Can anyone tell me a good detector for a rookie?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of people will say a Garrett Ace 250. Nothing wrong with that - I have one. But I suggest one of the midrange Tesoros, like a Deleon.

What ever you decide on , save $100 more and get the next level up. You wont be sorry.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cibola is a fantastic machine for the money also and has a lifetime warranty.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have a minelab SE as well as an ACE 250. i can honestly say i would not recommend an SE for a beginner. not that it isn't a great machine mind you, it is in a completely different league than the 250. its just that it is a complex machine that requires a fair amount of skill to use as far as pinpointing and identifying targets. in my opinion the 250 is a much better machine to learn with. and also an incredible value for the price.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to say for ease of use....ACE 250....It is about as easy as pushing the button.....Get a Sniper coil for it, and your set......

Willy

The secret to hunting in a nail patch with an Ace 250 is to use the all-metal mode. Just ignore the low tone and wait for that partially masked mid/high tone. I've used many a detector over the years, high end to low, and find little difference in depth (up in our nasty B.C. ground) between them.. 'cept bells and whistles. A lot depends on your hunting style and circumstances. Even the most highly touted detectors have their drawbacks. ..Willy.

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
If you really get into this hobby - you will undoubtedly get more than one detector. Different detectors have advantages and disadvantages according to different styles of hunting, terrain, and what you are searching for. For coins - an I.D. machine is probably the best. However they are heavier. Some of the lightest machines out there are made by Tesoro - and most do not have I.D. capability. However - they are still some of the best that you can buy. Stick with the name brand detectors - and you can't go wrong. Certainly - more than one machine is better!

michae8888

Dec 25, 2007
Hi everyone....

I just joined this site today because I have been wanting to treasure hunt for years and finally decided to jump in and have some fun... As I was looking around for a topic to post my question I found the same question I was going to ask... I AM a rookie in every sense of the word.... In fact I have never even touched a metal detector. I am just doing my homework before I go buy one. It seems that generally I see the same answers as far as which ones are good beginner models. My personal situation is I will mostly be looking in medium to high density soil. I wouldn't mind going to the beach and doing some searching there. I may be wrong but depth seems to me to be the key. Am I correct...? I would like it to be lightweight but that is secondary. I would probably spend about $400 give or take. I like techie gadgets. I am a software engineer and that stuff doesn't deter me. Any advice will be welcomed... I look forward to my first big find! Thx everyone...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
michae8888 said:
Hi everyone....

I just joined this site today because I have been wanting to treasure hunt for years and finally decided to jump in and have some fun... As I was looking around for a topic to post my question I found the same question I was going to ask... I AM a rookie in every sense of the word.... In fact I have never even touched a metal detector. I am just doing my homework before I go buy one. It seems that generally I see the same answers as far as which ones are good beginner models. My personal situation is I will mostly be looking in medium to high density soil. I wouldn't mind going to the beach and doing some searching there. I may be wrong but depth seems to me to be the key. Am I correct...? I would like it to be lightweight but that is secondary. I would probably spend about $400 give or take. I like techie gadgets. I am a software engineer and that stuff doesn't deter me. Any advice will be welcomed... I look forward to my first big find! Thx everyone...

Welcome to TN, I sent you an IM

R

robert roy

I have to agree with the others: the Ace 250 is an excellent all around machine.
Tessor's are good but for an all around machine that lets you do it all, I think the Ace is the best buy.
I'd hold off on the F2 for awhile as it's too new and there is far too much negative feed back. So far the negatives are not really that bad in my opinion, but its still work waiting awhile. Also I don't see the F2 (from what I have read) as a do it all machine in the sense that the Ace is.
Regards
RObert R

Willy

The problem with the F2 isn't so much that the reports are incredibly bad, it's that some people have hyped the machine soooo much that it can't live up to expectations. I'd think people would know better; have seen it done with other detectors and the backlash is often extreme. Some detectors weather the storm, but others.. ..Willy.

michae8888

Dec 25, 2007
Hi again to all...
I have been watching the replies and soaking in all the advice... I also talked to Tony with TC Detectors via email and he recommended the Fisher F4. He mentioned that it came with 3 different coils and it was a great value for the money (on Sale until New Yrs $425). Does anyone have any experience with this one? And if so how would they rank it against the others that have been mentioned. I am having to strictly go on advice from others with knowledge on this one so any and all comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thx again...

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I remember when I was trying to figure out what I wanted for my first real detector. I researched for hours on end. I finally decided that I was going to figure out what machine I wanted if I had my choice of them all. Then, if it wasn't in my price range, I would find one used or save a while longer and buy what I wanted, not just something I'd want to upgrade later. I figured out what I wanted, searched the web for that model for sale, and wound up buying a barely used $1000.00 machine for $310.00. I got lucky, but it happens.

If you're like me, if you don't get the best, you'll always be wondering how much better you could be doing if you had the best. That's why I suggest getting the best from the beginning. Go ahead and jump in the deep end.

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
Cheese is right, dealers love it when you want to upgrade, they give you alitle for your trade in and make a good profit both ways, so start big.... Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing it the way cheese did, if you decide the hobby isn't for you, you can always get most, if not all your money back since you bought a top of the line machine used it will hold it's value a long time....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i have the Ace 250 use it like it...but.i.like the Minelab Sovereign... a lot better and the Minelab X-terra 70......the 2 Minelabs have tone ID ..and ..iron mask....................==JIm==

OkieMike

Dec 19, 2007
Moore,Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre and Cibola.
Take this advice for what it's worth.I'm on alot of other metal detecting sites,and i'm starting to read about people trading in Ace 250's for Tesoros.IMHO Tesoros are easier to pin point with. Plus they have a life time warranty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread