Metal Detecting

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still searching huh?

I know your were asking about a couple of different ML's an MXT Pro & now a Vaq over the last several months.

Have you considered looking at an AT Pro? You like the thought of using no disc, well the AT Pro does that in awesome fashion. (Zero disc, iron audio, tone roll) I've never been able to run any other VDI machines this way. I've read several of your post re: Tesoro and hunting by tone...Well the AT Pro audio is awesome. Very easy to hunt by tone and it's how I use mine. Yes it has a VDI and it's a nice reference tool too.

I wish I had picked up the AT Pro long before I did but I had reservations about getting one because of my past experience with Garretts Ace series. While the Ace work pretty well for what they are I just wasn't impressed. Being unimpressed by those set my attitude on the negative side of the AT Pro w/o ever using one. Well I'm glad I took the chance and actually picked one up. I've owned the E-trac, Vx3, MXT Pro, Aces, Vaquero & Outlaw and the AT Pro has become my favorite machine I've ever used.

I really cant say enough good things about it's audio. There are a couple of things I don't care for but none of em revolve around any of it's performance capabilities.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
X-Terra 505 is a Great machine if you want the read out and also want a couple of customised programs. No deeper than the Vaquero, but a few more options.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry, the thing is I'm not sure I need the readout. I think I would like it, but I hunt with a Silver Umax and a Tiger Shark and do really well. I can size a target up to see if it is bigger than a coin, lift the coil to get depth, and get a lot of info from the tone. I set the Silver uMax up to cherry pick clad and silver and very seldom get fooled by trash, but it does happen once in awhile. When I get fooled it is usually a crushed twist off bottle cap. I want another detector with more depth but can't make my mind up on the display. I think a Tejon or Vaquero would serve me well, but I just don't know. Heck I have even been looking at the Eurotek Pro. The thing is I am so sold on the Tesoro's. Target separation and recovery time are incredible. If I get another brand that has more depth but doesn't have the recovery speed or target separation I won't be gaining much. I just want to make sure I get it right so my wife doesn't shoot me. She has already reminded that the Tiger Shark has not paid for itself yet!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Again two things the ATP excels at...bottle caps & target separation.

Bottle caps are pretty easy to tell with it Tone Roll. It'll give you a low high low tone most bottle caps. The trickiest ones are thr flattened out aluminum ones. They can give off a nice steady tone but the audio footprint is larger than a coin so it's still pretty easy to tell it's not coin.
Recovery is better than either the Vaq or the Outlaw I had also. It's pretty damn fast. Target separation is great too especially with the 5x8 coil.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hard to beat Tesoro's warranty, but it seems they need to modernize their machines some. That being said I am seriously considering getting a sand shark. But for land I think the AT-Pro or the xterra is a better choice.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uf u mainly want that speed & separation with a screen read out grab a deus xp of u dont want to c the screen simply take off the Box put it in ur pocket speed is just nuts & separation to check out the youtube vids

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Vaquero has a very fast recovery speed and it's also a good gold hitter

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had both, and I prefer the Xterra 505. I can usually run it at max sensitivity or very close, without interference from EMI. I couldn't get the best performance out of the Vaquero, as it was always chattery when cranking up sens/threshold to get the better depth. I don't disc out anything on the 505, (all metal 19 tones) this way I can hear/see the trash signals, as well as the good signals and decide what I want to dig. I used to crank disc up way high on the Vaq, and still I dug ALOT of small iron that sounded like coin signals. And don't forget, depending on which frequency coil you use, the 505 is like having 3 detectors in one. That's what I would call 'all-terrain'! The V is a great machine, but for my money, the Xterra 505 is much more versatile. Let us know what you decide. Good luck and HH!

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Atomicscott, do you feel the 505 will match the Vaquero for depth?

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fella, Ya I am still searching but it is for an additional land detector. When I bought the Tiger Shark the wife put a hold on another land detector for now. I am thinking about getting another land detector and hopefully I can get the okay to pull the trigger. I have used a friends AT and did not care for it. Yep it finds things plenty good, but I did not like the display or the ergonomics of that detector. Also he had to send his in twice in three years for repairs. He loves it and does well with it, but it is just not for me.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it may have been an earlier Atpro grab a deus crazy crazy detector

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atomicscott, do you feel the 505 will match the Vaquero for depth?
I have found coins at deeper depths with my 505 than the Vaquero. On dimes past 5-6" in my test garden, the Vaquero would give alot of one-way signals or short blips that I would normally not dig. The signals sounded like it was trying to disc out trash to me. Supertuning would get deeper, but it was very chatty at that hot of a setting. The 505 hits solid on dimes at 9", with a nice solid tone and ID#. With the noise cancel feature of the Xterra, it really helps to knock out EMI so you can crank the sensitivity, without falsing.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As much of a Tesoro fan as I am, I think I am gonna try an Xterra 505. I have been avoiding drinking the koolaid for a while, but I think it might be time to take a sip. I still swear by Tesoro but I think in this case the 505 is exactly what I want and am looking for. I will probably get prices from our vendors and keep an eye out for a newer used one. If I don't like it I am sure they have pretty good resale value because you don't see many for sale.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As much of a Tesoro fan as I am, I think I am gonna try an Xterra 505. I have been avoiding drinking the koolaid for a while, but I think it might be time to take a sip. I still swear by Tesoro but I think in this case the 505 is exactly what I want and am looking for. I will probably get prices from our vendors and keep an eye out for a newer used one. If I don't like it I am sure they have pretty good resale value because you don't see many for sale.

Be sure you get the 7.5 kHz coil! The unit should only run you $550.00 Good Luck!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still learning mine, but it's a great machine that's very sensitive, and goes deep. The build quality is excellent (as is Tesoro). It was a big leap for me coming from the Vaq, so much info and so many tones. But it's not a very steep learning curve.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dam, I talked to a dealer tonight on the phone, he said he was getting deeper with the Vaq than the 505. I know for some of you this would be an easy decision, but I am struggling with this one. Most of the spots I hunt are a couple of inches of topsoil and then quite sandy or dark loamy soft soil.. I would guess that my Silver uMax could get a max of about 7" maybe 8" on a quarter. I just had a 1941 wheatie at 6" with a fainter but repeatable tone. The thing is that I am finding 40's, 50's, and 60's coins at 6". Logic to me would be that the early 1900's and pre 1900's are deeper yet, I fear out of the range of my Silver uMax. It is a one great detector and has done well for me, but in my area I feel I need deeper. I know the Vaq is deep and will reach them (with my mild soil probably a Cibola too). I love the looks and features of the 505 but cannot find any depth or air test on them.

Atomicscott does have a test garden and can hit dimes at 9" with solid tone and ID. That is impressive and I believe Scott because after reading his post on several forums he is definitely not a brand basher. Makes me want to just get the 505 but I want to make sure it can match the Vaq. performance.

Terry, I respect your opinion and can usually get a good laugh from some of your post! Which do you think would better serve my needs? I realize that I am asking a Tesoro diehard that, but am interested in and respect your opinion. By the way just for the record I have never been involved in any of the Terry bashing!

Some have told me to get the 705 instead. Although I have no doubt it is a great detector, it has many features I do not need and is a hair out of my price range. I personal like the 505 better because it reportedly has the same depth but is just a simpler 705 with fewer features. Simple is good.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you are going to be a little disappointed when you continue to pull the same stuff from the the same depth as your Silver w/o pulling anything deeper.

There are a couple of places I hunt where almost every coin we've pulled has been 6" or less. Everything from pre 1900's copper/silver to modern clad. ALL in the top 6". Old no deeper than the new. These two areas have had HEAVY foot traffic over the last 150yrs and we're just not getting anything below that. One of the areas is nice black dirt thats fairly packed and the other is much like the soils you are hunting in. We've thrown some pretty heavy machinery at it too. E-tracs, Spectra, MXT Pro, Vaquero & AT Pro to name a few (most). Not one of those have pulled anything deeper than any of the others or any deeper than the Aces , BH's & CM's for that matter.
I went on the deeper quest convinced, like you, that it has to be there. Fact is, is doesn't.

Not trying to be a Negative Nancy but it just might not be there. I hope it is and wish you luck with whatever direction you decide to go.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't overlook that coil size and configuration also play a big role in depth capability, and it's not just the machine. IMO too many place importance on the machine and never stop to realize that coil selection is every bit as (if not more) important.
Often trash density limits the use of big coils, as can the presence of magnetic and conductive minerals. In mild clean conditions an 8" coil is only going to be able to see just so deep, where a 12" might easily run deeper.

You might want to look into a new/different coil for your Silver µMax before spending the $ on a new machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread