Need help desideing what detector to purchase???

steve2010

Greenie
Jan 27, 2010
somerset,PA
Hello everyone I'm from PA a high minerlized state. Iam looking for a coin detector around the $700 range. I want something that pinpoints good and that ID's good and finds coins realy good. I have 3 detectors that I've been researching but what is best for coin shooting??? The Tesoro Cortes,Fisher F70,or the Garrett GTI 1500? I heard there all good coin shooters but which is best????? Please any help will be great cause I'm getting a headache trying to deside which one to get.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum if you haven't been welcomed before. An sorry about the headache from trying to decide on which detector. The Tesoro machines like the Vaquero and Tejon are great, but they have no screen to wrongly ID the target as something you want and it is trash. They pinpoint extreamly well and are quite deep. I have a GTI 1500 which I stopped using since I prefer the Tejon and DFX for land hunting an lean more to the Tejon because of its lot lighter weight. The Cortes is also a great light weight detector that is very easy to use on coins, relics or dry sand beach hunting. It also Bangs loud on gold when disc is set low.

The Fisher F-70 is OK, I just don't care for the fishbone looking coil, a personal thing. It works well however and I have about six Fishers.

Good Luck,
Sandman

F

Felinepeachy

LOL, we've all been stressed over this very issue. I use an MXT and love it and it's excellent in highly mineralized conditions. It doesn't matter which detector you get, if you change your mind you can always sell it here and get something else. :tongue3: My hubby uses an Ace 150 which is really inexpensive, and he kicks butt finding coins. He says sometimes less is more, I think he's just lucky. :tard:

OP
OP
S

steve2010

Greenie
Jan 27, 2010
somerset,PA
ok I've been doing research and heard that the minelab xterra-705 and the Fisher F70 is great. I talked to a detector saleman and he said that he would go with the F70 cause it's best for finding coins and it loves silver he said. But then what dose everyone else think? Has anyone tried them both? If so what was the best one for finding deeper older coins?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with a Sov GT as it is a great coin getter. An if you take it to the beach it excels at dry and wet saltwater sand searching. However it doesn't come with a screen, though a meter is available if you feel you need one to lie to you. I had one on mine and took it off.

Attachments

• S-1_PROBE_ELITE2.jpg
    S-1_PROBE_ELITE2.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 452
  • Sovereign GT.jpg
    Sovereign GT.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 456
  • S-1_ELITE-_CLOSE_UP2.jpg
    S-1_ELITE-_CLOSE_UP2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 442
  • S-1_PROBE_ELITE2.jpg
    S-1_PROBE_ELITE2.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 449
  • Sovereign GT.jpg
    Sovereign GT.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 450
  • S-1_ELITE-_CLOSE_UP2.jpg
    S-1_ELITE-_CLOSE_UP2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 439

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the control box, probe switch box and meter all hip mounted now. Or I should say hanging from my neck. The probe is carried in the one trash pouch on my hip. But it was heavy when all mounted on the shaft.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
You are lucky living in Pa. The Sov GT would be a real powerhouse there. Listen to SandMan concerning the Sov on salt beaches, but the cheaper Tesoros are premium target-separators inland. So are most Fishers. Your State has roughly 1/2 the iron of most of the western States, including mine.

The Garrett weighs a ton and the F-70 w 11" coil is good for inland, especially parks. The MXT is sweet but acts up with it's stock 9.5 coil in high iron of any type - and it (the stock coil) does have some issues with salt beaches and hot rocks. Some higher-priced Tesoros have troubles with their inherent high-gain in high mineral soils.

LL

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
And in the $700.00 range a new Sovereign is $798.00.

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 342
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 333

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread