Can anyone tell me a good detector for a rookie?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with the major brands, Garrett,Fisher, Minelab,Tesoro, Whites. As far as the features it depends on what suits you best, what is great for one person may not be for you. Do you like to tinker with adjustments and different programs, or do you like to keep things simple? Also where you are going to search makes a big difference, beach, schoolyards, ghost towns etc. The standard answer for a beginner seems to be Garrett Ace 250, but this is not for everybody, everyplace. Best bet is talk to a multi line dealer and discuss your needs, or at least give us a little more info. Take your time, this is a great hobby and a lot of fun, but it can be frustrating if you get a detector that doesn't suit you.

jlepien

Jan 29, 2007
Same question but I will elaborate a bit.
Complete newbee. Want to start detecting. Would like to keep it under $300.00 and plan to use it at parks, beaches and basically any other place where there might be interesting stuff to find. I have 2 small "helpers" that want to dig the holes for me. I am fairly certain they will get bored with that quickly. I would like to keep things simple and reliable. Perhaps something that will find most types of things fairly easily. I live in Southeast Texas - North Houston Area. I doubt I will be searching for artifacts or relics in the beginning, but would like to find something to keep me going. I prefer interesting things to just coins but will settle. Anyhow, any assistance would be helpful. Thanks in advance. This site is awesome.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
J,

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. I would look at the Compadre by Tesoro. It is super easy to use. Just turn on and go. It is very lightweight and the shaft is adjustable for your helpers. I bought mine for less than $200. Just my opinion. Hope it helps. But please, stay with the major brands that are already listed above (posted by l.cutler)

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I can't say enough about the Ace 250. I have been detecting since 1984 with several brands and types on units. I would say I'm not a novice. I sold all my expensive detectors when I bought the Ace 250. Light, loaded, powerfull, small sniper coil, and only $200.00 for a new one!

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big.......I was in your shoes about a month ago. I had 2 old detectors and found a lot of stuff...bottle caps..pull tabs and a few coins...Since that didn't deter me from detecting I figured it was time for an upgrade. I did a lot of research and read most everything I could on the subject. I ended up with the Garrett Ace 250....I didn't have a lot of cash and they are very affordable..got mine for $212 with extra goodies to boot. I haven't had much time to use it but the couple of hours I have....at a local park and ballfield...found almost 6 bucks in coins and my first Merc dime. Here is a forum you might want to visit .......
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,209.0.html
Good Hunting my friend\
Randy

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
A lot of us beginners that have 20 plus years under our belts still like using the Ace 250. Don't let the price alone tag a detector a beginer model. I was sceptical to buy a Ace 250. I thought "this thing can't be that good" but it is! I can afford any detector I want but the 250 is just too fun to swing. Yes, if your on a salt beach or highly mineralized ground you would need a different detector. But for hunting good ground and fresh water this detector can do it. Just my opionion.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
khouse said:
A lot of us beginners that have 20 plus years under our belts still like using the Ace 250. Don't let the price alone tag a detector a beginer model. I was sceptical to buy a Ace 250. I thought "this thing can't be that good" but it is! I can afford any detector I want but the 250 is just too fun to swing. Yes, if your on a salt beach or highly mineralized ground you would need a different detector. But for hunting good ground and fresh water this detector can do it. Just my opionion.

i agree that the 250 is an awful lot of detector for the money. for the price it is hard to beat. ;)

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Good advice... but check this out....

To make a long story short. Someone told me that they were recomended the Ace and bought it and as soon as they went hunting with someone who had a Minelab they went and bought a minelab....... They said it was worth it and that much better.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Bigtime,
Do you really want to spend $1000.00 on a detector only to find out you don't like detecting? You could spend up to $4000.00 if you want. Tell us all what your hunting and where? We need to know your budget? Don't forget accessories. For most ground the Ace 250 will get the job done. Then if you feel the need to spend a thousand or two dollars then so be it.
I will tell you that finding the good places to hunt and just knowing your detector (any priced detector) will net you the goodies. As long as you keep in mind that your not going to get rich detecting - you'll be ok.

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Well thats just it. The Ace 250 very affordable and not that big of a deal if I dont like detecting (which I dont think would happen) The minelab se I have heard good things about but its over $1000. Thats a little steep. But I could wing it and if it is significanly better.... I might concider it. $4000 is out of the question. I plan on searching old houses. Nails from the roof could pose a problem and I heard that the Minelab is alot better at detecting coins if they were near these. Not to mention I hear stories about coins that are burried by my inlaws place but I know they are deeper then a few inches. I think I am leaning twords the cheaper "starter" detector just because I can get a feel for what I want and later upgrade.

I live in southern WI with alot of clay. My inlaws live up north with more sand. I plan on searching both areas. Mostly the old houses school yards etc for coins mainly and whatever else I find.

Thats another good question. What do you need for accessories?

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Old house sites are full of iron objects like nails,hinges,bolts,nuts,trash etc.....
This will mess with any priced detector. What you need if you buy an Ace 250 is a sniper coil. heavy digging knife, electronic pinpointer, small pouch for starters.
The sniper is for better target separation so you might as well get it when you order your detector.
I would recommend to start learning in your own yard. Target recovery is key. You can not just go to a yard and start digging unless you have good skills in this area. After you search your yard then progress to a bark chip or gravel play area. This will hone your pinpointing and retrieval skills. Only after plenty of practice can you venture to a nice yard. If you buy an Ace 250 start with the sensitivity at 4 bars then move up from there.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigtime400 said:
Well thats just it. The Ace 250 very affordable and not that big of a deal if I dont like detecting (which I dont think would happen) The minelab se I have heard good things about but its over $1000. Thats a little steep. But I could wing it and if it is significanly better.... I might concider it. $4000 is out of the question. I plan on searching old houses. Nails from the roof could pose a problem and I heard that the Minelab is alot better at detecting coins if they were near these. Not to mention I hear stories about coins that are burried by my inlaws place but I know they are deeper then a few inches. I think I am leaning twords the cheaper "starter" detector just because I can get a feel for what I want and later upgrade.

I live in southern WI with alot of clay. My inlaws live up north with more sand. I plan on searching both areas. Mostly the old houses school yards etc for coins mainly and whatever else I find.

Thats another good question. What do you need for accessories?

If you are leaning toward a starter but have a budget that allows the mid priced machines by all means, go with something in the $500-$600.00 range. There are some excellent Target ID detectors available in that price range that will handle the iron at those old sites and are easy to use. The difference in finds between a good mid-priced detector and top of the line units like the Explorer has more to do with the operators proficiency than anything else. You will get a little better depth in some circumstances by spending more $$ but ultimate depth is not the end all.

Tom

jlepien

Jan 29, 2007
Ron (PA) suggested the Tesoro Compadre and I bought one.
Went out for the first time today and learned the following:

1. City/County parks in my area don't allow metal detecting :P
2. That the Tesoro Compadre is easy to use
3. That the Tesoro Compadre find things very deep
4. That digging 8-10 inches deep for a Chuck E Cheese token will certainly give you a chuckle

Found about 20 coins and 1 silver earring in about 2 hours. Nothing old or particularly interesting but a great learning experience.

This is a great hobby. Thanks for the tip Ron (PA). Now all I need is to find is places to detect.
I live in North Houston.

Ideas?

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Tell them you work for the FBI and are hunting for underground Taliban fighters with shrapnel bombs filled with loose change. See... I just found another quarter! ;)

Thanks for all the info. How much is the Tesoro? and have you used others?

No one told me yet what other equipment I would need.

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
look at used minelab sovereign (sovereign, sovereign xs, sovereign xs2, etc. they're basically same machine) with modified minelab meter (reads on 180 scale versus 550 scale) or better yet sunray dti ll meter. in auto mode it is basically a turn on and go machine and meter will tell you what type target you have.as your knowledge grows you can begin to use manual mode and tweek machine for even better depth.(the sovs are legendary for their depth and are one of the very best at beach) finally,the price ,generally they go for around $350-$400 but just on this websites classifieds one was sold for $275 (i missed it,it was a real deal!)i've used a number of detectors over the years and the soverign ran rings around the rest. i've upgraded to explorer xs and had to sell my sov to swing the deal but as soon as i can swing it (ha ha) i will get another for backup and as a loaner for friends who want to try detecting.finally,i you decide you don't like the hobby sovs have good resale value. understandably this is just my opinion but do a little research and decide. to review som detectors go to www.metaldetectorreviews.net good luc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions