ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have $1500 - Help me - I'm stumped.

I currrently still use my Fisher CZ7a Quicksilver Pro (And it works good) - but I now want to add something new to my arsenal. I'm in Upstate NY and basically want something that is decent with coin and jewlery. There are so many good detectors coming out and this makes it hard to decide. I was gravitating to Minelab (E-TRAC).

You're thoughts?

Thanks!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
CZ's are still good "deep silver" machines, probably ought to keep it. For additional depth you might want get the 11 inch semi-elliptical searchcoil if you haven't already got it.

For $1500 you could two machines, a Tek Omega for lighter weight coinshooting and general purpose use, plus a Fisher GB for searching in heavy iron trash. A lot easier on your arm than the Minelab. And it also gets you two good backup and loaner machines since the Omega and GB's have short learning curves. Plus the DD searchcoils are interchangeable between those two models. Get the Omega with the 11 inch DD and the GB with the 5 inch DD and you're set. You might also want a 10 inch elliptical concentric for the Omega for working areas where there are a lot of steel bottlecaps since it does a better job on those than the DD's do.

There are lots of other thing you could do with $1500 besides that (including not letting it burn a hole in your pocket), but I did want to point out that there are lots of possibilities besides the ETrac.

--Dave J.

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
I have been looking and comparing for a long time. It really comes down to what you are goign to looking for the most. The Etrac would be my choice for coins (silver) as it is very hot on deep silver. If I was going to be hunting coins and relics, I would go with the V3i, as it much better on relics. Just my 2 cents worth, but I am sure you will get a hundred different opinions :argue: Honestly don't think you could go wrong either way.

OP
OP
ctalmadg

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies! As for the cz7a I have. I'll never get rid of it. It's actually a great machine and goes deep.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garret Infinium is a really deep machine, but does it's best in a hunted out area.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currrently still use my Fisher CZ7a Quicksilver Pro (And it works good) - but I now want to add something new to my arsenal. I'm in Upstate NY and basically want something that is decent with coin and jewlery. There are so many good detectors coming out and this makes it hard to decide. I was gravitating to Minelab (E-TRAC).

You're thoughts?

Thanks!

If your wanting the best silver machine around get the http://bigboyshobbies.net/shop/minelab-e-trac-metal-detector/. Here are better small jewelry machines out though. No one machine does it all.

If you have questions or looking for a great forum deal feel free to give me a call. Here are a few packages I have on the E-Trac to give you an idea on what I can do. Minelab E-Trac | Big Boys Hobbies

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Aurora Aqua, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper, E Trac, Dees Nutz rod, Tesoro Sand Shark. Pro pulse.
I was hunting in red clay in Georgia with one of those cool czx units and if it hadn't been rented, I would have wrapped it around a pine tree. My main units are MINEAB. I have a sovereign that will hit a can at over 4 ft. The E-TRAC is amazing, doesn't seem to care if the coin is on edge or not. Many finds where trash had caused me to miss with other detectors.

It's pretty simple, get an E-TRAC or wish you had.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point I'd say it's worth waiting to see what this new Minelab is - if it's a lighter, waterproof E-trac it's going to be at the top of my, and everyone else's wish list.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one on the forum can really help you because they don't detect the same soil conditions. Even on the beach one coast may favour Minelabs BBS/FBS, on the other the CZ may be better.
There's drawbacks with multifrequency just as there are drawbacks with single.

You can't even rely on seeing what others use in your area as they may well have fallen for the latest advertising hype. As for the new Minelab anyone who takes the plunge first needs their bumbs feeling. Rarely does a Mark 1 model stay uncharged for long. You pay a premium to be a prototype tester. At least with the XP Deus, software updates were provided for free. The Blisstool though is now on its 14th version since 2007.

I don't envy you trying to change machine at this time. If you can get to a rally and try a few so much the better but I would take your time as its so easy to be swept along in the hype.

go-rebels

Feb 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
(ex-) Whites 5900, Silver Eagle, XLT
(ex-) ML Sovereign, Explorer XS, II, Etrac
(ex-) Garrett Ace 250
(ex-) Fisher F75
Fisher F75LTD
Fisher cZ-3D cert. by Tom D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A used Etrac is a good choice, especially now that CTX fever has taken hold of the Minelab Diehard and those users are tearing apart their sofas in an attempt to fund their new machine. It's quite different than your Fisher, but should you decide you don't like it, your downside is minimal.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could buy 3 atpros lol

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that I'm just in the same boat. I been looking at YouTube and fourms for a year now seen so much stuff, first I want the 3030 then the v3i, but I like hunting in parks and woods and every thing els in that category, mainly for coins.so what I came up with is getting to detectors.I'm thinking t2 and explorer we. The t2 for woods it is light and you can lift it up and down over rocks and logs with ease.I no the deues is light to but coils cost a lot and don't want to be banging it off rocks etc. I have the atpro so I would use the explorer to go over previous spots .

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan it all depends on how much money do you really want to toss away....
I had a v3i and found it extremely complicated and found nothing more than what my mxt could find, since I couldn't make me use the v3i I ended up selling the mxt so I was forced to use it more, well I ended up selling the v3i and regretting the sale of the mxt. Now I own a at-pro ( up to tomorrow) and am going to get a whites m6, but if I could have just ONE detector it would be the MXT pro, that is my dream machine of the future.... Ah I also have a fisher cz70 on the way... Apparently best detector ever made by fisher....

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan it all depends on how much money do you really want to toss away.... I had a v3i and found it extremely complicated and found nothing more than what my mxt could find, since I couldn't make me use the v3i I ended up selling the mxt so I was forced to use it more, well I ended up selling the v3i and regretting the sale of the mxt. Now I own a at-pro ( up to tomorrow) and am going to get a whites m6, but if I could have just ONE detector it would be the MXT pro, that is my dream machine of the future.... Ah I also have a fisher cz70 on the way... Apparently best detector ever made by fisher....
what happened with the fisher cz70 norbx?? I own one and absolutely love it.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I am completely baffled as to why someone would be affectionately discussing Minelabs, Tesoros, Garretts, and Whites when Dave (Woof) just gave an in-class dissertation and a free education on how and why two certain Texas Instrument detectors is likely all that is needed.. This one really stumped me to the max. I could understand why a newbie wouldn't realize who Dave is, but the old-timers absolutely and most assuredly should.. Dave of course knows more than anybody else on this forum about metal detectors, including myself, and I too worked in the designing and production of metal detectors for one of the 5 best manufacturers, and no not TI either. Dave is the guru of metal detector professors here. People should (LISTEN) to Dave. To me it is a lot like Les Paul showing in the beer commercial the young guy how to play his guitar in a tavern, completely blowing away the young man while using the young man's guitar, the guitar that Les designed, and the guy then asking what his name is. "It's on your guitar" says Les..:laughing7: This discussion is like the guitar lesson, a "no brainer", get the Omega and the GB combination with Dave's recommendation of search coils, and you will quite simply have all you need, and for a whole lot less $$, and it's lighter too.. You can buy a lot of good beer with the money you saved by switching to T. I. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO brainer to say the least!!!!! Dave knows best!!!!

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am completely baffled as to why someone would be affectionately discussing Minelabs, Tesoros, Garretts, and Whites when Dave (Woof) just gave an in-class dissertation and a free education on how and why two certain Texas Instrument detectors is likely all that is needed.. This one really stumped me to the max. I could understand why a newbie wouldn't realize who Dave is, but the old-timers absolutely and most assuredly should.. Dave of course knows more than anybody else on this forum about metal detectors, including myself, and I too worked in the designing and production of metal detectors for one of the 5 best manufacturers, and no not TI either. Dave is the guru of metal detector professors here. People should (LISTEN) to Dave. To me it is a lot like Les Paul showing in the beer commercial the young guy how to play his guitar in a tavern, completely blowing away the young man while using the young man's guitar, the guitar that Les designed, and the guy then asking what his name is. "It's on your guitar" says Les..:laughing7: This discussion is like the guitar lesson, a "no brainer", get the Omega and the GB combination with Dave's recommendation of search coils, and you will quite simply have all you need, and for a whole lot less $$, and it's lighter too.. You can buy a lot of good beer with the money you saved by switching to T. I. :thumbsup:

where can we find this lesson? I'm intrigued!

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Read the forum above louie, Dave (Woof!) is the chief engineer at Texas Instruments (Teknetics, Bounty Hunter, Fisher)..

Last edited:

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac is a good detector as I had one for a couple years and found plenty of silver, but really lacked on the gold. I find much more gold with my MXT. I like the MXT Pro / M6 or the V3I if you want a more tech detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread