tesoro vaquero vs fisher 1266x

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, df, I began this hobby back in 1971 where I designed my own detectors. From my personal experience and what you wrote here, I am firmly convinced that your old 1265x needed a tuneup. There should in most cases be a slight (1/2") depth advantage for the 1265 and slightly more with the 1266 over the Cibola in average soil. Federal regulations regarding transmit power limit their power and depth anyway, so as to not interfere with pacemakers, x-ray clinics, police/fire radio transmissions, microwave power, and military communications, etc. The Tejon suffers tremendously in this dirt here but not in milder soil where it a DEPTH BEAST. Most Fishers and Whites do a tiny bit better in harsh soil than other brands though. People buy Cibolas here on the west coast mostly because they are cheaper, and easy turn-on-and-go machines. But I have never seen more than a 3" difference in depth between a $300 vlf or multi-freq detector, and a $1500 vlf or multi-freq detector, UNLESS it was being used in a (low) Fe situation, or it needs serious repairs. For example, an F-75 gets 7" right outside my front living room, a 3030 gets 6", a Sovereign gets 6", a CZ gets 6 1/2", and my Compadre gets 5". On our high black sand/salt ocean beaches they all lose about one inch more than in bad soil, unless they are a PI. It appears that you had a 1265 that needed a bit of work and a Cibola that simply worked well, I'm convinced of it now.

BTW, I can still get electronics parts for nearly every detector I want to repair. And almost like the old Compasses the 1265 and 1266 demand big money too. Both can go as high as $1100 on eBay. KellyCo has a Compass for $899.95 right now, and a Compass TR for $399.95, and a GSP nugget machine for $724.95. The 1265 and 1266 demand almost as much money not because they are scarce, but because people like them and seldom sell them..

Thanks for the response.

Larry

Last edited:

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response Larry. It could be quite possible it needed a tune up. It did have a small crack in the coil that I repaired when I got it. Please understand that I am not trying to bash it by no means. I loved that detector. I have seen instances where other folks have bought Cibola's that were not up to par while others were. The 1265x did hit deep though but it had also seen it's better days. If I were to see one perform in optimum condition it may very well change my mind altogether. I am just posting based on my experience that I have had with mine. And if mine did need need a tune up, then it would not be fair for me to assume all 1265x's performed the same way as mine did. I should keep that in mind and offer my sincere apologies. Would I want another one? Probably not just for the fact I didnt like the discrimination with that machine. Would I want a 1270? You bet your a$$ I would lol. Take care and Happy Hunting.

Greg

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Greg, no apologies needed, we are on here for the same reason, simply because this is a great hobby. And we like to share our info with other 'tector warriors like ourselves. Most of the time I like just being out there for all the reasons people can list, and the finds become secondary. I do sometimes like to help people with tech problems too. All metal detectors are not equal, even if the same model, the same mfg date, and the same price.. For me, I like the Vaquero, the Cibola, and the Silver uMax best of all the Tesoros. To me the Vaquero is the best Tesoro ever made, period. I have no brand loyalty at all, and one of my favorite is made in China, it does the absolute best at finding old copper coins in rock parking lots/play fields. Other detectors just pass by those coins, and for no apparent reason either. At 5.6 Khz it does a great job, even if its in-ground depth only reaches 4 or 5 inches.

Normally if we shake a coil hard it will not loosen it, unless if it is already somewhat loose or if we shake it TOO hard. A good shake (while it is running) will let us know if the windings are already detached, because it will sound off even if we can't detect it rattling around inside, and that looseness can create less depth easily. With it running it should not make noises just because it is shaken or slightly bumped against a rock either. This loose coil situation is the first and most likely thing that causes damage to a detector, just short of battery corrosion eating away at the internal parts. That could have been your 1265's weakness. I would like a 1270 too, but I just spent $600 on a new Garrett Sea Hunter.:icon_thumright:

Peace Greg.

Larry

Last edited:

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I'm just wondering how the tesoro vaquero would stack up against the fisher 1266x. I realize that the 1266x is out of production but I have recently considered buying one given it's reputation as a legendary relic hunting machine. Is there any users out there that have used both? I'd be glad to hear of any honest comparisons between the two.

Thanks in advance. :help:

The Fisher 1266x is in a league of it's own if it's working properly. It's like comparing a Buick to a Rolls Royce. If you find one on Ebay, you better grab it up. Not even many of the 'gee wiz' computerized $800.00 units can come close to the 1266x's sensitivity on very deep coins. Maybe the $600-$1500.00 Minelab detectors and newer $400.00-$900.00 Fisher detectors will beat it as far as deep coins goes but I don't think the Tesoro Vaquero would even come close to this hotly sought after, and hard-to-find detector. A used Fisher 1266x (around $350 - $400.00 on Ebay in good cond.) seems to hold it's resale value for around what it cost when it was new in 1991,92. Not to say the Tesoro isn't a good detector. I just don't think it will go anywhere as deep on coins. My friend has a Tesoro Silver he picked up new for $299.00 and I can go just as deep with a used $88.00 Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. A LOT of your success is you, the operator yourself and the amount of skill (you) have in properly adjusting and operating the machine to it's fullest capabilities. I have a Fisher 1260x (rarer than the 1266x) and if it hadn't come with the bulky, cumbersome 11" 'cache-hunting' searchcoil it came with and if I had the lightweight 8" 'spider' coil instead, I would maybe be using it instead of the Bounty Hunter but I would have an unfair advantage in depth over my friend's Tesoro as we often hunt as a team. If one doubts me, compare the two in an air test with a quarter being waved in front of the searchcoil of the Fisher versus the Tesoro. I saw the salesman who sold my friend his Tesoro, test a quarter on the Tesoro and it did not match the 12" detection (on a quarter) of my Fisher in an air test. The Tesoro does detect a quarter at around 8 or 9" which is still really good though. So, if you're willing to be patient, you might luck up and find one on Ebay or your local Craigslist. Good luck.

Last edited:

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vaquero should do better for depth in hot soil than the Tejon. The 1266 should outdo both of them, although it is primarily a relic machine, not necessarily an ideal coin hunter. The Tejon is notoriously noisy in high Fe soil and in some cases won't ground balance at all, it runs with too much gain that you can't dial out, because it was designed for the lighter soil in much of the SE USA and Western Europe for relic hunting.. The 1266 is one I have not owned, but the circuitry has similarities between it, the 1236, and the 1270. The Tejon is an "offshoot"(?) of the 1270 circuits. Both the "too hyper" 1270 and the Tejon have lots of stability problems in highly mineralized (Fe) soil, but the 1236 does not, it's watered-down so that it behaves better for coin hunting. Ask Keith Wills at east Texas Metal Detectors if he can repair a 1266, he is the best. 903-734-7773:thumbsup:

Larry

Just in case anybody is interested their are 2 fisher 1266 on eBay currently, both a little rough. They are both going real cheap though !!PS they are not mine, just thought I would reference them, due to the nature of discussion.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My comment didn't apply. Not much help anyway..:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have had lots of 1266x's most are all worn out because the lack of parts,but fisher still has a few parts and will repair them.i found a mint 1266x one ago and will keep it,but also have a mint 1265x with a 8"conc.coil the coil is better than the stock coil on the 1266x.
the only tesoros i have found deep are the tejon and the cibola,vaquero is not to deep.the best depth detectors are m/l and fishers.

Have you tested and found that the Cibola is deeper than the Vaquero. And do you think the Cibola is deeper than the 1266 X....Just asking
Clayton...Roadquest

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread