Tesoro Vs All the Rest (Build Quality)

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like Tesoro really makes a quality built machine as it looks real good and sturdy (high quality of build). Not to mention they offer a lifetime warranty (even though most would not cover accidental damage), it must be built well. Right? I do not own one or have ever used one, but I did read an article earlier in the year that stated they were built well. The Tesoro line does not seem to have succumbed to the light weight plastic and fragile-like construction that is widely being offered by the metal detector industry to offset operating costs and job cuts at their companies; and possibly pave their way for future repair/replacement costs? :sign13:
I can only hope being they are a smaller company and hopefully growing they will come out with some really oustanding units in the time to come (Not that they don't already), that will really change the playing field. We as metal detector enthusiasts and consumers should not have to settle for poorly built machines when paying several hundred to a thousand dollars for a unit. You do not see them making soft plastic hunting rifles. You really should be getting something rugged and durable, especially since alot of them are taken into the bush, and not just used on a park green.

Anyone have any unit to unit comparisons on build and quality?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the MXT and its a very sturdy detector, I take mine in the woods all the time. I do have a good quality cover for it as this helps to keep the switches and knobs from getting turned and flipped from saplings and branches when detecting in the woods.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoros are full of plastic. Nothing wrong with that. The plastics these days are not like the stuff from years ago. Some rods are made from plastics or carbon fiber as well as the mountings. I don't see them failing. Glock seems to have done okay with plastics and I think over half of law enforcement uses them so they must work okay long term and save some weight. I have seen a couple of cracks in coils. That is where I would like to see some improvement with maybe rubberized surfaces to help avoid the use of coil covers. Personally I think Whites needs to get out of the metal cases they have been known for and lighten their detectors. I don't have any problem with general build quaility. I think it's fair to say all brands have minor growing pains when a new model is released and can run into production line problems. I wish all of them were built anywhere but China. All of them contain parts from China even if assembled somewhere else.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally like the box made from metal its aluminum and very light weight. That is where the critical electronics are housed and it just makes me feel good they are safe in there, and you don't have near the worry about the housing cracking. Even if you wanted to open it up yourself, you don't have to worry about breaking the plastic just trying to get inside, as alot of the stuff now snaps together making really hard to get apart after its been together for a while.

rws51

May 12, 2009
coilfisher, Tesoro makes excellent metal detectors and they don't compromise the build quality to sell them a few dollars cheaper like some companies. They are built to last with high quality
components that are backed up with the best warranty in the industry.....a lifetime warranty even if you aren't the original owner. Tesoro is a family owned business and it shows in the way they treat their customers.
The great thing about Tesoro detectors is the light weight of their detectors...a little over 2 pounds for several of the current models. You can swing their detectors all day long and not wear your arm out. Try that with one of the competitors big honkin' lunchbox detectors and see how long it takes before your arm feels like it is going to fall off. You will appreciate the light weight Tesoro real quick.
Performance wise Tesoro detectors are hot on nickels and gold since they run at higher frequencies, and they do a great job on coins and relics also without all the meters and menus to have to mess with. I just got a new Vaquero recently, my 6th Tesoro since I started detecting over 30 years ago, and it is an awesome detector....smooth as silk in trash and deep on coins and very
sensitive on deep tiny objects. I have tried other brands over the years and was disappointed in their performance and build quality. Once you experience a Tesoro and how well they work, you will be leaving your other detectors at home. Try a Tesoro and see what you have been missing out on.......HH.

Roger

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoilFisher said:
Glocks aren't soft plastic.

neither are Tesoro detectors, Tesoro makes a great machine from the bottom of the line to the top , even the older machines run strong an kick butt .Not to mention the people at Tesoro are really good to deal with either if its just to get a question answered or on getting a machine repaired .Awesome folks all the way around .

OP
OP
CoilFisher

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is what I thought. I knew Tesoro made a good unit. You hear so little about them here, but the rest of the industry is cheaping out on their build quality it seems.

What I am getting at here is I believe Tesoro is making a good product because they havent sold their soul for corporate profiit; they are a small company. And, I believe we may have some good units to look forward to (not that they dont have good ones now). I have seen most of the other brands out there that have been made recently and it really is obvious on the lack of build quality.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that if a detector is used for a detector, and not a car jack, or baseball batt, the build quality is just fine, and about the same on all of them. If there was an exception it would be Garretts water machines sea hunter, and Infinium. They are terribly wobbly, and it has been brought to their attention many a time, they have failed to address it, hence, the after market shafts that are available.

I do like Tesoro, and the warranty is great piece of mind. I used Deleon for almost a full season, (briefly some others) and liked it, but got sick of monotone. The deleon also had a major flaw, making not a peep on overload targets, you could walk right past a half dollar on the surface ! They need to get off the pot and come out with a couple new models. Cripes it took them 2 years to fix their existing water machines, and start producing them again.

Before I get attacked, I'm not a Tesoro hater, they got good points, Accurate DISC, and pinpoint, simple to use, and very good depth, even on their cheapest models. BUT they do need to step into the present. Monotone is out, wearing out your disc knob, to get an idea of what is under the coil is out. All the other players have multi tone machines, even the cheapest models.

PS. sand shark is a very good PI unit as is, most others only offer 1 year warranty on water machines.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here is my thought in the last 5 years ive been detecting i've tried 20 different detectors or so and i had kept coming back to Tesoro or a analog style machine now this bologna about with the times and change well here is my suggestion, use what works and most comfortable with i've had alot of TID machines as well and there some that really work good and there are some that are not worth even close to there retail price, so when i hear you got get with the times i'm sorry i don't buy that line, but if your the type of person of bells and whistles thats great, your choice nobody says you have to be like the jones's, just my 2 cents worth!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vaquero44 said:
Ok here is my thought in the last 5 years ive been detecting i've tried 20 different detectors or so and i had kept coming back to Tesoro or a analog style machine now this bologna about with the times and change well here is my suggestion, use what works and most comfortable with i've had alot of TID machines as well and there some that really work good and there are some that are not worth even close to there retail price, so when i hear you got get with the times i'm sorry i don't buy that line, but if your the type of person of bells and whistles thats great, your choice nobody says you have to be like the jones's, just my 2 cents worth!

I don't think multi tones would be considdered "bells, and whistles".

Because Tesoro claims the smallest percentage (by a big margin) of the metal detector market of the big three, there's obviously a lot more people that share my "bologna" opinion.

These "discussions" always seem to ruffle someone's feathers, even though I mentioned all their (tesoros') good points.

Can you give us any reasons why your vaquero is better than the 20 other units, just the fact that you like it is not a reason. you can narrow down all the ones you have used to just the ones that are similarly priced.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well all i can say is everbody has an opinion and you know what opinions are like.......... i'll leave it there!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I think most people don't give Tesoro a chance. I think opinions of Tesoro would increase dramatically if people actually used them.

But look, we live in an age where detectorists like the screens and data on them, even if they're inaccurate. Tesoro only offers two machines in their lineup with screens, the Cortes and the DeLeon. Some folks like beep-and-dig, others don't. To each their own. To me, a screen gives you too many excuses not to dig and can lull you into passing up good targets.

I have owned many detectors (too many) but always came back to Tesoro. They just suited my preferences. I liked swinging a lighter weight machine that gave good depth, fast recovery and better than average discriminating capabilites.

Sure, there are other good detectors out there and I don't knock any of them (except some of those cheap Chinese knock offs). If you like swinging a White's go for it. They're good detectors, just too heavy for my taste.

Tesoro build quality is excellent. It has to be. Who else offers a lifetime warranty on their detectors?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vaquero44 said:
well all i can say is everbody has an opinion and you know what opinions are like.......... i'll leave it there!

Yes we all know what opinions are like. Least mine had specific reasons / facts.

I read over 100 of your posts, of the 20 detectors you've owned 7 of them were deleons, so I'm confused, are you knocking bells and whistles, or just those on other brands ? Or are you just knocking me With your exclaimation points ?

You made an interesting statement back in the spring (mar 30) about your two tone vaquero.
Quote;
"lets put it this way i'm willing to challenge most minelabs with it dual tone i can take a 4" iron chisel but i have to be in full disc to do itand pick up the dime behind but you have to work slow, this is the one machine i have no itching to sell right away can't wait til my ground thaws, the mannerisms of it are very simalar to the fisher 1270 just better disc and dual tone and alot lighter!"

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes i did have 7 deleons i liked them and some were hotter than others had some teknetics as well had a garrett gtp 1350 once also had a fisher f-5 a cortes do you want me to keep going........... my point is if its from 1950's to the present on equipment, doesn't matter, if it works for you great to each there own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and what exactly are the facts???? someone elses opinion maybe? but what ever pal floats your boat!

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't think multi tones would be considdered "bells, and whistles".

Because Tesoro claims the smallest percentage (by a big margin) of the metal detector market of the big three, there's obviously a lot more people that share my "bologna" opinion.

These "discussions" always seem to ruffle someone's feathers, even though I mentioned all their (tesoros') good points.

Can you give us any reasons why your vaquero is better than the 20 other units, just the fact that you like it is not a reason. you can narrow down all the ones you have used to just the ones that are similarly priced.

Rick I think your right on about the build quality being about the same in all detectors nowadays and also agree with you on multi tones being very useful.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tesoro
make's their money on there tiny computer board and dinky speakers and 10 dollar pod switches
and inexpensive toggle switches
even at that price there over priced
there's no great technology in tesoro

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tesoro
make's their money on there tiny computer board and dinky speakers and 10 dollar pod switches

Liftloop, I doubt you ever used a Tesoro in your life or you wouldn't make such a statement. White's can't afford to offer a lifetime warranty with their build quality. Then how does Tesoro do it if they are made so cheap?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tesoro

Yet my Vaquero can find anything and everything the Minelab E-Trac can. Simply Amazing!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet my Vaquero can find anything and everything the Minelab E-Trac can. Simply Amazing!

Ive used a Vaquero nothing ive seen from the performance of the machine would lead me to believe it can hit coins at 12 inches ...not even set to iron discrim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread