Teknetics T2 vs Minelab Safari (Air test video in HD)

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good video. I really couldn't hear much difference between the constant sputtering of the T2 in all-metal and when the targets were being hit. I thought the Minelab was better on the coins and the T2 on the gold of course.

I'm quite sure the Garrett AT Pro would have kicked the T2's backside on the gold tho.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air tests only prove that the detectors are turned on. They all behave differently when the ground is involved.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I agree that ground can affect a detectors performance greatly compared to the air test, I also believe you can tell a lot from the air test.

First off NO DETECTOR I've every owned was able to consistently go deeper in the ground than in the air test. NONE, NADA ZILCH. Yes under the right conditions I have gotten deeper in the ground than in the air test, but it was not much deeper, and very seldom. And that also includes the Minelab Sovereign which many claim is the exception.

Second, if your detector has target ID its just plain stupid to not do air tests to learn the response of various targets. Sure on targets deeper than 5" that VDI won't be near as accurate, but on the 5" and less it will be extremely accurate. So air tests also teach you what to watch for on your VDI and listen for. It also allows you you make adjustments and immediately see/hear how they affect a detectors response. Again, I realize it works best on 5" or less targets when in the ground, but it still works just fine. What percent of your digs are more than 5" deep? There ya go!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger you are mostly correct about air tests, but most newbies think the id meter should be right on without thinking the depth of the target has any bearing and don't take into account of any "Halo."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread