D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have one but hunted with a guy that has the CTX3030. Not sure how it would compare to a V3i but I did ok with my ATP next to him. He got deeper targets than me. Everything I have read about the comparisons between the two is almost a draw. I am guessing if I were to buy either the V3i would be my detector of choice.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to have been curious as to a real side by side comparison between the 2 machines by non biased users got the atp,v3i & a deus xp to compare but no ctx

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
I have both. I have owned the V3i for a little over a year and the CTX for around six months. They are both excellent detectors, neither one is clearly better than the other. In my mild soil in central Mississippi they are equal on depth in most situations. The V3i has a rather steep learning curve, but it will make you a better detectorist. The CTX is far simpler to start with as the there simply are not as many changes you can make. I truly enjoy using them both. If I had to pick only one it would be a toss up. On a budget, hands down the V3i, wanting to really explore the details that go into metal detectors and the signal processing, the V3i . If I wanted a great detector that with minimal study I could turn on and hold my own against any other, the CTX would get the nod. I do a lot of coin shooting, in the arena the CTX might be slightly easier to interpret. It also appears to do a better job of clearly separating iron targets (like nails) from good targets. More often than not its Target Trace feature will show them as two distinct targets as where the V3i will show you data from both targets without distinction ( you will see the iron VDIs along with the target VDIs at the same time) now you can run the V3i in consistency mode and it will usually "build up" the good targets VDIs and let the iron VDIs diminish. Obviously if you are relic hunting And your target might be iron you would not use this setting.

They are both well built, but I would say the CTX has a cleaner, smoother look. I really like the way the CTX coil cable runs up and through the shaft.

The tones on the V3i are superior to the CTX as you have complete control of the tones. You can assign a unique tone to every VDI as where the CTX either allows you to either assign an ascending tonal range to the targets conductivity or Fe content or you can assign 4 tones to "bins" or groups of VDIs ( my preference on the CTX)

The screen on the V3i is better, brighter and true full color. The CTX is significantly more bland.
The external speaker on the V3i is better. I frequently do not use headphones with the V3i as I can run it quiet enough as to not irritate by standers. The CTX tones are more annoying and due to its waterproof nature, headphones are almost a must. The supplied wireless headphones work well and are quite comfortable .

The CTX is waterproof to 10' which for me is not a big deal as I rarely beach hunt. It also has a built in GPS that is cool, but after a few weeks of playing with it and mapping my finds, I rarely use it now.

The CTX also allows programs to be created and saved on a Windows PC and then transferred to the machine easily. Whites really needs to catch up in this area.

The CTX is heavier but very well balanced. If I am going to be hunting all day I will sometimes use Minelabs well designed ProSwing 45 to keep my back happy.

Anyone should be quite happy with either detector!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow dude now that is one good reveiw that answerd alit of questions ive been wondering on the ctx in comparison to my v3i. Just for the heck of it what coils are you using just stock or the one would say optional whites coils, ive opted for using 99% of the time the sef coils, which in my opinión are really well made & work wonders for the v.
I must say I do like,or would like the option of my programs,stored on the computer & I yes i agree whites should keep up with that, I think there way of keeping up with that would be when u make changes to the v3i it saves automaticly & you can Store like what 99 programs in a single machine, quite enough for me.
Anyways great post & I see its ur second post to so welcome to the Forum

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
Christo, thanks for the welcome. On the V3i I have the stock 10"D, the 12" Super, 4x6 and 6x10 DD coils. The only one I do not use often is the 12" as I find it heavy and I do not see much real depth improvement in my soil. In real trashy sites I really like the 4x6 shooter. In a typical park that is not covered in trash I use the 6x10. On the CTX I only have the stock 11". Based onmy dislike of the Whites super 12" I don't see myself buying the larger Minelab coil anytime soon.

Robert

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im hoping to get ahold of some optional coils for the v3i cuz ones im using are all sef 6x8,10x12,which stays on 90% of the time & in trashy i go for 6x8 then I got the monster 12x15 If im in a huge feild. Anyways great reveiw I dont want to side track the original pósters thread I just thought that was a real good reveiw the least biased to a certain company with both pros & cons of each thanks again & hh all

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only selling due to me recently getting laid off from work & gotta pay the bills some how, I do still have my Atpro & my deus xp I gotta try & keep at least one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions