Garrett AT Pro or Fisher F70?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone keeps talking about the AT Pro as a great water detector. If you are JUST using a detector for water hunting, get a dedicated water detector. My pick- the Tesoro Tiger Shark.
If one is content with a single tone repeatably and thumbing disc continually, then that is an option.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GO WITH THE FISHER!!!!!!! HH.....

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason to buy the fisher is Sunray makes a inline probe for it. When I bought my t2 I wish I would have known they did'nt have one for it or I would have just got the f75. Sunray will not make one for a waterproof detector.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a at pro found some grate stuff with it ,it is a clad go baler at any speed.it seems it loves clad
dimes at good dept say 5to 6 .inch max, but I think a lot of people are confused about the iron audio though.as far has silver it hits different maybe cause its a softer metal I don't no. I did use a f75 for a short time it was better on dept just not enough time with it ( someone was going to sell decided to keep) speaking of f75 everyone knows ei. I think that's what you call it ,any way I was at a park near a concession stand and the ei was terrible almost drove me away but stuck with it and was banging out coins left and right with the at pro.this is not a dig to the f75

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason to buy the fisher is Sunray makes a inline probe for it. When I bought my t2 I wish I would have known they did'nt have one for it or I would have just got the f75. Sunray will not make one for a waterproof detector.

Would the f75 sunray fit the t2 I mean they are so much alike ya know

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would the f75 sunray fit the t2 I mean they are so much alike ya know
I ask the same thing and Dave Johnson responded that they are totally different. Sunray has a forum on another site and said if someone would start a thread showing who would buy one and enough people responded he would make them. I started a thread and only a couple of people replied, I think they do not know what they are missing. Have you tried one?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this was a compparison of the F75 and the /atpro i woould go with the Fisher. But i will go with the ATP over the F70. And as for the probe, some of us would not dare add another cable to our machines to get caught on everything. Plus it adds unnecessary weight to your machine. I'll keep my pro pointer.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this was a compparison of the F75 and the /atpro i woould go with the Fisher. But i will go with the ATP over the F70. And as for the probe, some of us would not dare add another cable to our machines to get caught on everything. Plus it adds unnecessary weight to your machine. I'll keep my pro pointer.
The probe for the f75 works on the f70. I going to guess you have never used one as I've never heard anyone say the cable gets in the way. When you use a sunray it responds through headphones and uses the disc on your detector and make find good targets in iron a snap.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The probe for the f75 works on the f70. I going to guess you have never used one as I've never heard anyone say the cable gets in the way. When you use a sunray it responds through headphones and uses the disc on your detector and make find good targets in iron a snap.

The propointer vibrates and i dont remove my headphones to use it. You may like it ....but some of us do not. Actually none of my hunting buddies like them and some own them. Im just sayin everything will not appeal to everybody. As is the case with you and the ATPro! No i havent used one. I also have never bought a pair of suspenders....i just know that i prefer a belt!

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The propointer vibrates and i dont remove my headphones to use it. You may like it ....but some of us do not. Actually none of my hunting buddies like them and some own them. Im just sayin everything will not appeal to everybody. As is the case with you and the ATPro! No i havent used one. I also have never bought a pair of suspenders....i just know that i prefer a belt!
I guess there is a first time for everything. I have nothing against the atp just some are better at certain things which you seem to agree in your post comparing the f75 to the atp.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If one is content with a single tone repeatably and thumbing disc continually, then that is an option.

Lets see- obviously you have not done much water detecting. In the water we use a sand scoop (you can google it and see a picture). If it beeps you scoop. It's a simple concept. Most rings would ID as trash anyway.

Your strength, if you want to call it that seems to be negative comments.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess there is a first time for everything. I have nothing against the atp just some are better at certain things which you seem to agree in your post comparing the f75 to the atp.

I will agree with that. The ATPro just seems to do most things pretty well, especially when you consider the price of the machine.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets see- obviously you have not done much water detecting. In the water we use a sand scoop (you can google it and see a picture). If it beeps you scoop. It's a simple concept. Most rings would ID as trash anyway.

Your strength, if you want to call it that seems to be negative comments.

Wow! After three months…nothing like being "Johnny on the spot"!

I'm still trying to figure out how "water only" fits into the OPs query re: the ATP & F70. Unless you picked up on something I missed.

Everyone keeps talking about the AT Pro as a great water detector.
No they don't. They keep talking about it VERSATILITY and it's ability to water detect. Hard to beat it's capabilities at it's price point period.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the waterproof feature is a big selling point for the ATP since the only other machines that i know of that are would be the AT Gold and the ctx3030. And ofcourse the ctx only appeals to a limited market who have $2500 to spend. I know there are plenty of "water machines" available...but they are just that...water machines.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! After three months…nothing like being "Johnny on the spot"!

I'm still trying to figure out how "water only" fits into the OPs query re: the ATP & F70. Unless you picked up on something I missed.

No they don't. They keep talking about it VERSATILITY and it's ability to water detect. Hard to beat it's capabilities at it's price point period.

Simply put you are annoying. From what I have read of your post you always have to bash somebody or there detector. My conversation with you is done as it is only fruitless and a waste of breath.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the f70 would be deeper especially in SL mode which is what the Boost Process on the F75se/T2se was based on. I like the idea of the iron audio on the AT pro and using it in fresh water is nice. Depth is also acceptable on the AT pro and the ID's don't bounce around as much. They are both fast machines. If you want an all around mid-range detector the AT pro seems like a lot of bang for the buck. If you mainly land hunt and occasionally wade knee deep in fresh water, the f70 is good, just don't get the control box wet. Both are good machines. Hope this helps
HH
John

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth is also acceptable on the AT pro and the ID's don't bounce around as much.
There's a logical explanation for this. The ATP only has 12 target segments to put a detected object into, while the F70 has 99, meaning that the target segment bins on the ATP encompass more target values per bin.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a logical explanation for this. The ATP only has 12 target segments to put a detected object into, while the F70 has 99, meaning that the target segment bins on the ATP encompass more target values per bin.

The F75 id's with 1-99 same as ATPro....and the numbers are seldom ever as constant as ATPro...if ATP jumps 2-3 numbers the F75 is going to jump 10. The F70 i am not as familiar with but the F75 i have and since it is the big brother to the F70, i would say that the ATP is going to be the more stable. The fisher (F75) only seems to "lock on" to really good targets such as coins at shallow to moderate depth. But i dig just about anything repeatable so i just deal with it. I am sure both machines do have benefits. And even user's of both are going to vary as to which they prefer. So it is hard for anyone to say which is best for you unless the waterproofing means a lot to you. Also just want to add that the F70 comes with the elliptical concentric coil, which is most of the time changed for the DD coil that the F75 uses. So this will be an extra exspense to consider.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread