f5 dd, mx5, or at pro???

musketman121

Mar 4, 2013
Need help on deciding what detector is best for me with about a 500 600 $ range...I really want to know more about whites mx5 if its worth the money or not compared to getting mxt pro... I'm open to suggestions to any brand, looked at some tesoros and minelabs but for my price range I narrowed it down to these three. Currently using an f2 relic and coin hunting. I want ground balancing and dd coil or something for more depth! Thanks for any advice!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id ad in what ur looking to do like
-any water detecting If so fresh or salt
-whats ur main search relics,coin,jewlery,anything,
-u may also want to consider a used machine u can find ones out there with warrenty mayb someone bought one didnt like the hobby no for sale, so you may find an even higher end machine cheap
-

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I forgot my opinión I havent used the fishers,or the mx5 though have had a prism 4 & own a v3i, whites machines are phenominal really good quality,warrenty,customer service. I also use a Atpro those are very versitle machines If ur out in the Woods starts to rain or even If u cine across a stream,Lake whatever u can just go right in kinda 2,machines in 1, they do have ground balance,tone roll which helps alot & iron audio another great feature tough decisión u got best of luck to ya hh

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at a Fisher F70, as deep or deeper than a 3030, V3i, Explorer, F75, Sovereign, Deep Tech, Nautilus, Nexus, and has plenty of toys, for $649 10" concentric, $679 with 11 DD, at Kelly. It's the best bang for the buck among all the high end detectors.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MX5 seems to be the big unknown. There are hardly any reports on them. Monte praises it, but gotta remember, he's a White's dealer too. I would love to see some unbiased reports (not that I'm doubting Monte's take on the MX5). It would be great to read some reports from an average user.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the mx5 and have used mxtpro's and mxt's and m6's for years. Well to me the mx5 is better. It has a lightening fast response.its very solid but lighter,uses all the eclipse whites coils, volume control, back light, easy on batteries etc..best part is it finds goodies at great depth..very good at finding coins and jewlery in trash,and rusted nails mixed in. Im extremely happy with mine. I put my v3i up and gonna use the mx5 for awhile to see how it does over next few months...i will say its a keeper for sure. Ive used most fisher detectors,teknetics,whites,tesoro,garrett over the years..the mx5 will hang with all of them and out do about all of them..

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you say are the MX5's weak points?

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well no weekpoints yet. Or maybe headphone jack on right side of display. Its fine with me but have heard people complain about other brands jack locations. Today i found some really old coins in with rusty nails with a very good signal. I didnt expect it to be so good to be honest. Here is one that really shook me...my coin garden...my v3i picks up coins but with iffy signals. Ive tried tweaking to make it hit them harder but this is best i could get...mx5 hits all coins hard. I was mad at first but started laughing.. My yard has been hunted hard since 1979. Guess what i found my first sheild nickel today with a great signal. Then found a ring some wheaties and a buffalo nickel at the park ive hunted to death. Signals were all easy to decide on digging. Its a good machine..ive used a bunch and this machine is gonna make alot of people happy..

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great price too. I might have to try one myself.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey musketman.....Just want to add my opinion, For the money, the AT Pro is hard to beat....I love mine. But another very good value in that price range is the Tesoro Outlaw with three coils. We have been testing this machine against the ATP for a few weeks now. The tesoro is lighter, has 3 coils,a lifetime warranty, and does much better in heavy trash (iron) than the atp. The outlaw will find a dime UNDER a pile of nails! But i still love the atpro and it has waterproofing and a display....You will like the AT Pro but definately check out the Outlaw. And depth iis very similar on these two.....

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey musketman.....Just want to add my opinion, For the money, the AT Pro is hard to beat....I love mine. But another very good value in that price range is the Tesoro Outlaw with three coils. We have been testing this machine against the ATP for a few weeks now. The tesoro is lighter, has 3 coils,a lifetime warranty, and does much better in heavy trash (iron) than the atp. The outlaw will find a dime UNDER a pile of nails! But i still love the atpro and it has waterproofing and a display....You will like the AT Pro but definately check out the Outlaw. And depth iis very similar on these two.....

Ah yes, the "under the pile of nails" claim. The guy I sold my Outlaw to claimed the same thing. When demonstration time came, it was an epic fail. Oh I'm sure it can be done, but only by Bigfoot and only while he's watching Ghost Hunters!
I'd also contest the Outlaw being better than the ATP in heavy trash (iron) as well. The ATP w/5x8 will sift through that junk as well as anything out there including the Deus! (in real world conditions).
Where the Outlaw (along with all other Tesoros I've owned) does excel is it's ability to let the user know pull tabs, canslaw, foils etc etc are garbage. It breaks up the audio better than any other detector I've used in that regard. If one can live with a single tone & thumbing the disc all the time, it's a fantastic performing machine!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with Lucky Larry on the F70. I don't own one yet but am seriously considering getting one for next season. I have read a lot on them and watched all the You Tube Vids. She can be a squirrely machine until you get the hang of it from what I have seen. As far as depth from what I have seen on vids and reading, it is real deep. Seems like a lot of features and performance for the buck.

The MX5 is interesting, but I just read somewhere of a common problem with them. It was either in the White's section here or at Findmall. Basstrackerman, what depth were the coins in your test garden?

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all are buried at 8 inches deep. they have been buried for 6 months ..in just about 3 hours of hunting with mx5 I have a lot of Wheaties, 4 nickels a shield nickel,silver war nickel,buffalo nickel and Jefferson nickel,a ring and several buttons along with some aluminum..its very good at finding good metal mixed with rusty metal. I love it

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting a early 1900s home site for several weeks and have dug all my at pro can find......there is a huge amount of nails here, especially near the old foundation. And i just watched my stepdad take his Outlaw and pull a hand full of wheats out of this place where my atp was done! Oh, and bigfoot wasnt there! And every penny shared its hole with 2 to 4 nails.....I SEEN THIS WITH MY OWN EYES...i haVE no reason to lie...i love my atpro and is my go to machine. but in heavy nails/iron the outlaw rocks! The high frequency of the at just likes rusty iron too much to compete with a 10khz machine running Tesoro's awesome disc.....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, the iron disc on the ATP is useless....even when disc is on; you still hear every nail and peice of iron....its just broken sounding. The Tesoro eliminates it alltogether......no sound unitl u hit what you are lookin for.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, the iron disc on the ATP is useless....even when disc is on; you still hear every nail and peice of iron....its just broken sounding.

Ummm. No! You're probably running with a iron disc at a certain setting & still running with iron audio on.
With Iron Audio OFF and the Iron Disc set at whatever, you WILL NOT hear targets below that number!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running say 33-35 on the iron disc with iron audio off....you should have all nails disced out but you will hear them very broken up but definately not silent like the Tesoro....and NO my machine is not broken. i have used other at pros the sameway.

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ummm. No! You're probably running with a iron disc at a certain setting & still running with iron audio on.
With Iron Audio OFF and the Iron Disc set at whatever, you WILL NOT hear targets below that number!

That is correct. The AT Pro is a great machine. Iron audio is just that. Iron audio, it lets you hear the iron in the ground. Turn it off and set the iron discrimination to 40. Wont hear the iron.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread