Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Minelab ProFind vs Garrett ProPointer

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    140 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    I would like to know just one thing on the minelab. Does it go off if you try to bend the point? If I try to bend the point of my pro pointer, applying some pressure to one side, it starts beeping even if no metal is near. Does the minelab do the same?

us
    May 2012
    harrisburg, pa
    garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
    17 times
    The garret seems lime a pretty solid piece.... That must be some pressure to bend one

Charter Member
    cr

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    140 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rossman85 View Post
    The garret seems lime a pretty solid piece.... That must be some pressure to bend one
    Not at all.. Actually you don't bend it it's just the pressure that makes it go off.... I don't know how or why, the garrett doesn't look to bend at all but if you apply pressure to the tip eather on one side or the other or you push it down in the ground, slightly not very strong pressure needed.

I had 2 garretts and both do it. and aparently all of them do it. Now I don't know if the minelabs does the same thing or not.

Mar 2012
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Slight pressure on the tip (very very slight) makes some sound off, (a definite glitch) and that along with the random chattering seems to be a common problem, I personally do not have a problem with products having a "glitch", that is just life, however i do have a problem with a companys customer service treating me the way garretts customer service did.

Charter Member
    us
    Big Boys Hobbies

Jul 2005
    Moore Oklahoma
    Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
    343 times
    Metal Detecting
    I really would send it in and have it looked at if you have questions. I have seen Garrett do among things or people.

You can't really expect the pro pointer or a pro find to be as sensitive as they are and not off with pressure. It's a catch 22 thing.

Contact us for fastest and best service around!

We will beat any price or deal. Have questions on a machine?
    Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net or Call or text 405-206-9010
    Minelab Metal Detectors, Garrett Metal Detectors, XP Deus, Fisher Metal Detectors, Teknetics Metal Detectors

Minelab Partner of the year award for the USA 2012. Minelab Customer service award 2012 and 2013.

Charter Member
    cr

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    140 times
    I just got the PP from garret... NEW IN BOX and it does that .... so I am asking if some of you that has the minelabs can actually tell me if it is the same or not. Since I am seriously considering having to buy a minelab to get the problem out.

Mar 2012
    4 times
    You can't really expect the pro pointer or a pro find to be as sensitive as they are and not off with pressure. It's a catch 22 thing.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with you, sensitivity and pressure go hand in hand with these pin pointers they are very sensitive, therefore i just handle mine with kid gloves ( very soft pressure) when using it. And it will absolutely find the smallest of metal. My post earlier was to just share my experience about garrett customer service "that was horrible", but maybe the customer service rep i talked to was just exhausted and needed some downtime.

us
    Www.youtube.com/kshollywood

Jul 2010
    Flowood,ms
    Whites VX3, whites DFX
    113 times
    Relic Hunting
    Mine doesnt have to be that sensitive, just reliable, and I want one that discriminates iron, that way if there is iron in the ground and a coin my pinpointer doesn't go crazy!!!

us
    28+ years in this addicting hobby.

Jan 2007
    Oklahoma
    Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250, ExcaliburII, Tesoro Vaquero, Whites Coinmaster, Tesoro Stingray, Compass Bobcat, Garr
    88 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by attempted recovery View Post
    .....when i contacted garrett's customer service about it the lady customer rep was horrible. Her first action was to talk down to me like i was an idiot, sorta like she was trying to trick me into saying i did something to cause the problem, (which i did not),when she realized that wasn't her best course of travel all she had to say was send it to us, if it is under warranty we will look at it. in the last 25 years of my metal detecting hobby i have owned a few garrett products and i am not brand specific, but because of this lady rep. i may never own another. I thought i would just share my experience about garrett customer sevice.
    I alerted Garrett's customer service about your problem with the call.. Hopefully they will rectify the situation.. May give them another call.. Brad, Sue, or Sharon will definitely take care of you. They all detect so they will understand. To be honest that is the first time I have ever heard anything negative about Garrett's CS, sorry you got the bad response... good luck bud...
    Evan

us

Jul 2010
    Flowood,ms
    Whites VX3, whites DFX
    113 times
    Relic Hunting
    I will talk to one of them, thanks for the referral!! I'm just going to buy the new minelab and give my propointer to my hunting buddy cause he can't afford one.

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
    200 times
    Coinshooting
    The Propointer is a hunk of crap. Look how many have been sent back for repair. Where is the quality control? Just like a lemon of a used car, works great right when you get it and then it's money down the drain.
    Why do they call it "Taking a dump" when you're actually leaving one?

us

Jul 2010
    Flowood,ms
    Whites VX3, whites DFX
    113 times
    Relic Hunting
    I have to agree with you, it worked awesome at first, but now it sucks!!

Mar 2012
    4 times
    evan,

Thank you for your response, it is very appreciated, i was going to "just live with" the pro-pointers problems because it is a quality pin-pointer and i figured out a way to go around the "glitches" so far.
    "if the "glitches" don't get out of hand" i'll be okay. I am not any bit anxious about giving garrett customers service another call because i absolutely did not not like their first response to me. I have never had any dealings with garrett customer service before and i am not sure why i got the scolding i got, and you say it is the first time you ever heard anything negative about garrett customer service, but i guess there is a first time for everything. by the way do you in anyway represent garrett? not that it matters.

sincerely, james
    Gonehunting likes this.

us
    28+ years in this addicting hobby.

Jan 2007
    Oklahoma
    Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250, ExcaliburII, Tesoro Vaquero, Whites Coinmaster, Tesoro Stingray, Compass Bobcat, Garr
    88 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    evan,

Thank you for your response, it is very appreciated,
    No problem.. just hate to hear people having problems detecting, just like to help out when I can...

.....and you say it is the first time you ever heard anything negative about garrett customer service, but i guess there is a first time for everything. by the way do you in anyway represent garrett? not that it matters. sincerely, james
    No Sir. The Garrett headquarters is a bout an hour and 10 mins from where I live. So, I have hunted with Steve "Dilla" Moore several times, but other than that, I am not affiliated with them nor do I represent them in any way other than I love the AT's and the ProPointers, and appreciate what Mr. Charles has done for the hobby. I have had a Garrett detector of some sort since 1984/85 when I bought my first VLF/TR discriminator. I have been using/buying their detectors and have had detectors break down as they all do, no matter what brand. Although I hunt with other detectors, and have heard bad about them all, Garrett is one that I have not. Their Customer Service is second to none..Tesoro is another, but, again no, I haven't ever heard about bad CS from them.. Don't know what happened but it I think it is about as rare as finding a Platinum coin. Sorry bout your misfortune. Good luck in the future, Bud..
    Evan

us
    Mar 2014
    Fresno, CA.
    Saving My Pennies ........... For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
    47 times
    Metal Detecting
    Gonna bump this thread to get some up to date thoughts on these two side by side.

I am looking to buy probably a Minelab X-Terra 705 and all depending on where I buy it from there is the Pro-Find option or Pro-Pointer option in the package deals all depending where I purchase from.

Really I know they are VERY comparable but I would like to see what you all think as of late on the pros and cons of these two units and if you have used both please let us know which you like better and why.

Thanks guys and I look forward to seeing some up to date thoughts on these bad boys and how they compare!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors