Compare the Tejon -vs- Metered detectors such as Whites,Minelab and Tecknetics

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I like the Tejon for relics. I had a DFX and it was a very nice detector, but I found myself relying on the meter to much. I also do not like computer programming. I like knobs and the light weight of the Tesoro. I have dug a little more trash, but I have dug alot more of the good stuff, too. I have gone very deep with the tejon vs the DFX and have found a BB from buck shot as well. Maybe I didn't have the DFX set right, I am not down grading it as it is a very good detector, just not for me, I like the Tejon.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
For relics I rely on the Tejon. For coins, although some people swear by it, I would prefer a tid machine.

If you relic hunt there really is no need for a meter while using the Tejon. The dual discriminators completely eliminate the need for a meter. It is simple, set both discriminators, you get a target, push the toggle switch forward into the second discriminator, if it is still loud and clear-dig. It's easy and very fast. If you set the second discriminator at about 11 o'clock you will not miss anything. The Tejon is very light, very deep, and very easy to use. You will also want to use the vco mode as this will help you gauge the depth of the target. If your detector really goes off it is either very shallow or big, or a combination of both; if the detector makes a lower tone then it is deep and worth digging.

For coins the Tejon will do fine as long as you are not in a trashy area. If you are in a trashy area you will dig a lot of holes for every coin you find. The advantage of the tid machine is that at least you will have an idea, thanks to the number, of what you may be digging.

bradsguns

Jul 5, 2007
Shell Knob, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Vaquero
I just posted this on another thread...but it applies here too ...
I would go with the Tejon...VERY DEEP on relics. I prefer the multi tones and dual discrimination over the Vaquero, but the V is a great detector too.
I had a minelab xterra 70 (705) and just prefer the simplicity, weight and depth of the tesoro. If you are going to be relic hunting, you will be digging iron, so you dont need the ID anyway. Sweep, Beep, Dig !!! You will find some good stuff !!
Brad

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a case where I would have both, if you can afford it. I do have both and at one point I tried to go with just TID, but I keep coming back to having a Tesoro machine for the simplicity, depth, and lightweight package. Like someone mentioned, if you're digging relics you're going to be digging pretty much everything anyway. My approach, when relic hunting, is to check out an area using my TID machine to get an idea that I'm in the right area. If I find something from the right period then I start in with the Tesoro and dig everything in that area. The Tejon is deeper, with minimum/no discrimination than a lot of the TID machines and certainly lighter. If I had to choose between the two I'd take the Tejon, because as you get better with it you'll dig more goodies, but with a TID you'll start to lean to much on the ID capability and while you're learning it, its wrong on deeper targets often enough that you might as well be learning a lightweight, simple machine like the Tejon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread