Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relax, the Infinium has a hard time also picking up the same thin gold chains. As for comparing them otherwise, the Infinium LS has more depth but it responds well to small iron like hair pins while the Excal is shallower with the same size coils but has better disc. With the Excal's muilti tones targets can be ID'ed easier.

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
Birdman:
If you are detecting an area that has even moderate amount of iron objects - even small ones, the Infinium will probably be frustrating.
Being a PI, it will go a good bit deeper than the Excal, but it will scream out at the smallest iron - think single rusty staples.
Yes, there are plenty of good finds made with the Infinium, I own one and like it, but you will probably be more productive overall with the Excal if you really need a discriminator. For example, on a freshwater lake, there is often so much iron debris that I could not swing the coil on one direction without getting multiple hits. Very difficult to spend time trying to ID iron or use a "dig-em-all" approach in an environment like that. There are lots of posts on these forums about both the Excal and Infinium, do a bit of searching and you should get some more information that you may find useful - perhaps you can even connect with a TNet member that owns one and try it out.
HH.
-Scott

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good information. I was told that the infinum was a PI unit with discrimination . Wrong information I guess. Looks like I will not need to buy another water machine any time soon. :icon_pirat:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
birdman said:
Good information. I was told that the infinum was a PI unit with discrimination . Looks like I will not need to buy another water machine any time soon. :icon_pirat:

Oh it does have some discrimination in that some small iron makes a funny sound and other times it makes a regular "beep." It comes down like everything to learning your detector. Worst that can come of it is you could dig deep holes and get tired before you sweep over that shallow ring.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Have both and each has it's place. In the Bay (calm salty waters). infinium works great but near the salty ocean beachs she falses alot. If your hunting a beach with lots of compitition, I would go for a backup excal, if you have a beach that's all yours, and like to spend time digging everything..Ls is tuff at first but it grows on ya.....

I was told that the infinum was a PI unit with discrimination
it does but you end up digging just about everything...hi/lo lo/hi

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice videos! Gives me the fever for sure. I would not sell my excal for anything,I was just thinking about the Infinium for small gold chains and what not. Overseas the beaches were litered with sparkler wires and the excal would completely ignore them. Awesome machine.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Try this on your small gold chain..lower your senstivity to as low as it will go, think 4 o'clock? Then see if you can get that chain..that's in discriminate, and you have to swing somewhat slower then normal. When I first got the excalibur 800, I did find several small chains/wo pendent and I do think this is the reason. What is happening is when you have your sensitivity...run up around 12, you are covering up that signal with ground noise, the coil is detecting the matrix of the sand, and the chain..but you can't hear it cause she's under the line..this is on the beach and wet sand. I have since switched to hunting in PP, sensitivity cranked up to 9-10, and a doc's audio amp to pull up the faint's that are covered by the threshold of PP/AM..I do miss the small gold but hitting the bigger gold is what I'm after now. You know the feel, I seen your tour over in Korea..Man, what a hunters dream...

Doc's amp, going to do a how to video someday on the amp..last week she was hitting at 2 feet on some coins, with the amp, and the WOT, the diablo scoop sure helped on those deep targets last week

Old video..10inch coil, amp, sens..high, PP mode

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used