Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fleeker said:
Not wanting to ruffle any feathers, (no more than they have already been ruffled) but I have owned two Bounty Hunters. A Quickdraw IV and a Time Ranger. I now have an Ace 250 and it is an upgrade to both those Bounty Hunter models. Just my opinion having used them. Can't say about the 3300. Never used one.

Absolutely no way the 250 outperforms the TR.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cryptodave said:
Fleeker said:
Not wanting to ruffle any feathers, (no more than they have already been ruffled) but I have owned two Bounty Hunters. A Quickdraw IV and a Time Ranger. I now have an Ace 250 and it is an upgrade to both those Bounty Hunter models. Just my opinion having used them. Can't say about the 3300. Never used one.

Absolutely no way the 250 outperforms the TR.

Well my Ace 250 out performs my BH Land Star by a good margin, also today at the same place I used my freinds 3300, and once again the 250 was the better unit....Let me stress all the machines I mentioned are entry level machines....I did pop a 1918 Wheat today with the Ace, it was on edge, and I just about did'nt dig it, cuz it had a trash sound, the 3300 went right over it with NO sound....I paid around 80 something for the Land Star, my freind works at Rat Shack so he has quite a few of the BH/RS models to play with....Soon my Ace will be a back up unit, it is nice, but the Balls are not quite large enough........Just my 2 cents....

rh.campbell

Oct 23, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
none yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So your explanation to why the 3300 is an underperformer against the 250 is only because battery staying power and that you need to go through the lengthy and painstaking process of slipping a piece of cardboard between the batteries and the holders.
I could go into voltage and power arguments, but I'll just say this. I've owned both, and I still have the 3300... Even with all its battery shortcomings. Thats not taking away from the 250 because some people have great luck with it in "clean" soil, but good luck in "problem" soil.
The 3300 is a great machine, I use it quite a bit since picking it up at the Shack for only $100.

I'm completely new to this hobby, and purchased a BH 3300 almost new for $60. It seems to be a machine with loads of options, but frankly, with so little practical experience (but having read a lot), I have no idea if it's any good or not. I ordered the 4 inch coil plus the Garrett Propointer and am getting together all the little things to make this an easier game. I hope this unit will do at least for a start since the optional gear cost me far more than the device itself. I don't want to invest in too much hardware that I can't use with some other detector which I might decide to get in the future (other than the 4 inch coil of course).

Anyway, just joined the group and I'm going to sit back and "lurk" until I know what I'm talking about

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
I have a 3300 ,2200, and a whites v3 . The 3300 is a solid machine ,so is the 250 but for me that bell tone on the 250 is irratating. The 250 is not an upgrade from the 3300 imo. Also i have never experienced the loose battaries isssues others describe . Cheers

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 3300 ,2200, and a whites v3 . The 3300 is a solid machine ,so is the 250 but for me that bell tone on the 250 is irratating. The 250 is not an upgrade from the 3300 imo. Also i have never experienced the loose battaries isssues others describe . Cheers

id go with the 3300 any day over any ace series. The belltone drove me freakin insane. And the pro pointer is a must to me. are you getting the pro pointer II?

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
id go with the 3300 any day over any ace series. The belltone drove me freakin insane. And the pro pointer is a must to me. are you getting the pro pointer II?

Never. im done with garrett pp's . Gonna be whites in the spring

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully the problems of the original were rectified with the Pro Pointer II.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
I'm not willing to take that Chance

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not willing to take that Chance

You will love the TRX Postal. I bought mine the day they came out, all my other pin pointers went to the bottom of the bag as spares and I've never needed them again.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 3300 can be ground balanced manually if you are hunting in all metal mode. I't very similar to the F4 I used last season. It's not a bad detector. Selling the 3300 to get an Ace 250, to me would be taking a step down the ladder. If funds are tight, I recommend you getting the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro for a little under $230, or if you can afford it, get the Teknetics Classic T2 for $499. The 2 choices I mentioned are the best bang for the buck in their price ranges.

gpc1965

Jun 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I can assure you, that is the other way around: you have to really push, in the right way, not to break the plastic holders, to fit the batteries. With the 2 thumbs, with the detector in the right position, one must push. A child would not be able to do it.
And this is even said in the manual - "Some brands of batteries will require moderate force to clear the
retaining tabs." - some sort of over fit in the design, I guess because of the classical complain about the fitting of batteries.
And by "moderate force" they are with an oversize American in mind :-)

That some would break the exterior plastic holders when putting the batteries... that I would believe. But it's impossible to find a tighter fit.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update...Ace 250 still going strong...BH long gone, gave it to my cousin...The 250 hands down was. and is the better machine...I use it as much (with sniper only) as I do my Pro...Where I live in Texas GB has never been much of an issue unless I go to the beach which is seldom...Love that lil 250....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread