Semi newbie searching for 2 new detectors

Ahr2md

Nov 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, new to the forum and looking to purchase 2new detectors, 1 for myself and 1for my adult daughter. I presently have a 12 year old gti 2500 and an equally old Tesoro u max. Only occasionally detected until this past year when my daughter wanted some father-daughter bonding and she now has the MD bug and I have it too. The gti 2500 is heavy and the Tesoro seems too basic but it sure is light and detects as well as the more expensive gti. budget would be $1000 or so on 1detector and $500-$700 for the other. do primarily beach detecting and sandy soil here in southern nj mostly coin shooting and some relic hunting in central pa. daughter thinking she would like fresh water and salt water detecting with a machine that does land and sand too. 3 questions 1. Any detectors fit these above profiles? 2. Do I have to adjust my budget upward? 3. Would like lighter machine than old gti 2500 that also images target like gti. Would Vlf detector be the way to go? I know these questions are really generalized so be easy on me. The last few months detecting with my child has been a revelation and I would love to increase our commitment to this great hobby. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahr2md

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only detector that offers imaging as far as I'm aware is the Garrett GTI series. So if that is a requirement, you'd be stuck with a new GTI 2500 as your only option.
If not, then you have lots of options.
The Garrett AT fans will recommend the AT Pro ($600) and/or AT Gold ($700). I love mine. Might not be the best performing unit in any one category but does everything well. I can't speak for it's salt water prowess but for some it works well and for some not so much. The AT Gold is NOT meant for salt use however. Kind of a Jack-of-all-trades. It also has it's following of haters as well (as will be evident shortly).
Fisher, Teknetics Whites, Tesoro & Minelab also make some great machines. You really won't can't go wrong with any major brand.

If you're doing primarily beach hunting with strong abilities as a coin & relic hunter, the Fisher CZ-3D ($800) might be worth a look. It can be a bit weighty but the control box is hip/chest mountable making it super light weight. You'll be hard pressed to find a deeper VLF. Dual frequency make for a great beach hunter (so I understand), loves old coins. Best machine I've ever used on nickels. This is one machine I'll never give up.

Whites MXT Pro ($900) is another really strong detector. Loved mine. Wish I still had it. Never had it on a salt beach but it does have a salt setting. VERY sensitive on gold. Relic & prospecting modes as well.

Lots of choices out there. You'll get lots of different recommendations. Not one of those recommendations is going to be wrong. Or necessarily right!
I've owed some pretty high end detectors that I just didn't like. Others loved em and do very very well with em.

I think the best thing to do is find a local shop where you can go see, feel, hear & play with some. If that's not possible talk to one of the supporting vendors and pick their brains.

Good luck!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're doing primarily beach hunting with strong abilities as a coin & relic hunter, the Fisher CZ-3D ($800) might be worth a look. It can be a bit weighty but the control box is hip/chest mountable making it super light weight. You'll be hard pressed to find a deeper VLF. Dual frequency make for a great beach hunter (so I understand), loves old coins. Best machine I've ever used on nickels. This is one machine I'll never give up.

Are the new CZ3D's any good or do you have to get one of the earlier ones?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are the new CZ3D's any good or do you have to get one of the earlier ones?

Have one of the newer ones and it's awesome. I've read about the older ones being better (I don't know how) but these new ones are super strong too.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best saltwater machine may not be a good choice for land hunting. The Minelab Excalibur is above your price, but is hard to beat in the saltwater. An AT Pro is more versatile, but can sometimes chatter on some black sand beaches. Most detectors are lighter these days than the GTI2500, but don't have the imaging feature. A lot of detectors do have target ID numbers to help you pick the targets to dig.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
A

Ahr2md

Nov 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your help, ahr2md

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at Minelab Xterra's. Great target ID, multi tones and, very important, light.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread