Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm interested to hear about this too.

It would also be interesting to hear about how the CZ line stacks up against the Tejon.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I owned the Tejon for quite awhile. Traded it for a $1000 Browning A-bolt 338 Winnie Mag rifle. The Tejon was deep as all heck in mild to moderate soil, clearly the deepest hand-held metal detector I've ever seen, and the Vaquero is it's close match. The Vaquero processes FASTER in all-metal/disc, runs quieter, smoother, and can be used more pleasantly in high Fe soil.

I think I'm going to buy a Vaquero, it is a sweetheart, but it's not ideal on salt/black sand beaches, but a bit better than the Tejon. The cz's handle that tough stuff MUCH better, almost flawlessly. My cz beat the crappe' out of my old Minelab Sovereign on west coast salt beaches, and the cz cherry-picks faster than the Sov and EXP too.

The Tejon/Vaquero both recover faster and discriminate between targets close together MUCH better than the cz's. But the cz's ALWAYS trumped the Minelab multiple freqs and even the old Compass GoldScanner series in the harshest of soils - not dramatically, but enough that you would notice it.

I currently own the best cz ever made, the cz-70. It and my old Compasses are the only ones I'd keep out of all of 30 of them. The cz's handle bad ground better than anything else, maybe even better than the old single freq Compass GoldScanners series. The Compasses even beat the new Fisher GB Pro's for tiny nugget finding. On high black sand/salt beaches the cz's work better than anything else, unless it is a PI, and the Compasses come in at a close 2nd (1" less) with it's single freq at 13.77. The Vaquero will lose 2" and be somewhat erratic on them.

I would (not) trade my cz-70 or Compass GS Pro for any brand-new E-Trac, V3i, or F-75 currently made. Nor would I trade a cz3d for one either. I view these as the ultimate supreme all-around hand-held metal detectors ever made, especially the GS Pro, it being superior for finding tear-drop size gold earrings. The Tesoros Vac/Tejon do well, but not the best at finding tiny gold objects. The Omega and GB Pros are great too, but the Omega and Tejon are noisier, and the GB Pro isn't as deep.

LL

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I've used the V for 3 +yrs now and started using a CZ3D this past fall. So I'm still seeing depth increases as my finds increase with the CZ. The CZ was tuned by Tom D and hits deeper than when purchased. In air tests (if you trust them in the real world), the CZ(max settings) beats the V(max settings but not in boost) on most non ferrous coin size targets by 1-2 inches max. When you hunt buried targets(real world) I have not seen as much difference in depth. My best with the V is a clad dime at 10 + inches. My best with the CZ with limited hunting time is at 9-10 inches. If you have conditions that let you run the V in boost mode you will hit deeper. I find myself using the CZ most because I like to hunt with tones, but still use the V with confidence in it's ability when conditions call for it. You can't go wrong with either machine.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Well-written and well-said sqwaby! :icon_thumright:

LL

rws51

May 12, 2009
In over 30 years of swinging a detector, I have tried a few different detectors....last count was 22 different machines, and my present detectors are a CZ5 and a Vaquero. Like an earlier poster said,
I wouldn't trade either of my detectors for any of the new high dollar detectors made today. I may add a Compadre to the group this spring, but I'm extremely happy with what I have now. I just can't
say enough good about the Vaquero, it is an awesome detector, and the CZ5 just plain kicks butt on the sites I hunt.........HH

Roger

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Rw one thing I've noticed; it is almost impossible to find a used cz for sale, they are just too popular. If there is one for sale , it more often than not has been abused somehow. If it has had good care, people just plain don't want to get rid of it. They are built like a tank and operate almost flawlessly. The weight doesn't bother me at all. I have only found 4 nails with my cz in the last 7 years of using it.

Tesoro and Fisher have made some excellent detectors through the years, and the Tesoros are probably the best at factory service than any other brand. Right now the best overall detectors I've ever owned are Tesoros, Fishers, and the old Compasses, with the Compasses cherry-picking better than anything else I've ever seen, and are the best tiny nugget hunters too. The cz's are good all-around vlf's, work the best in bad soil, and the Tesoros are the easiest to use and two of them go deeper than any other low frequency hand-held detector.

LL

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Th CZ 5 was the deepest machine that I have owned but it loved deep iron. I remember chopping roots for 30 minutes to come up with a small deeep rusty nail. The vaquero does well but it does not have the depth that my cz had. My deepest coin with the cz was about a foot. Deepest with the V is about 8 inches.

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HE,HE,HE:laughing7: A TESORO VAQUERO IS A BROOM STICK WITH A MAGNET AT THE END COMPARED TO A CZ FISHER.:icon_thumright:

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: I WOULD GO WITH A CZ-5 OR CZ-6,THEY COME FROM THE OLD LOS BANOS ,CALIF.I HALF A NEW --NEVER USED ---NEW ,OLD STOCK DETECTOR,IT BENCH TESTED AT 13 1/2" ON A QUARTER STRAIGHT FROM THE FACTORY.FISHERS ALWAYS HAVE THE DEPTH EVEN WITH THE STOCK COIL:icon_thumright:,HOWEVER THINGS HAVE CHANGED WITH 1ST TEXAS.:icon_scratch:

joetanner

May 13, 2012
Northwest Alabama
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont own one but I have used one and can vouch for the cz6 or cz6a. There are a few on ebay right now. The only difference i know in the two are the headphone jack type. Once requires a special adapter cord.

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
funny that I just read this post. I was just out in my test garden today and have a clad dime buried at 6" deep,that has been buried for months. I ran over it with my Vaquero with the 5.75 cencentric coil on it. It and the CZ3d (1021), will hit it good sweeping the coil 5 or 6 inches above the ground. The Cz has the stock coil on it. My Bounty Hunter pioneer 202 will just pick it up if I sweep really close against the ground. I was most impressed that the Vaquero will hit it as deep as the Cz3d will even with the small 5.75 coil.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I owned the Tejon for quite awhile. Traded it for a $1000 Browning A-bolt 338 Winnie Mag rifle. The Tejon was deep as all heck in mild to moderate soil, clearly the deepest hand-held metal detector I've ever seen, and the Vaquero is it's close match. The Vaquero processes FASTER in all-metal/disc, runs quieter, smoother, and can be used more pleasantly in high Fe soil.

I think I'm going to buy a Vaquero, it is a sweetheart, but it's not ideal on salt/black sand beaches, but a bit better than the Tejon. The cz's handle that tough stuff MUCH better, almost flawlessly. My cz beat the crappe' out of my old Minelab Sovereign on west coast salt beaches, and the cz cherry-picks faster than the Sov and EXP too.

The Tejon/Vaquero both recover faster and discriminate between targets close together MUCH better than the cz's. But the cz's ALWAYS trumped the Minelab multiple freqs and even the old Compass GoldScanner series in the harshest of soils - not dramatically, but enough that you would notice it.

I currently own the best cz ever made, the cz-70. It and my old Compasses are the only ones I'd keep out of all of 30 of them. The cz's handle bad ground better than anything else, maybe even better than the old single freq Compass GoldScanners series. The Compasses even beat the new Fisher GB Pro's for tiny nugget finding. On high black sand/salt beaches the cz's work better than anything else, unless it is a PI, and the Compasses come in at a close 2nd (1" less) with it's single freq at 13.77. The Vaquero will lose 2" and be somewhat erratic on them.

I would (not) trade my cz-70 or Compass GS Pro for any brand-new E-Trac, V3i, or F-75 currently made. Nor would I trade a cz3d for one either. I view these as the ultimate supreme all-around hand-held metal detectors ever made, especially the GS Pro, it being superior for finding tear-drop size gold earrings. The Tesoros Vac/Tejon do well, but not the best at finding tiny gold objects. The Omega and GB Pros are great too, but the Omega and Tejon are noisier, and the GB Pro isn't as deep.

LL

I gotta agree 100% the cz's are 375 h&h mags compared to 338 win mag being the best of the rest.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both a Tesoro Vaquero and a CZ5...and there is really no comparison....The CZ5 is much better when it comes to depth and discrimination. It is my primary unit and my Vaquero is only used as a backup...Just my humble opinion...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread