Chinese metal detector comparisons:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• comparison.JPG
    comparison.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 7,113

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why cant I find that chinese detector sale? Is it called the explorer II?

Wild Will

Greenie
May 2, 2012
Redding, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
MD-9020C Ground Search Metal Detector Treasure Hunter Gold Digger

Bought for a ten year's use. Poor quality as my Unit does not ground balance. Unit is supposed to re-balance every time one pushes red center button (shifting between discriminate & pinpoint mode). Suspect my unit is defective since only way to "calm down the unit / stop all the false tones" is to turn all the way "off" & then back "on". 8" claimed detection range is way overstated. Mine does 3" air test (highest sensitivity) on a silver quarter and less than 1" with same coin placed on surface of soil (lowest sensitivity since doesnt ground balance). Very low recovery rate (5 seconds?) going from iron to silver making it completely unuseable even in a clean farm field. No response where to return this defective unit despite stated 1 yr warranty. Only good thing is simple 3 notch discrimination did appear to work (Iron, Aluminum, Copper/Silver). Suspect a 5 cent capacitor inside has made this kid's unit a complete worthless piece of junk

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Those 9020 units are not to be taken seriously as a workable metal detector. In fact, this is the first time I've seen someone comment on them here. They currently cost $93-$97 at aliex.com. China makes many other metal detectors too, but only one manufacturer makes the best of the lot, that being American Hawks. There are 4 or more different distributors that assign their own name to these in the chart here. Out of the three different name-tagged ones that I bought, one of them got 8.5 inches air depth on a US quarter, while the other two got 7"..

The Explorer II is the same unit as the HP 1016, the American Hawks, or the Barsko Winbest, which costs $67 on Amazon. I re-tuned all three of mine internally and got another 1/2" air depth out of all three of them.

There is way too much hype and hard-sell advertising on the MD 9020c at only $97, and especially with an over-stated performance capacity. The rule of thumb is: "If it walks like a duck...etc, etc, it probably is a duck." And just to help you a bit, there are absolutely zero (new) beach machines that are worth squat that cost under $500 in America. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I own many different metal detectors, but if I want to find old brass or copper I first use the cheap (Chinese) detector , and I follow up with my CZ-70, then my Compass Relic & Coin 3rd. Those are the best three for that task, regardless of the $800+ difference between the $60 one and the $900 one. The reason they all three work best is because they run down in the 5 Khz range, and they are not complicated and messy requiring extra filters to help them through the maize of "toys" found on many other detectors. Plus their time consuming program setups often mask good targets in the process. It doesn't matter where they are made, it matters if they are successful in locating, or not. FreqvsCoin-4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe it came from Tesoro.. but when working in the industry, most of we technicians know these things anyway, it's part of the turf.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am curious if anyone has any expierience with the mp product line.My expierience with the mpx was awful.Got it as a bogo from kco.when it arrived I(finally)got a battery in it,assembled it and it was completely loose with cam shaft lock scary tight.Was totall unstable and inconsistant with test coins laid on clean ground.Major balance issue w/10"concentric coil.arm cuff way too short.Kco was great about taking it back,even paid shipping.It was a gift for a beginner but I wouldnt give it to my dog to play with.Claim was $700.00 retail...lol...not worth $25.00
btw...the target id seemed to be randomly guessing on those surface coins.I been swinging a coil for 20yrs and hunt ALOT.Worst machine In build,feel and performance I have ever held.

my question...was mine a fluke?It happens I'm sure.but I can only find one video and that guy was laughing at it too.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No Bigfoot, those poorly-made copies of American designed detectors are not aligned or tuned properly. They also use many garbage components made in China. Some will act fairly well but not as well, but they can't take the rough treatment. "Walks like a duck" always holds true in this game, so we always check that first, and never buy before we try. They do make good door stops though, but horrible boat anchors.

A word to the wise: All metal detector manufacturers use products made in China, and they have been doing this for several decades. Toyotas bought in America were MADE IN AMERICA for the last ten years. BMW's bought in America are now made in America too. Fiat, yes FIAT owns most of Chrysler Corporation, and it also owns Ferrari. Most of our appliances, our toys, our medical equipment, our electronics, and yes parts for our detectors are made in China. They buy some of our junk, we buy some of theirs. They buy our Farm machinery, heavy machinery, big trucks, cars, etc , and we buy their junk shoes, kitchen and house items, and polyester clothes. They complain about our junk too, it's an equal balance of equal exchange trash.

Last edited:

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When your in a mine field do you really want to put your life on the line with a Chinese detector?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread