Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is such an open question that it's impossible to answer honestly.

What sort of targets are you looking for?
What are the general soil conditions where you'll do most of your hunting?
What features are you interested in a machine having?
Is warranty a big issue?

In five minutes someone will likely come along and suggest that a Garrett AT Pro is the only one worth looking at. And if you believe them without them knowing the answers to the questions that I posed, then you deserve one.

OP
OP
Goldentxman

Goldentxman

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010
Golden, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTaX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is kinda vague. I typically been coin shooting and jewelry. I am typically in sandy loam, and red gravel iron ore. I hoping to make some trips to the coast to hunt beach and in surf. I also do some fresh water and beach hunting as well. Warranty is not really big factor. Something in the 700 price range. I have found a lot with the 550 but mostly clad. That could be mostly due to the hunting grounds. I posted on another site and been getting a lot of ATPro suggestions. Have you personally used one ,and do you suggest one similar in that price range?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salt water throws a real kink in the equation, especially if you want to get in it. If all you wanted is a wet/dry salt sand machine, and one that could deal with your ore, then I'd probably look for a used Minelab Sovereign (BBS technology) or one of the mult-freq machines. Anything worth having that will allow you actually to get into salt water is likely to run a bit more than your $700 budget.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again I swear this question gets asked at least once a week problem is besides just what u wanna spend ur budget we would need what of u have a brand in mind, screen or no screen,water,or land, or both what do u wanna detect for,lots of factors to be asked befor a question like that or ur gonna get just about everyone basically telling u all kinds of detectors to get & what not yo to get lots of drama starts but there r very smart people here willing to help just evaluate some of those questions just so it can b narrowed down just askin that probly wont help u to much. Also pending on what u get dont forget ull also need at least a good digger,treasure pouch and although a pinpointer isnt a have to have right away they r very helpful to have just think about some things & reask with wants to good luck

OP
OP
Goldentxman

Goldentxman

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010
Golden, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTaX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have good diggers, pouch and pin pointer, I am only familiar with the GTAx 550 Garrett, I just want something in this decade. Although the 550 is still a good machine, just figure a lot of improvements in last 10 years. Would like a screen, back lit if possible, works in fresh and salt water, mostly coin shooting but jewelry is a plus. Water proof would be nice but not necessary. No more than 700 bucks.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can call it now r u reading the brochure for the garrett Atpro cuz what ur naming it has just no backlight but everything else u said it does & another thing its got a fast pick up in the swing awesome in iron has othet things u havent said that u will want its worth a sacrafice to back lit good separation to & it will keep up with the higher end detectors over a grand & not all will that Atpro if it were in a fancier body guarrantee it would have been a $1200 machine easy

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In five minutes someone will likely come along and suggest that a Garrett AT Pro is the only one worth looking at. And if you believe them without them knowing the answers to the questions that I posed, then you deserve one.
Wouldn't be any different if one of the Minelab drones showed up. Oh wait!

OP
OP
Goldentxman

Goldentxman

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010
Golden, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTaX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this with the 550. It still a good machine. I just feel I should upgrade. I will still keep for a loaner backup.

Attachments

• image-3515175695.jpg
    image-3515175695.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 106

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At that price, the At Pro has most of what you want. For $700, you won't find much else with target ID, waterproof, ground balance and discrimination.

Golden is near Lake Fork, isn't it?

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldentxman

Goldentxman

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010
Golden, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTaX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes fairly close, at night I can see the dam lights from my hill. 3 miles as the crow flys.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher F70, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Those are the first that come to my mind. MXT is also nice but about 100 bucks more. Keep us psoted on what you do decide on! Good Luck.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F70, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Those are the first that come to my mind. MXT is also nice but about 100 bucks more. Keep us psoted on what you do decide on! Good Luck.

Great advice

OP
OP
Goldentxman

Goldentxman

Greenie
Dec 4, 2010
Golden, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTaX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided on the At Pro. Ordered it Friday should be here today. I will keep you all posted.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided on the At Pro. Ordered it Friday should be here today. I will keep you all posted.

Congrates its a fine fine machine & ull find lots of goodies guaranteed hh

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In that price range, the Garrett at pro, tesoro vaquero, whites m6 and minelab xterra 705 (a bit over your budget)

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I accidentally hit the send button haha-

They are all great well-rounded detectors.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AT pro, problem solved :)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT pro, problem solved :)

Hahaha seems to solve a lot of problems just an all around land water, can't make up ur mind go for the one that does it all. Good luck buddy hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread