N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Re: Garrett AT Pro & Minelab Safari

I own both of them but haven't gotten around to serious side-by-side tests yet. Both do well in air tests 11"-12" on dime. Both give a good ID on my clad dime planted 5"+ deep & somewhat tilted. After we get some rain I hope I can motivate myself to do some more comparisons.

The Safari is too heavy (5.5 lbs?) but can be used with $37.95 Swingy Thingy bungee harness. The AT Pro display is too small, but one can get arms length reading glasses at Dollar Tree or Dollar Up. Possibly the multiple freqs of the Safari could give it a slight edge in some ground. Some think the AT Pro could be better on low conductors, but Safari might be better on high conductors?

So far, more old coins are reported with the over $900 Minelabs.

I have about 5 hours on the AT Pro in actual detecting. A quarter down 4" & very tilted IDed correctly as did a clad dime at 7"-very impressive for my ground where the Ace 250 & many others can get correct ID on a dime to only 4" or so.
Those coins were likely in the heavily detected park for decades (hard ground & mineralized, too).

I was using the STD mode on AT Pro with manual ground balance, no real learning required. The weight is over 3 lbs with the 4 AAs, but should be acceptable to most. The AT Pro has only 3 tones, but zincs will alternate mid & high tone. In the Pro mode, sweeping at a normal speed, the beeps all sound the same pitch & broken, but zeroing in with a slow short sweep ("Minelab Wiggle") will get the proper tone.

Am told the Minelab visual IDs are good to 7" so that would be close to same.
I noticed air testing the Safari when I had the dime out 11"-12" it gave mostly low & mid tones, so I guess one goes by the highest tone? The AT Pro kept the high tone all the way in air test in STD, but in Pro mode had both mid & high tone when dime was out 10"+. STD mode separates pretty well but read of someone finding a silver dime under a rusty nail in Pro mode.

I should have more to report in the near future, it's been too hot & humid. Best wishes, George (MN)

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Safari is a bit deeper and tone wise easier to id by sound if that's your style. Of the two I actually preferred the AT Pro and that is probably based on how I hunted with it but it worked for me. The Pro mode audio when broken as mentioned by George is due to a poor target or possibly too deep(where the Safari would win) but on average 8" it does well. What I did is if I had a signal that was good in Pro mode I would switch to standard if I got the bell tone exclusively in standard it was a coin, if Pro mode was good and bell tone was jumpy it was not. The numbers jump a little so they were not so reliable but the method above worked so well for me I have to give it the nod. The Safari is a great machine as well (obviously) and I can't say the Pro is better it was just better for me.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

We are comparing a $1000 machine to a $600 machine? Really?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Safari is more of a coin machine. AT Pro more of a jewelry/relic machine. Both will cross over but has advantages in their area.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sorry, ALL these detectors are coin machines. All will find coins, even a Bounty Hunter kiddie unit.
The difference is how and where they find them, correct IDing, and in what kinds of trash and iron, etc.
We are talking about a $1000 Minelab Safari and a $600 AT PRO.
No comparison.
That would be like comparing the Garret ACE 250 to the AT PRO.

Maybe compare the Garrett GTI 2500 and the Safari...that is fair.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What is not fair is that a $600 machine can keep up with a $1000 machine. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

CoilFisher said:
We are comparing a $1000 machine to a $600 machine? Really?
CoilFisher .. If you think that because you pay a big dollar for a detector it is better................ You are wrong and have a lot to learn........................There are a lot of detectors out there that cost around $600.00............. That will work as good and find just as much as a$1000.00 or even a $1500.00 detector....................

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LOL. Yes, price isnt everything, but these are all patented electronics and circuitry so consider that.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coilfisher have you used both? They are mighty close in many aspects. Safari has the advantage overall as it is a dumbed down Etrac.

But the differences in most scenarios are so minimal that it doesn't warrant the extra 400 in my opinion other than preference and hunting style. I happen to prefer the AT Pro to the Safari.

If I was going to spend $1000 I would just go a little further and get the Etrac.

What you get for 600 will however in no way disappoint.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well, for our benefit since you are a dealer of metal detectors why dont you give us a good explanation of how similar they are? I am not an expert so I would love the advice.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First of all the initial question "have you used both" was a serious one not sarcastic in anyway. Second I have in both replies pretty much touched on the similarities.

AT Pro: Safari: Advantage:

$589 $999 AT PRO

Water No AT PRO

Signal starts to weaken Strong signal and ID at 10-12" Safari
and or only get tone and no ID on coin consistently
on coin at about 10-12"

Easy to use understand and learn Higher learning curve AT PRO
in relatively quick time

Iron Trash separation moderate Iron trash separation
Moderate Even

Pinpoint Pinpoint AT PRO

Features/capabilities once Features capabilities once Safari
mastered mastered

Summary: For an extra $400 you get a machine that will go a little deeper in some soils, will take longer to learn, will be gone for minimum of a month if you ever need it serviced, and if you want to hunt in the water and possibly get it wet you need to spend more for another machine.

This is from my experience and others may differ, that is why it's nice to have more than one member on here. But to truly form an objective conclusion you must take it all into consideration.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow, thx for that summation. I really found that helpful!

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You brought up the money. Comparing solely on price that's my opinion.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No backlight on AT PRO...also their display numbers are smaller (ex. VDI #).
And, the Safari has the icon display of what the probable target is (coin, ring, etc.)
No volume control on the AT PRO either, unless you use their land headphones (special fitting to control housing) that have the volume adjuster built into that.

I will say one thing about the AT PRO it is very comfortable and well balanced, very light and the grip feels real good.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

headphone adapter: 400-39.95= 360.05 closing the gap.

The backlight for the Safari will cost you $300 more..but it does include an upgrade and sticker that reads Explorer SE Pro.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bumping since this is my question at the moment ........

I know I'm opening up a can of works and I am all over the place on what I want to purchase but dammit I just can;t decide and I am researching The Hell out of everything.

So this thread asks my question .... Now I KNOW, I KNOW this a $600 machine compared to a $1000 machine but like I saw stated here and elsewhere that doesn't mean the more expensive machine wins "just" because it cost more.

I know some of the advantages both ways already ....

ATP is a little lighter and waterproof etc. etc. .... all the stuff we already know
-----
And the Safari is a multiple frequency machine with better display and other cool stuff.

BUT lets get down to it ..... is the Safari in some way worth the Exact $400 Premium over the AT Pro???

I wanted to stay way from the $1K priced machines but dammit I don't want to regret it later and just buy like the AT Pro of Fisher F70 or Whites MX5 etc. etc. all in the 600 dollar range.

I would have to hold out another month or two to buy one and save the extra but I would rather be totally happy with what I get later then not s happy now you know.

I know this like all my questions and side by side evaluation questions are but can anyone really say what makes the Safari 400 bucks more then the highly popular ATP overall?

Thanks so much :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions