Tesoro Vs All the Rest (Build Quality)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True. The thing that strikes me about Dave is, he progressed as technology became more advanced! He (or his team) designs much more complex machines these days than he did when working for Tesoro or White's. Hard to compare a DJ designed Teknetics Omega to one of Dave's older designs, like the Lobo or Diablo, as far as usable features & complexity in design

I think we should ask Dave how much VLF technology has advanced over the last 20-years. In my opinion, it reached its zenith in 1995, and from then to now, it has just been repackaged and regurgitated.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I think we should ask Dave how much VLF technology has advanced over the last 20-years. In my opinion, it reached its zenith in 1995, and from then to now, it has just been repackaged and regurgitated.
That is the truth VLF has reached it peak .. But it is hard for some to understand that ... They think a GPS on there detector makes it deeper & better .. ID numbers all they do is add cost to a detector not make them deeper... And all that junk they add to a detector ...... They are all just plain old VLF...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPS not a big deal, the ability to see and read multiple targets at same time on same color screen and know which are good targets and which are iron trash is real nice....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GPS not a big deal, the ability to see and read multiple targets at same time on same color screen and know which are good targets and which are iron trash is real nice....

I agree. But, because I love being difficult, does the machine really KNOW, or is it just guessing?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,

Regardless of the machine and yes I'm a big Tesoro fan also....given the restrictions on the frequency the vlf can use not to interfere with police, fireman, radio stations,etc....they are limited as to how performance they can give....in the last 20 years or so maybe they've added an inch or two in depth and the rest is just bells and whistles unfortunately.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So ground grab, multi tones, choice of number/pitch of tones, (accurate) weatherproof, large digital VID's backlights, saving settings to memory, adjustable volume for iron tones or individual tones, lightweight, optimal ergonomics, etc... were available 20 years ago. Which machines offered these features 20 years ago?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TH,

Some club or other did some blind tests on various machines, entry level, mid range and high end.

The members ranged from rookie, to intermediate and expert....if memory serves me correctly on average they gave the proper reading about 60% of the time.....which is why I rely on sound most of the time....heck I dug a silver dime this year which rang up as a pulltab...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sound gets my attention then I circle slowly watching for at least one spot for say a "82" on my gamma.
I'll dig it then,if it won't I move on.
If I'm in an area I suspect gold jewelry then,anything between 39-59 gets dug.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So ground grab, multi tones, choice of number/pitch of tones, (accurate) weatherproof, large digital VID's backlights, saving settings to memory, adjustable volume for iron tones or individual tones, lightweight, optimal ergonomics, etc... were available 20 years ago. Which machines offered these features 20 years ago?

With all that and a bag of chips, these bells and whistles haven't moved VLF technology any further than it was 20-years ago. No additional depth, still can't tell the difference between Aluminum and Gold, and discrimination has not changed. Computers have not changed VLF tech - period.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It knows.....

OK TH, let's say you're right. So what? What makes being able to look at three targets on a screen so valuable? With my Vaquero, I have discriminated the iron target out, so the other two have to be dug up anyway - right? By the time guys with E-Trac's and Deus's decide what they are looking at on their screens, I've already dug my two-targets and moved on.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sound gets my attention then I circle slowly watching for at least one spot for say a "82" on my gamma.
I'll dig it then,if it won't I move on.
If I'm in an area I suspect gold jewelry then,anything between 39-59 gets dug.

So you're OK with leaving treasure behind because your machine told you to? :dontknow: No. no. Not me brother!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you're OK with leaving treasure behind because your machine told you to? :dontknow: No. no. Not me brother!
Ok everybody, so let's all just put it in AM single tone and dig EVERY target that beeps. Oh no, not me brother! If you don't dig it all, are you not leaving stuff behind regardless of detector being used? Why would companies bother to offer multi-tones, VID, disc, etc...on their machines? Because people got tired of breaking their backs unknowingly digging all that trash, so they used something called innovation. JMO as always!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all that and a bag of chips, these bells and whistles haven't moved VLF technology any further than it was 20-years ago. No additional depth, still can't tell the difference between Aluminum and Gold, and discrimination has not changed. Computers have not changed VLF tech - period.

I really don't believe you believe half the stuff you say. What detector 20 years ago gave you info that an etrac or 3030 does. I'm referring to ferous and conductive numbers not icon that say penny or dime. No detector will ever tell the difference between gold and aluminum.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You negative nellie's are slowly making my point for me. Twenty-years ago Dirtscratcher, our ears, just like today, told us everything we needed to know. I LOVE hunting with E-Trac and CTX 3030 folks. Instead of learning the subtle differences in signal strength and clarity, they watch a little screen for a while and try to decide whether or not to get down on a knee and dig. By the time the day is over I have covered twice the ground they have, and more often than not, have more keepers in my finds bag than they do.

In answer to your question Atomic, "Why would companies bother to offer multi-tones, VID, disc, etc...on their machines?," the answer is Marketing and Higher Profit Margins. I guess if you put lipstick on it and sprinkle on some glitter, it will appeal to a lot more people, but that doesn't make it more sensitive, accurate, or deeper.

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You negative nellie's are slowly making my point for me. Twenty-years ago Dirtscratcher, our ears, just like today, told us everything we needed to know. I LOVE hunting with E-Trac and CTX 3030 folks. Instead of learning the subtle differences in signal strength and clarity, they watch a little screen for a while and try to decide whether or not to get down on a knee and dig. By the time the day is over I have covered twice the ground they have, and more often than not, have more keepers in my finds bag than they do.

In answer to your question Atomic, "Why would companies bother to offer multi-tones, VID, disc, etc...on their machines?," the answer is Marketing and Higher Profit Margins. I guess if you put lipstick on it and sprinkle on some glitter, it will appeal to a lot more people, but that doesn't make it more sensitive, accurate, or deeper.
You are absolutely right. Look at the customers that line up outside these electronic stores to buy the latest and greatest only to be in that same line next year.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is simply amazing what can be done with software! Unfortunately Tesoro has yet to find an engineer that can keep up with the times. Companies offer these features because detectorists want them. I already answered my own question in my last post: People were getting tired of digging trash with heavy, single tone machines. Companies gave customers what they want: INNOVATION. If these features are not helpful, then why would Tesoro even bother producing a multi-tone machine with a display? What a waste of money for them when all people need is one tone and a pair of ears? Minelab, First Texas & the others should just hang it up & close shop, because Tesoro has it all figured out. Obviously Tesoro does not even agree with you or they would not bother with offering anything other than a single tone machine with no display.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You might help sell a few detectors with talk like this but I feel sorry for anyone that falls for this nonsense. If you are out hunting 3030 and etrac it is simply because you are better at the game. Anybody that believes this is missing the boat. I wanted it to be true when I bought a vaquero but no. For hunting old parks or heavily detected areas a etrac or 3030 will stump on a vaquero. Vaquero love that old iron though I'll give you that. I put a year and a half in the vaquero and dug 5 or silver coins with my explorer going back to the same places I dig more than that on good days.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might help sell a few detectors with talk like this but I feel sorry for anyone that falls for this nonsense. If you are out hunting 3030 and etrac it is simply because you are better at the game. Anybody that believes this is missing the boat. I wanted it to be true when I bought a vaquero but no. For hunting old parks or heavily detected areas a etrac or 3030 will stump on a vaquero. Vaquero love that old iron though I'll give you that. I put a year and a half in the vaquero and dug 5 or silver coins with my explorer going back to the same places I dig more than that on good days.

You should check out the Vaquero with the new 11" x 8" Widescan coil! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...rive-look-comparisons-review.html#post4784661

By the way, and for about the 1,000th time, I DO NOT work for ANY metal detector manufacturer, and I do NOT SELL metal detectors. I'm sorry it took you so long to find those five silver coins, but if you had put your Vaquero over them you would have found them. I ALWAYS love when Tesoro detractors say the Vaquero "loves old iron." Don't any of them know how to use the Discrimination dial?

Silver is simply about LOCATION. Not depth, not sensitivity, not VDI readouts or multiple tones. Old silver is about LOCATION, and nine-times out of ten, you could have found it with a Tesoro Compadre, or Garrett Ace 250.

You folks that like all the silly gizmos - Go Get 'Em, and God Bless! I for one will continue to use the tools that work best for me. :skullflag:

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...I already answered my own question in my last post:...

You are so good at that AtomicScott!

Love the insult aimed at Vince Gifford, by the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread