Pro-Find Pinpointer fails Field test

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Propointer works good....for awhile then it's a turd and the amount of returns will tell you that.

i agree with you about the pro-pointer, it does have its problems. i.e. "erratically sounding off", "very, very ,very slight pressure on the tip making it sound off, and garretts customer service being mean. (garretts customer service being mean is my experience), but i still think it is one of the the best pin pointers available. "and i have had a few probes" I just treat mine with careful hands "meaning i don't push it hard in the soil" and it does great, with that said it still frustrates me at times by randomly sounding off. I personally believe the pro-pointers problems is something garrett can't fix without a total overhaul of the pro-pointer, and from a business standpoint i don't think that is something they are going to do just yet.

Last edited:

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having the Garrett and the Minelab I feel that the Garrett is the better buy. The Minelab holster has a belt loop on the back that can handle a belt about 13/4 inches. Certainly not my military belt. The vibration is much better on the Garrett. The Minelab seems to have a better switch design, but if it doesn't do the job as well who really cares. The good news is the best pinpointer has yet to be invented. Whites and Fisher need to step up. The Minelab will make a good back up. But I did pay more for it. Forget about the sensitivity switch. You will never take it off of high setting. I have given my honest review of Minelabs Pro Find on various forums. Some agree with me some don't. All I can say is if your really disappointed in the Garrett model go ahead and try the new Minelab. You just might like it.

L

lost hunter

I just got a bounty hunter pinpointer and all I can say is. One mans trash is another mans treasure. ROFLMAO

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
Honestly the garrett is too deep for me....li will probably buy a cheaper pinpojnter if my garrett breaks after the warranty period

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I will have my pf these days . Will post a video for pf v.s p.p.
I think the sensitivity setting is low in the video

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice video, I'm currently waiting to see what White's have to offer as their new probe, maybe this fall/winter we'll know

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
I have two minelab profinds and both work great nothing like his video shows, I think he has a bad profind.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another comparison test if anyone's interested.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that the heat is calming down im gonna try And get a comparison video up of all 3 the profind,propointer,dx-sunray should be good

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sent the worthless Propointer back, and bought a Centech. Its a lottery if you by a pin pointer. You just got to be one of the lucky ones who gets the one that works.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree with you about the pro-pointer, it does have its problems. i.e. "erratically sounding off", "very, very ,very slight pressure on the tip making it sound off, and garretts customer service being mean. (garretts customer service being mean is my experience), but i still think it is one of the the best pin pointers available. "and i have had a few probes" I just treat mine with careful hands "meaning i don't push it hard in the soil" and it does great, with that said it still frustrates me at times by randomly sounding off. I personally believe the pro-pointers problems is something garrett can't fix without a total overhaul of the pro-pointer, and from a business standpoint i don't think that is something they are going to do just yet.

the pro-pointer sounding off when you push on it is an easy Fix.
Throw 2 US Dollar coins in the cap, or 2 Quarters.
a better option may be a piece of Foam Rubber that is thick enough
to work the same. Haven't found any Foam Rubber in my home to
snip a piece & try

Ground conditions also effect them at times, and appear to
false signal on what is left of the Halo after you pull the object.
But turning the ProPointer off & on resets it.

The Sunrays still Beat all with 2 & 3 times the Depth ability
I believe headphones improve on that.

But I like the Pro-pointer as a half Priced alternative to a Sunray.

I have never used a Pro-Find, So no comment

Last edited:

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the ML Pro-find since it came out - finds the target without trouble. Perhaps the Garrett is better - don't know, but I've had no difficulty locating targets with the ML.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both the Garrett and Minelab pinpointers and both work just fine for me with very similar performance.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the test, I'm looking for a new pointer, was kinda leaning toward Garrett now I am sure, thanks! I have a Pistol probe and it is confusing. I also have a whites since 1992 that I like but it 's had it. Think I will give Garrett's. try.

Last edited:

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I think the Garrett Pro pointer is great - I have even heard of people detecting with one on their hands and knees getting 3-5 inches!

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have both the Minelab and the Garrett pin pointers, I really like the Garrett, but I use the Minelab almost exclusively now, because when I hear something it's really the target.

Reliability counts, Garrett falses all the time, I have 2 quarters in the cap.

All in all the Garrett and Minelab are about the same, not like this video suggests in my situation.

I'd buy another Minelab over another Garrett if I needed another one. You get what you pay for, the Minelab is better quality overall.

Whites is going to be releasing a new one this spring that's supposed to trump all

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
I have two garrets and the first one broke by fall of the first season. The preformace of the unit I find to be good overall, however garrets customer service is not very good from my experience with them I def will not buy anything more from them peroid.gonna try ml or whites new one when it comes out

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Try an Xpointer fur under $100

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread