reg ATPro vs Tek G-2 for general coin shooting and of course gold

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
I am an ATPro owner. After 4 months or so I am starting to get more comfortable with the AT's language. It can be a bit chattery but when the coil goes over a good target the tone hits pure, and then a small "wiggle" centralizes that tone. Most of the parks I hit give me a ground balance in the 90s (thats high...right?) And a LOT of trash to weed through. I dont want to miss any gold so I never disc out the nickel range....I hate pull tabs but Id gladly dig 200 to get one good gold ring. (100+ pulltabs...no rings yet) But I digress...my post is ATPro vs Teknetics G2. Its hard not to wonder if the grass is greener somewhere else...and I read nothing but good things about the G2. Not factoring in the waterproofing of the AT....I am more interested in the capabilities of the G2 to be stable in a trashy, mineralized environment...and hold its own with most detectors on general coin depth...offer a quiet detecting experience...and sound off nice and pure on anything gold. I would imagine most who have used the G2 would say...yes...the G2 does all of that. BUT, have any of you used the G2 head to head with the ATPro and had a definite favorite? Air tests I have seen on the ATPro for gold look pretty good. Does the G2 beat it? Or if its neck and neck on depth for gold...will a gold specific detector like the G2 give me a more definite sound on a small gold ring...so I would have less of a chance of passing it over? So far i have found pleny of clad and no silver with my AT. The parks I am hitting are all over 50 years old. It seems logical to me that these parks have been hit hard over the years....and Etracs have likely pulled out most of the obvious silver. But hey...2-3 pieces of gold jewelry could pay for the detector....it would take quite a few silver coins to do that (dozens and dozens).

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't give you a head-to-head on the G2, but have you considered a smaller coil for the AT Pro to help make it a little less chatty and allow you to work a little better between the trash? The new Garrett AT Gold detector has a 5" x 8" DD coil that is completely interchangable with the the AT Pro. The MSRP is $150.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Marco feel free to give me a call to explain in better detail but I will try to answer you here.

The G2 has dual processors and is a very quiet and smooth running machine. I LOVE that machine for unmasking good targets in heavy trash or thick iron infested sites. In my opinion there is nothing better for that application. It does well on coins but excellent on lower conductors. You will dig targets and not be able to find them. You will have a small amount of dirt in your hand and swear nothing could possibly be in there but machine will still sound off. It finds the smallest of small targets. VERY sensitive. 5" DD coil is crazy good in trash. Did I mention I LOVE this machine? ha ha

AT pro might be a bit deeper than G2 bit not by allot. It does well in iron for the most part as well. Really good machine for the $ and waterproof to boot.

Be glad to help with any other questions. Bart

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• AT PRO.jpg
    AT PRO.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,395

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Follow Bart's advice. I only used a G2 once so I am no expert by any means, but I thought I was running a PI because of the small stuff it found. The small coil cures a lot of the ATP's ills if you want to think of them as ills. Would we want to use a detector that was "dumbed down?"
Sandman what detector is dumbed down the G2 or the AT Pro.?

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I think I'd agree with Bart about one doing a little better at some things & the other being a little better for something else. I have both of these detectors & many others & have had dozens of models. Think these 2 are my current favorites & expect to keep both for some time. Both are very good. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread