it. One tone, jumpy TID and tough pinpointing.

Good Luck

Dave

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought my first White's Coinmaster back in 1976 or 77. Twenty-five years later I bought the DFX. After using it for 2 years, I just was not really impressed. I felt like I was missing targets. Couldn't dig anything much beyond six inches or so. Someone using a Minelab seemed to be getting the goods, and as much as I tweaked the White's I just couldn't match the depth of that ML. So I bought a ML, I was astounded by the targets I had missed in all my old spots. I'm keeping the DFX for the tot lots, I like it because it's so light compared to the ML.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread