BountyHunter vs Ace 350

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. Sorry but hope your heart isn't set on the BH.

Ace 250 and 350 or anything else just about when you compare features, depth, and warranty.

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
Sandman said:

Ace 250 and 350 or anything else just about when you compare features, depth, and warranty.

Hi Sandman-you gave 3 reasons why the 250, 350 or just about ‘anything else’ are better when you compare;

1. Warranty-what besides Tesoro has a better warranty then the 5 years on P505? It cant be the 2 years on the Garrett units you mention because 5 years is over twice as long a warranty as the 2 years on Garrett…
2. Features-what features does the 250 or 350 have that the P505 doesn’t? Or what other detector for that matter has more features in that price range? The 505 has the same feature set and actually MORE features than 250/350 if you do your research or are familiar with both…..
3. Depth-what measuring guidelines are you using to suggest the others in that price range have better depth than the P505?

Are these just your opinions?
Are you familiar with the 505?
How did you come up with your information for your recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
note for highly minerailized type soil * a machine with "manually adjustible" ground balance will assist greatly --rather than a "preset' ground balance type machine -- there are some older "knob' style bounty hunters that are "adjustible" for high mineral issues -- I think it was the "land star' model--- its noticible due to the 3 knobs on it rather than the basic 2 knob set up on most older "knob" type bounty hunter models

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
lost hunter said:
which is the better detector bountyhunter 505 or the ace 350 in western Pa with lots of mineralized soil :blob7:
Hi Lost Hunter,

All the units you mention have about the same features, and performance. The 505 has a much better warranty of 5 years vs. only 2 years on the Garretts. If its mineralized soil the 505 ground balance and non motion all metal mode might be the best choice because the 250/350 are preset GB and only have a zero disc instead of non motion all metal mode.
The DD coil on the 350 will help with bad soil but I feel the AM mode and GB features on 505 will help more.

Hope this helps-its always best to do the research on your own before you buy.

Hope this helps,

Mike

OP
OP
L

lost hunter

Thank you for your reply, I am a proud owner of the 505 :laughing7: I just got to get the feel for the unit,only had it a short time, It started acting-up so I sent it back to the factory to get it checked out waiting for it to be returned so I can go out and play too :clock:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M Scott @ FTP said:
Sandman said:

Hi Sandman-you gave 3 reasons why the 250, 350 or just about ‘anything else’ are better when you compare;

1. Warranty-what besides Tesoro has a better warranty then the 5 years on P505? It cant be the 2 years on the Garrett units you mention because 5 years is over twice as long a warranty as the 2 years on Garrett…
2. Features-what features does the 250 or 350 have that the P505 doesn’t? Or what other detector for that matter has more features in that price range? The 505 has the same feature set and actually MORE features than 250/350 if you do your research or are familiar with both…..
3. Depth-what measuring guidelines are you using to suggest the others in that price range have better depth than the P505?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Mike you are aware that the BH line is considered disposable detectors as First Texas has a low priority on fixing them when, not if they break. I base this on years of experience trying to sell these units. Most buyers always want to upgrade right away. You will also. The higher end models are lots better of course.

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
Sandman said:
M Scott @ FTP said:
Sandman said:

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Mike you are aware that the BH line is considered disposable detectors as First Texas has a low priority on fixing them when, not if they break. I base this on years of experience trying to sell these units. Most buyers always want to upgrade right away. You will also. The higher end models are lots better of course.

Hi Sandman, You still have not answered my original questions regarding your claims on warranty, depth and features and now you are changing to another reason altogether??

Now I have some more questions:
1. Why do you think they are considered ‘disposable detectors’ by FTP with a low priority for fixing them?
2. When did you have these ‘years of experience selling these units’ and what was the name of your dealership?

The Bounty Hunter return/repair rate was 0.28% for 2011 that’s about 1/4th of 1% or 1 of 400 for units sold in 2011.
This # is actually much lower because its only based on the yearly sales and yearly returns and if compounded by the 5 year warranty and even units out of warranty sent in for 2011 its about 1 out of every 2000.

Sounds to me like you have an axe to grind and give poor advice based on only your opinions regarding detectors you know nothing about.

JMHO
Mike

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, I think you are just an enthused newbie@ FTP that has not ever used other brands of detectors to form a comparison. I don't work for the dealerships anymore but still know better quality. These are not just my opinions but most hunters. Ask anyone if they would rather use a 505. Would you rather drive a Hugo? The 505 has its place as entry level and price point sold by big box stores from clerks with pins in their heads and noses, but worse they have no experience using metal detectors. New comers to the hobby usually don't spend big bucks for fuller featured detectors and settle on entry level which is fine as they aren't sure they are going to stay in the hobby. I fear you are trying to promote the BH line up as better than the major brands when in fact they are just fun to use, but not better by a long shot. Try not to get your panties in a bunch, its just everyones opinions on these forums. Visit the other forums and ask what they think of the 505. The field tests for the BH 505 aren't glowing you know.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I for one think that a "adjustible' ground balance type unit such as the older knob type "land star' unit made by bounty hunter (since it can be adjusted to deal with nasty high mineral soils )----would be better suited to a highly minerailized area than just about any of the more modern low price end "push pad" type units would be regardless of who made the "preset" unit -- since the cheaper modern preset units are not set up for dealing with high minerail levels but "preset" for "standard mineral levels"

just a point of view -- most of the bit more costly units have a "manual' adjustment ability" to help in coping with high minerail areas. --the cheapest "adjustible' ground balance unit that I know of if you can still find one was the older knob type "land star" models.

being "properly' ground balanced --means that your machine is pumping out as much "signal" as the minerals in the ground will "allow" it to absorb --thus it operating at its "peak"--given the soil conditions and your machine's signal out put . -- may folks try to "push" too much signal into the soil trying to get "more depth" --this just leads to 'feed back' not more depth --think of signal being sent out by your machine as being like water , the soil can only "take' so much --the rest just lays on the surface as a pool-- that excess signal causes chatter and harms your detecting efforts rather than helping * -- for best detecting there must be "proper balance" grasshopper -- (I call it "zen metal detecting")

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody is ever going to agree on everything. Some people love and swear by Garretts where as I despise them. I think they have horrible recovery speed, They should have gotten with the times and had VDI before they did. I also hate how every target shallow or deep sounds the same.

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
Sandman said:
Mike, I think you are just an enthused newbie@ FTP that has not ever used other brands of detectors to form a comparison. I don't work for the dealerships anymore but still know better quality. These are not just my opinions but most hunters. Ask anyone if they would rather use a 505. Would you rather drive a Hugo? The 505 has its place as entry level and price point sold by big box stores from clerks with pins in their heads and noses, but worse they have no experience using metal detectors. New comers to the hobby usually don't spend big bucks for fuller featured detectors and settle on entry level which is fine as they aren't sure they are going to stay in the hobby. I fear you are trying to promote the BH line up as better than the major brands when in fact they are just fun to use, but not better by a long shot. Try not to get your panties in a bunch, its just everyones opinions on these forums. Visit the other forums and ask what they think of the 505. The field tests for the BH 505 aren't glowing you know.

Sandman,

First off I don’t wear ‘panties’ I was trying to tell you in a nice way that you don’t know what you are talking about regarding this subject.

I started detecting 30 years ago and have worked for all the manufacturers for the past 20 years and field tested and helped developed many of the current models on the market today. I have thousands of hours on multiple brands and models of detectors. I have used and own a 505 along with a 250 and have used a 350-I don’t think many people (like you) know detectors as well as I do since it’s been my hobby and full time job for decades. I live, work, and breathe metal detectors 24/7/365 and its my job to know about the ones I represent along with the ones we compete with.

I have long understood the stigma that goes along with the BH name and you are an excellent example of why that stigma still exists and do a great job enforcing that its because of ‘preconceived notions’.

You have zero experience with the 505 and must have overlooked the feature sets and superior warranty before you listed those as reason why its inferior.
When questioned on that you changed the subject to quality issues because you were wrong on the first 3 claims you made.
Now again you change the subject to big box and salesmen without addressing any of my questions that are still out there.
People familiar with the 505 compared to other units in its price range know how it stacks up while you obviously don’t. I realize there are better detectors out there but we are discussing a certain price point and application in mineralized soils.

So far here are your reasons;
1. Better warranty, features and performance-this is false unless you are willing to tell me how and why.
2. Quality issues-you claim to have been or worked for a dealer so have experience-back it up-when and where was this? I gave you return rates which proves you are wrong again….
3. Now its because of where they are sold and the salesmen? How does that make one unit better than another?

When did you work for a dealer and what was the name-what are you basing your claims on? I am very familiar with quality issues before FTP purchased the company. Are you generalizing because they had bad quality decades ago so it must still be true?
All you have are your preconceived notions regarding BH and the 505 and you have zero facts to back it up.

If you can answer my questions and list why other detectors are better in the same price range I would at least have an idea of where you are coming from but now it seems that from your point of view its more about it being a 'lowly' BH than it is about the units features and performance

Thanks

Mike

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
ivan salis said:
I for one think that a "adjustible' ground balance type unit such as the older knob type "land star' unit made by bounty hunter (since it can be adjusted to deal with nasty high mineral soils )----would be better suited to a highly minerailized area than just about any of the more modern low price end "push pad" type units would be regardless of who made the "preset" unit -- since the cheaper modern preset units are not set up for dealing with high minerail levels but "preset" for "standard mineral levels"

just a point of view -- most of the bit more costly units have a "manual' adjustment ability" to help in coping with high minerail areas. --the cheapest "adjustible' ground balance unit that I know of if you can still find one was the older knob type "land star" models.

being "properly' ground balanced --means that your machine is pumping out as much "signal" as the minerals in the ground will "allow" it to absorb --thus it operating at its "peak"--given the soil conditions and your machine's signal out put . -- may folks try to "push" too much signal into the soil trying to get "more depth" --this just leads to 'feed back' not more depth --think of signal being sent out by your machine as being like water , the soil can only "take' so much --the rest just lays on the surface as a pool-- that excess signal causes chatter and harms your detecting efforts rather than helping * -- for best detecting there must be "proper balance" grasshopper -- (I call it "zen metal detecting")

Great post! The 505 has the push button computer assisted ground balance.

Mike

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you take BH's so seriously. There aren't any other detectors in their price point that compare but does that mean customers should settle on the 505 BH? Everyone is in this hobby for fun but you are in it to make a profit. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't seriously think everyone would rather use a 505. Getting your "panties in a bunch" is an expression and not to mean I think you really wear them. Though now most of the guys must think you do. Why do hunters always mention wanting to Upgrade from Bounty Hunters? They are wanting other features or something BH's don't give them. You aren't reading the other posters messages are you? You waited a few weeks before attacking my opinions this time. Give it a rest as I we are entitled to our opinions just as you are.

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
Sandman said:
Sorry you take BH's so seriously. There aren't any other detectors in their price point that compare but does that mean customers should settle on the 505 BH? Everyone is in this hobby for fun but you are in it to make a profit. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't seriously think everyone would rather use a 505. Getting your "panties in a bunch" is an expression and not to mean I think you really wear them. Though now most of the guys must think you do. Why do hunters always mention wanting to Upgrade from Bounty Hunters? They are wanting other features or something BH's don't give them. You aren't reading the other posters messages are you? You waited a few weeks before attacking my opinions this time. Give it a rest as I we are entitled to our opinions just as you are.
Sandman,

Sorry you don’t know any better.
I am not attacking your opinion-you said that if you compare warranty, depth and features everything else is better—that may be your opinion but its false information since the BH has over twice the warranty and more features which would help in bad soil. When I pointed this out you said its really because they are poor quality then its worse because of the store and salesman……
Never once did you give anything credible or back it up or answer any questions.

Sorry, I visit the forums when I can and try and correct false information when I see it-If it seems I am ‘attacking’ you maybe its because you give out bad info occasionally. If ANYONE gives false information don’t you think its best if someone corrects it? What is someone says Whites only has a 1 year warranty and is made in China because they don’t like them and are trying to make them look bad with lies-is it attacking if someone replies they have a 2 year warranty and are made in the USA? I visit many forums and see lots of what people say and I hear from thousands of happy BH customers and some unhappy.

There are many that would rather use a 505 over many models but not all models-it depends on what you are comparing…I and others would rather use a 505 than any model without target ID and many with fewer features like the 150/250.

BH are all low to mid range units there is no high end-people that buy low to mid range units REGARDLESS of the brand normally want to upgrade if they get into the hobby.

I think what you are missing is that the 505 has a better warranty with more features than the other models in question and you said the opposite which is not true. You have never used one and know nothing about it and continue to dodge my questions.

You have been on this forum a long time and have lots of posts giving lots of people here help and I think that is awesome. What you say carries a lot of credibility especially to newbies and I think with that comes a certain amount of responsibility like doing your legwork and not giving out false information as you did here. If you do slip and give bad info don’t take being corrected as an attack. JMHO

I would still like to know when and where you sold detectors…. :laughing7:

Have a great day and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Thanks,
Mike

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, the people in my neck of the woods know me from the area, stores, lakes and the shows I've put on in the store and at Outdoorama. I told everyone here the name of the store and it makes no difference to anyone where I worked. Half the time I wasn't paid and I did it for a friend. If I gave out false info I apologize, but where is your loyal followers and happy customers? (Crickets, Crickets) :laughing7: If you read my preivious posts, I acknowledged the 505 had no other detectors that compare at they're price point. I and many others think there are better detectors that they won't waste their time with. Again, why does everyone want to upgrade to something better?

Sorry if I don't like the 505, but it is my opinion and I base it on my experiences. People don't have to follow any opinions in this forum or others.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To M Scott@FTP
After reading your posts here i gave my F75 to my bother 1hour ago and will sell my T2 to a friend tommrow, they are the only two FTP i have, and won`t buy any FTP from you agin.
You are a poor front man for First Texas IMO.
Gary G.A.P.metal

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
Sandman said:
Mike, the people in my neck of the woods know me from the area, stores, lakes and the shows I've put on in the store and at Outdoorama. I told everyone here the name of the store and it makes no difference to anyone where I worked. Half the time I wasn't paid and I did it for a friend. If I gave out false info I apologize, but where is your loyal followers and happy customers? (Crickets, Crickets) :laughing7: If you read my preivious posts, I acknowledged the 505 had no other detectors that compare at they're price point. I and many others think there are better detectors that they won't waste their time with. Again, why does everyone want to upgrade to something better?

Sorry if I don't like the 505, but it is my opinion and I base it on my experiences. People don't have to follow any opinions in this forum or others.
Fair enough,
Its OK if you dont like the P505 I am just asking you to base it on experience instead of a preconceived notion which seems to be the case.
Like I said all BH are low to mid range so anyone Regardless of brand with a low to mid range that gets into the hobby eventually wants to upgrade to a higher end model.
BH is the best selling detector in the country introducing many to our wonderful hobby and there are many satified customers. If you dont like it because its a BH thats OK too. Its a pretty nice unit with lots of features for the money.

Thanks agian,

Mike

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
G.A.P.metal said:
To M Scott@FTP
After reading your posts here i gave my F75 to my bother 1hour ago and will sell my T2 to a friend tommrow, they are the only two FTP i have, and won`t buy any FTP from you agin.
You are a poor front man for First Texas IMO.
Gary G.A.P.metal

Hi Gary,

Sorry you feel that way.
Do you think it would have been better for me to say nothing when someone gives misinformation on the products I represent or was it a matter of how I tried to get the truth across regarding the product?
I am unsure what I did wrong in your eyes-I am simply trying to clear up misconceptions regarding a unit and am sorry if it was offensive to you.
I thought I was being tactful in my responses and dont want to be a poor representative so any help on becoming better is appreciated
Thanks in advance.
Sincerly,

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread