CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Running say 33-35 on the iron disc with iron audio off....you should have all nails disced out but you will hear them very broken up but definitely not silent like the Tesoro....and NO my machine is not broken. i have used other at pros the sameway.

It will be completely silent as you lose depth on the Tesoro. The more you turn that discrimination dial up on the Tesoro, your depth goes down with it. Not cool. Thats how the old technology of the 70's worked before notch discrimination came out. the AT pro notches out, doesnt take everything with it like the Tesoro.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With you guys runnin the DISC up so high now your MASKIN good targets.. HH..

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though the MX5 is relatively new, the more I see of it, the more I like it....Has many great features! There are a couple of recent Youtube Videos on it, but it would nice to see more actual field reports on it. The reports so far, seem to be favorable. Hope it is a hit!

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Have you considered the Whites M6? Its an incredibly solid performer in that price range. Its very easy to operate, and while it may not have all the bells and whistles that the others you mentioned do, I would almost guarantee it will outlast and outperform them in the field. I own one and swear by it. Read up on it - you will not find a bad review.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you considered the Whites M6? Its an incredibly solid performer in that price range. Its very easy to operate, and while it may not have all the bells and whistles that the others you mentioned do, I would almost guarantee it will outlast and outperform them in the field. I own one and swear by it. Read up on it - you will not find a bad review.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Treasurecoasteric is right. The M6 is another good detector with a good reputation.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With you guys runnin the DISC up so high now your MASKIN good targets.. HH..

I know this.....I only use ANY disc in an extremely trashy, nail infested spot, where Pro zero with no disc is not possible. But most all my good finds in these type areas were in Po zero with 0 disc using 5x8 coil and a slow swing and digging anything that was a mid or high tone. I was just saying that it takes as much as 30 or so on the pro to knock out most all nails.

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old question: I don't quite understand the benefits of the "iron" feature on the AT Pro and its 12 notchable zones. What is really the benefit of the iron feature compared to the 20 zones of the MX5 that can be notched out? The MX5 notching silences those zones, but the meter still reads when they are detected. Why would a different feature than that be needed? I don't have either unit yet, but I read both manuals several times. The MX5 seems more straight forward.

New answer: After speaking with Bart at Big Boys Hobbies, I understand better. "Iron discrim" is a progressively variable notch/discrimination feature. It is not just the ability to turn down the sensitivity uniformly over the entire range of 0 to 40 like I initially thought. Nor does it allow for selecting specific segments within the 1 to 40 range, such as only 10 to 15. It is instead totally variable - with the ability to set it from 0 to anything up to 40, e.g. 0 to 5, 0 to 19, etc. I must have had a case of the DS's because it wasn't clear to me from the manual. I do see its benefits better now.

And I like the many more instructional videos available for the AT Pro.

Jerry

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread