Minelab E-trac, White Spectra V3i and Fisher F-75LTD comparison, first post

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
If I was going to buy my first detector and know what I know now, I'd buy either the Teknetics Omega with the DD coil, or the new Fisher Gold Bug and save $1000. I've found that for $599 the Omega keeps up with the ones you mentioned, and the Gold Bug is modeled off the same platform with a higher khz. Both are the best values on the market by far.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!

I've owned both the V3 and the E-Trac and did a head-to-head. My results were this.

Short direct answer is out of the box the E-Trac is able to get a little deeper, but the V3 has the potential to go even deeper. The E-Trac will make finding deep silver easier right off the bat, but the V3 does the rest(jewelry/Relics) a bit better. If you plan to mainly hunt for very deep coins in heavily hunted parks/schools then the E-Trac would be my choice. The V3 will do a better job in a wide variety of hunting conditions.

Be leery of a salesman claiming the Volkswagen performs as well as a Ferrari for $1,000's less. A little common sense goes a long way. If it were true, don't you think everyone would be driving a Volkswagen?

Never owned the F75 but from my trusted sources I'd say the F75 is probably the best when it comes to relics, but as a coin/jewelry machine, it's too hot. An experience hunter can do well with it, but a challenge for most.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Yeah I've got a bunch of hot Omegas and Gold Bugs in the back of my car that I'm trying to unload. You've obviously never tried nor know anything about the Omega. Get up to speed!

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know a lot about Volkswagens or Ferrari's neither, but I do know enough to confidently say I'd put my money on the Ferrari. I'm sure most people would even though they have never owned either one.

As I said, common sense goes a long way.

But then I'm sure it's just a well kept secret that the Volkswagen out performs the Ferrari or else everyone would pick a Volkswagen right?

Don't get me wrong I'm sure the Omega does just fine. What I'm saying is it seems pretty obvious, by popularity, that the E-Trac must do a better job for more people. I wouldn't even attempt to use a gold bug where I hunt so it's not even in the running.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Of course your comparison of the Volkswagen to the Ferrari makes no sense in comparing the Omega to the E-trac, but it is kinda humorous. There are many inexpensive detectors that outperform detectors costing a lot more, but of course the best detector is useless if you don't know how to use it. Do you think someone who's buying their first detector should get an E-trac? Great way to get them to quit the hobby. And as someone who has used both and about everything else since the mid 1960's, my results are that the Omega keeps up with the E-trac. You can't have an opinion on the Omega because you know nothing about it. And why you wouldn't even attempt to use the new Gold Bug is beyond me. Dave Johnson designed it for bad ground. That's where the gold is.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think someone who's buying their first detector should get an E-trac? Great way to get them to quit the hobby.

Should a first time driver buy a Ferrari? It really depends on the driver. I can make suggestion, based on my experience, but in the end you can never tell what they will like or dislike. If they tell me they want a very fast sports car and money is no object, then I'll recommend a Ferrari even though I've never owned one myself.

I know what you're trying to say but it's been my experience that allowing your personal feelings to completely regulate your suggestion for someone you know little about doesn't work out so well.

I've seen first time E-Trac users take to it like a fish to water, and I've seen very experience hunters struggle to figure the E-Trac out and give up. By your comments I get the impression you found the E-Trac to be very difficult. That doesn't mean everyone will, so who are you to judge how well a first time user will take to the E-Trac? I prefer to give my experience, the good and the bad potential, and let them decide.

Without a doubt the E-Trac is the deepest turn-on-and-go I've owned period. Beside, his question was which was best between the V3i, E-Trac and F75 for a first timer. In my honest opinion the F75 is too noisy, the V3i doesn't have the out of the box performance of the E-Trac. Simple choice.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
I found getting used to the E-trac to be a piece of cake. Detectors in the 60's were very unstable and had to be tuned constantly. The E-trac is turn on and go by comparison. I don't own a part of any company, have no loyalty to any, and couldn't give a crap one way or the other about owning what's in vogue. I use what's best, and will junk one in favor of another in a heartbeat. It's just a tool, like my truck or bass boat, and I use what works best, regardless of the cost. You're right, he did want a comparison between the three. But since he knows very little about detecting, having never owned a detector, what's wrong with offering another suggestion? Just trying to give some advice based on my vast experience and knowledge. At the end of the day it matters little to me what he or you uses. But I'll eagerly compare my finds with the Omega over the last year to any E-trac user, or any other detector for that matter.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I'll eagerly compare my finds with the Omega over the last year to any E-trac user, or any other detector for that matter.

Well anyone with a fair amount of experience knows what you find "over the years" compared to what someone else finds with another brand means absolutely nothing unless you're both hunting at the same spots. For example I use the posters I see who buy a $100 Bounty Hunter and find barbers, Indian's and goodies on almost every hunt. Does this mean that $100 Bounty Hunter is a better detector than the guy with the $1200 E-Trac who just happens to be hunting is a place with nothing old to find? Only to the unexperienced.

I've used both the E-Trac and the V3 and I've read a lot about the F75. Experience has taught me that how a detector is optioned can be somewhat of a guide as to how you can expect them to perform. For example, I've used enough detectors with only a few tones to know I prefer more tones like the E-Trac or V3. I've used enough detector with a small amount of Target ID segments to know more target segments works better. The Omega 8000 has what 4 tones and 99 target ID segments? That alone tells me I would prefer the E-Trac(190 tones 1750 target ID segments) or V3i(191 tones 191 target ID segments) to it. The Omega has a 10" concentric coil compared to the E-Trac's 11" DD. Now anyone with experience care to pick which coil they prefer?

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...are ya'll brothers by chance...hmmm..same last name..

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
No, he digs everywhere and I only dig in the Shenandoah valley. As my first post stated, "Teknetics with the DD coil", which is the same coil that comes standard on the F75, which everyone knows is a hell of a coil. I for one don't need 10,000 ID segments or that many tones. The Omega has 39 iron segments, and I've found that to be enough. And four tones certainly is enough. Listen to the tone, look at the ID and see if you want to dig it or not. There really is no sense in discussing this any further. You like what you like, don't want to know about anything that might cost less and perform comparably, and I like what I like. Good luck to you, but if the E-trac is so great, why don't you own one any more? I'll own the Omega until they pry it from my cold, dead hands. Heck, you might even be doing the prying.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck to you, but if the E-trac is so great, why don't you own one any more?

I got some extra money last fall and bought both the E-Trac and the V3 specifically to do a head to head. I knew one or both would go come tax time. I know how you feel about your Omega because I feel the same about my DFX. I know without a doubt both the E-Trac and the V3 out performed my DFX, but it was my DFX I kept and sold the other 2 to pay my taxes. It also helped that my DFX was only worth about $500-$600 and I knew I could get $1200 out of each of the others. Which I did. When I am able you can bet your bottom dollar I will be buying another E-Trac or V3i.

I agree to each their own. Personally I want as many target ID segments and tones as I can get. A good 1/2 of my hunting is for gold jewelry, and 4 tones or 99 TIS's don't cut the mustard unless you just plan on digging everything. If I wanted to do that I'd just use my Tesoro Compadre which cost less than 1/2 the Omega.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
S

shelby

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2010
Thanks for all the great information (and any to come)! I'm going to get either the V3i or the F75, I just have to decide. I think I am also going to get an F4 for my two daughter's to use with dad. I'm just checking prices, they all seem to be pretty much the same on the internet (usually do to minimun pricing set by the manufactures). I really appreciate all of the advise and opinions!
Thanks,
Steve

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Everyone has given some great advise. My input would be to find a dealer for each and see which you like the best. They are all great machines and each one is different. Several of my friends have the E-trac and love it and I have several friends that have the V3 or V3i and love it as well. I am sure the Fisher is good well as I have heard many good things about them. Once you try each one I am sure you can make a sound decision. You will not go wrong with either choice. The most important thing is to learn your machine. It may be frustrating at first but give it time and you will master it and find some great recoveries.

OP
OP
S

shelby

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2010
Thanks for all the information, it has been most appreciated!
Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread