Discovery 3300 vs Garrett ace 250

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Preset ground balance vs. manual ground balance. Don't know where you live, but where I'm at the mineralization screws with detectors and having manual ground balance is worth its weight in gold. Besides that, I feel like the machines are fairly well matched.

What is it about the batteries on the 3300 you don't like?

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
WV Hillbilly said:
If I'm not badly mistaken you can get rechargeables in 9 V or AA

You can get rechargeable 9 volts.

If thats your only beef w/ the 3300, I would recommend you hang with it. As I said, I feel those two machines are pretty evenly matched.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
TonyinCT said:
The holders on the 3300 are not great for sure. Have to shim some batteries in the holders. Definitely go for the Ace250. Better quality made detector and gets pretty good performance for the money.
TonyinCT
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

Have you ever used a 3300? Not just knowledge of having to put a small piece of cardboard in the battery compartment, actually used it?
I've used both machines, and I'll take the 3300 any day over the 250.

www.tryingtosellmywares.com

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Lets see. Since I've been a coinshooter for 32 years and a dealer for 30 I think I know detectors pretty good. Yes , I have bought and used a few 3300's . From the day they were issued to last year. The manual even tells you to"If the batteries fit loosely"... "insert a piece of paper or thin cardboard between the back of the battery and the supporting post". The batteries only last about 10 hrs at best as opposed to around 20 or so for the Ace250. So to answer your question , yes I have used them and I don't think they are all that great.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
So your explanation to why the 3300 is an underperformer against the 250 is only because battery staying power and that you need to go through the lengthy and painstaking process of slipping a piece of cardboard between the batteries and the holders.
I could go into voltage and power arguments, but I'll just say this. I've owned both, and I still have the 3300... Even with all its battery shortcomings. Thats not taking away from the 250 because some people have great luck with it in "clean" soil, but good luck in "problem" soil.
The 3300 is a great machine, I use it quite a bit since picking it up at the Shack for only $100.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The poster said he didn't like the battery set up. You asked why. He responded. You responded back before I even saw this thread. I added my two cents worth on that subject. You then proceeded to ask me if I used the detector. I said I did and added some information about the battery question. You now are saying that the battery situation is my only observation as to the 3300's shortcomings . Well it isn't the only reason I don't like it. It falses a lot , it is a lesser quality made unit, it's retail of 399.95 doesn't warrant the cost ( at 100.00 it is worth the money), the manual ground balance on it is a mystery to me since no matter where I set the ones I used it didn't much affect the performance of the detector like I know manual ground balance controls to operate, the detector does not keep it's setting when going from one mode to the other , and so forth. I am not trying to bash Bounty Hunter but I have seen online that many love their 3300 and who am I to take away from their fun but , I see a lot of posts to the opposite on how 3300's have come right out of the box and didn't work. Never had a problem with any of the 300 or so Ace's I've sold. As far as performance in certain areas or ground conditions ; some detectors perform better in some ground and some perform better in other ground conditions no matter what the model or brand and this goes for the 3300 as well as th ace250. All in all it is just my opinion and experience and the experiences of my customers that govern my comments and observations. If you like the 3300 over the Ace250 , I say more power to you brother :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TonyinCT said:
Lets see. Since I've been a coinshooter for 32 years and a dealer for 30 I think I know detectors pretty good. Yes , I have bought and used a few 3300's . From the day they were issued to last year. The manual even tells you to"If the batteries fit loosely"... "insert a piece of paper or thin cardboard between the back of the battery and the supporting post". The batteries only last about 10 hrs at best as opposed to around 20 or so for the Ace250. So to answer your question , yes I have used them and I don't think they are all that great.
Why would you have bought and used a "few" 3300's? Do you sell used detectors? ??? As for battery life,I can say that the duracell's in mine have been going strong for the last 16 hours of hunting and there is still 3 bars left,and this is in very trashy areas with lots of signals.I do use headphones,did you? I didn't like the 3300 at first.The more I use it the better I like it.It's not the best for saltwater beaches in the wet sand,I have to decrease the sensitivity a little too much for my liking,other than that I have no complaints.As far as falsing goes,this happens at the end of a swing sometimes but it doesn't bother me,I can tell what is and what isn't,that comes with practice. I agree,I wouldn't pay $400 bucks for it,just based on the structural design alone,it's a little "cheap" in the design department.I have not used the Ace 250 so I cannot offer anything on it,pro or con.I can say that I wouldn't sell my 3300 to buy the 250 though.Monty owns both models,i'll pm him and he'll give you his opinion i'm sure.

OP
OP
T

tabsrus

Feb 4, 2007
thanks for all the feedback didnt mean to get ya'll roused up I was just wondering . I bought a 100.00 3300 becasue thats all I can afford but I will learn it and buy a better one later I hope... I just dont understand why that it will read low consistentley and when i dig i find nothing.. or it will read high consistenley and I will not find anything and then when i swing over the hole it still says their is somethign there? I'm confused

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
I have bought and tested/used a few from the time it was introduced and then I tested them at different times to see if improvements were made and /or I just didn't get a good unit. I do sell used detectors.I always use headphones. You ae a lucky one with 16 hours 8) If this is what you could afford then that's fine. I meant no disrespect but I was asked a question and answered it.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
High tones, 180~199 (reads as a dollar on the top) are usually, in my experience overload iron. Just my experience.
You need to play with the discrimination and sensitivity tabs, find what works for where your digging.
Trust me when I say, you only spent $100 bucks on the 3300 and its worth that. I would never trade it in for a model that is pretty much on even. My suggestion, use it for a while, get into the hobby, then upgrade to something more expensive like a Minelab Soveriegn. Keep the 3300 for a backup or a relic machine (iron).

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
tabsrus said:
overload iron what is meant by that.. False signal?? or what.

i think he means a large or shallow iron target that is overloading your machine and making it act strangely. it happens to all of us at one time or another. ( at least it does to me) i tend to agree with tony that the fit and finish of the Garrett is going to be a bit nicer than the 3300. I'm not sure if i already owned a 3300, if i would get rid of it to get an ace though. i would think that they would both be in the same ballpark performance wise. maybe it would be better to save that clad for a more dramatic upgrade?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TonyinCT said:
I have bought and tested/used a few from the time it was introduced and then I tested them at different times to see if improvements were made and /or I just didn't get a good unit. I do sell used detectors.I always use headphones. You ae a lucky one with 16 hours 8) If this is what you could afford then that's fine. I meant no disrespect but I was asked a question and answered it.
I understand, I was just asking a question also.I guess I got one of the "good" machines they made. :) I just don't see the logic in going from one "low" end machine to another.If your gonna "upgrade" then make it worthwhile.From everything i've read comparing the 2 machines, there just isn't enough difference to justify "upgrading" to an Ace 250,especially if your in an area with soil that has a high mineralization content,the manual ground balance feature is priceless in that regard.I've read too many posts about the Ace 250 giving false and errating signals because of this.Now, depending on what part of the country you live in,this may not be a problem for you.But for many it has been.Just my 2 cents.

tabsrus said:
overload iron what is meant by that.. False signal?? or what.
I believe he means the mineralization in the soil.Soil that has a high mineral and/or iron content will often give off "false" signals.This is where the manual ground balance comes into play.With the 3300 you can "tune" it out.With the 250 and it's factory preset,you can't.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
I still think the Ace250 is a better unit and is still an upgrade in my opinion. All detectors "false" at some time or another . The 250 does it less often for a lower end / starter unit. Would I always reccomend a slight upgrade like this? Probably not.In this case I think it would be beneficial. Whatever you use , you have to know how it works and you have to use it often enough to get to know it better. Using many detectors over time lessens the blow of learning basic operation. It still is in the hands of the user how well they do and how much they find and whether or not they get consitent performance. No matter what you own and use , it is important to have fun first , learn about the detector you own and keep an open mind. 8)

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Yadda Yadda Yadda. All detectors "false" at some time or another . Yadda Yadda Yadda. Would I always reccomend a slight upgrade like this? Probably not. Yadda Yadda Yadda. Whatever you use , you have to know how it works and you have to use it often enough to get to know it better. Yadda Yadda Yadda. It still is in the hands of the user how well they do and how much they find and whether or not they get consitent performance. No matter what you own and use , it is important to have fun first , learn about the detector you own and keep an open mind.

Those are words of wisdom. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread