Atpro vs tejon?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant swim, so I would have to take the Tejon. Honestly I hear lil about the Tejon and alot about the AT Pro. Done own one, so cant say anything else. Good Luck with the post.

OP
OP
A/CMan

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I'm defiantly a water hound I have the tiger shark and it's the best for H20 and it's a robust machine so I'm covered for the water now I want a tejon, HH acman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the Tejon and the AT PRO and can say if the Tejon was waterproof it would be as good a a Sov GT waterproof. The ATP in my opinion is unstable and falses to easy in the water and even on land within two bars of full sens. You can back off the sens on the ATP and even while holding it still, it beeps. This is not electrical interference from some other source like cell phones, microwave towers. The ATP has a meter which doesn't lock on to the target and the numbers bounce all over but keep coming back to certain ones. The Tejon has two seperate disc levels for checking a target and not just a notch system. I have stopped using the ATP. 067.gif

OP
OP
A/CMan

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info!

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are a relic hunter, then the Tejon would be the best. I used one for a few days and really didn't like it. That is just a personal choice and many love it. I was after coins and a buddy with an ace 250 sent me home with my tail between my legs.

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The atpro is far the better of the two i have both.even cheaper than the tejon. and its better
I dont know why some says they can get their to lock on i have no problims with mine. here in Ga red clay & high mineral , I also know several who have them and dont have any problims about locking on.
most detector wont lock on if its deep and your barly getting a reading

OP
OP
A/CMan

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I will give my Atpro more time. HH acman

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The atpro is far the better of the two i have both.even cheaper than the tejon. and its better
I dont know why some says they can get their to lock on i have no problims with mine. here in Ga red clay & high mineral , I also know several who have them and dont have any problims about locking on.
most detector wont lock on if its deep and your barly getting a reading
Sandmans ATpro is broke, but I dont think he believes it. Mine doesnt false and locks on.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandmans ATpro is broke, but I dont think he believes it. Mine doesnt false and locks on.

I have two AT PRO's, one newer than the other by a year. Both have been adjusted by Garrett a couple times and they still aren't up to par. Oh, the second one can be used with some success, but I feel I have lost total confidence with them. When you have stable detectors of other models you wonder why you want to waste more time with a ATP. Well, maybe that is a little strong. Even shallow targets don't lock on to numbers. That isn't important if you have a trained ear.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two AT PRO's, one newer than the other by a year. Both have been adjusted by Garrett a couple times and they still aren't up to par. Oh, the second one can be used with some success, but I feel I have lost total confidence with them. When you have stable detectors of other models you wonder why you want to waste more time with a ATP. Well, maybe that is a little strong. Even shallow targets don't lock on to numbers. That isn't important if you have a trained ear.
Maybe its the soil where you live, here in Florida the ground is really mild. Your AT may not be broke, it just might not handle your ground very well. Mine may act the same way where you live.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its the soil where you live, here in Florida the ground is really mild. Your AT may not be broke, it just might not handle your ground very well. Mine may act the same way where you live.

It has to be some kind of electrical interference because mine isn't the only one to be acting up near me. We've tried all the freq settings, different times of day and locations. ATP just might be too hot for our area. So this means our other detectors are broke.?:icon_scratch:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has to be some kind of electrical interference because mine isn't the only one to be acting up near me. We've tried all the freq settings, different times of day and locations. ATP just might be too hot for our area. So this means our other detectors are broke.?:icon_scratch:
All I know is that mine works nothing like yours...sorry you cant figure it out...at least you have other detectors.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there's the warning. The AT Pro either doesn't handle EMI to well or can't cope with ground conditions that other detectors can manage. Shows you have to pick what works well where you detect and not rely on reports/field tests made hundreds of miles away.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I respect Sandmans opinion and I have learned a lot from him. But we all have our own opinions\experiences. I love the Tejon and I really like my ATPro. I have dug relics in fields with the Tejon at depths that amazed me. Of course having the machine tweaked just right and getting enough experience with it makes a huge difference. I still had things to learn, or better understand, after my first season with the Tejon. My AT Pro has now taken over my hand after my second or third season with it. My favourite field is full of iron, tin scrap, you name it. I find it tiresome to try and discern every signals nuance with the Tejon in a field like that. The multi tone AT Pro is a huge help to me in that regard. My AT Pro is stable when I run one bar below max in town, it gets too twitchy at full bore, although I can run it with no prob. wide open in fields out of town. My Tejon is a deeper machine but the ATP is no slouch either. I use my Tejon for relics and my ATP for coins, more or less. This is basicly how I run these machines.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If yall think the ATP is twitchy....try out a F75 ltd.....lol
I run my ATP wide open, full sensitivity 90% of the time and it is quiet as a mouse.....

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Tejon, so of course I am gonna say Tejon. Tried an AT but not long enough to give a fair comparison. My only concern is that if you scratch the black housing on the AT it is yellow underneath! That's some expensive paint on them AT's!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say the tejon is going to be the deeper of the two by far......just depends on what you plan to hunt for. Newer parks, I'll take the pro....deep relics, the tejon.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know another very fine machine in the price range of a tejon is the fisher cz3d..A top machine at $805.00 new..might be the best bang for the $

NMGold

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Garrett, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I respect Sandmans opinion and I have learned a lot from him. But we all have our own opinions\experiences. I love the Tejon and I really like my ATPro. I have dug relics in fields with the Tejon at depths that amazed me. Of course having the machine tweaked just right and getting enough experience with it makes a huge difference. I still had things to learn, or better understand, after my first season with the Tejon. My AT Pro has now taken over my hand after my second or third season with it. My favourite field is full of iron, tin scrap, you name it. I find it tiresome to try and discern every signals nuance with the Tejon in a field like that. The multi tone AT Pro is a huge help to me in that regard. My AT Pro is stable when I run one bar below max in town, it gets too twitchy at full bore, although I can run it with no prob. wide open in fields out of town. My Tejon is a deeper machine but the ATP is no slouch either. I use my Tejon for relics and my ATP for coins, more or less. This is basicly how I run these machines.

In total agreement with you! I love both, the fact is that the Tejon with the 10x12 is second to none in wide open spaces! (like the desert, where I live!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread