Comment on pinpointers

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
After 40 years of metal detecting I've never used a pinpointer for anything else but locating nails in wall studs. The only detectors that are off more than 3" in my experience are Minelab Explorers and Sovereigns, and that was often. People seem to like them though, but I've never had the need. The Garrett Aces though were a close second for targets being off-center one way or another.

LL

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had much use for pinpointers either as the detectors can be detuned to be spot on a dime size target. A gentle push in the ground with a probe and there it was for popping out. But then there were the deeper ones that begged to be dug or the ones encased in what felt like cement. Many times if I had to dig it out, I left it there.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Right on Dennis. Those targets that seemed to be wide, but deep, I quit digging long ago, they never did turn out to be anything good. Gold never seems to be very deep though, but an old penny is a totally different thing in my experience. Silver seemed most a soft sound and never very deep either. Most of the machines I use are built for down to teardrop size items anyway, so with coils that good a pinpointer doesn't matter anyway.

Hey, I think you have an AT Pro, right? and have they gotten all those bugs worked out of them now? I've been wondering about them because I like the pleasant tones, but I still am looking at a GBPro/G2 for both salt beach/ + gold inland, and then getting an Omega too, since they are only a hair behind the depth of the V3i, eTrac, and F75 LTD. Of the latter three though, the Whites is my favorite. As you know, I don't give a rip what brand they are, as long as they fit my preferences. I know you're the same.

What do you think about the AP Pro now?

Larry

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi sandman and larry
i`v been detecting 43 years and last year i got a pinpointer a Zarcon m40 because i used 1 to rehab a house and from what i read it beats the Garrett PP and only costs 30 bucks.
but my detector does a better job than the pinpointer,.
My eyes aren`t what they used to be and it does help after a copper is out of the hole and on the ground,never used it in the hole.
Still just more to carrie around and let it home most of the time.
Gary G.A.P.metal

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larry I have no confidence in the AT PRO as a go to detector. I consider it a step up from entry level because of only one freq. ID numbers won't always lock on as the same for the same target depending on the speed of sweep or direction. I have the waterproof headphones installed and the Pro has no volume control, but it is loud enough. Changing phones is a bear with the setup they use but not impossible but the use of pliers was necessary for me. When you have experience with many detectors you develope your likes and dislikes and this one is a step up from a good BH. I haven't used the AT Gold yet, but expect it to be better. The Pro is light weight and easy to use so I might just be tainted from the POS of the first one I received.

Take care, Larry. :coffee2:

Attachments

• at gold.jpg
    at gold.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 451
  • at gold.jpg
    at gold.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 438
OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Dennis, now I know to look elsewhere... :icon_thumleft:

Larry

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I have a Garrett , we have been hunting in mud on the last few hunts.
WE all said we might go home with out one.I found my first 3 cent silver a few weeks ago.
In the mud you could chase that thing till dark.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My recovery time has gone up 10 fold since I have been using a pinpointer. As well you don't even need to cut a plug for shallow targets.
A necessity in being neat in this day and age. It should be a requirement for any park detecting.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I have a couple that I've been given I can't really be bothered with pinpointers as they are another cost and something to go wrong. Most detectors pinpoint fairly well or can be made to by detuning or even flicking the detector over and using the edge of the coil. A pinpointer with its very limited range isn't going to help with the deep targets that will start you off digging a huge hole in the wrong place. May as well get it right in the first place. Even with detectors that do give an offset signal, if modulation is used the audio volume will indicate the amount of offset you need to allow to end up digging in the right place.

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pinpointer experience:

Whites Bullseye: Worked well until the switch broke and then I tried to fix it and....... well... in the trash it went.

Vibraprobe: Did not seem as sensitive as the Bullseye and slow to respond; did not like it much.

Treasure Mate: Very good and sensitive but the two knobs on it; ground ballance and sensitivity kept getting turned in between targets so I constantly had to fiddle with it.

Garrett Pro Pointer: My current pinpointer. Like it so far but battery life might be shorter because it has a light, speaker and vibrates. But the best one so far.

Pinpointers make locating a target so much easier especially in sandy type soil.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Using a Garrett Pro pointer presently, which works well. My first which is 3 years old and still my back up is a cheap($16) Harbour Frieght, nothing fancy but gets the job done. The garrett only get about 1/4" more depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions