Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
photo-8_zpsde53cc4e.jpg

It has been too cold and muddy here in Mississippi the past few days to get out and hunt so I resorted to the next best thing and played in my back yard test garden. Today's testing centered around buried bottle caps and trash as well as coins buried adjacent to trash.

Let me start by saying all three detectors are mine and I use all of them regularly. I consider them all peers of one another and on balance I do not consider one to be significantly better than the other, just different. :thumbsup: Today's testing was not about depth but rather distinguishing trash, mostly bottle caps from coins. I was using the V3i with the Whites 12"Concentric (just what I happened to have on it at the time), the CTX3030 had the stock 10" and XP Deus had the stock 9". My soil is very mild and today it is very very wet.

To be frank I expected the CTX to do the best with a toss up between the XP Deus and the V3i. Well, as usual I was wrong. The V3i was remarkably accurate at correctly identifying bottle caps as bottle caps A+. The CTX3030 and the XP Deus are two very different machines but I would give them both a B- at picking the bottle caps from the coins. In the real world I would not be digging bottle caps with either the CTX3030 or the XP Deus but I might be passing over a few good targets in the process, not so with the V3i. I attribute V3i's success to it's three frequencies and it's processors knowledge of how trash responds at each frequency.

I would also have to mention that at the relatively shallow depths I was working at I had fairly clear VDI numbers. I would imagine as the depths increase they would most likely be nearly equal as the VDIs would start to scatter.

I was using modified coin programs on all three machines and my testing lacked any statistical analysis or scientific methodology, rather just me swinging over coins and bottle tops I have buried from 3-8" in my backyard over the years. If I had been using stock programs, the V3i and CTX would have kept their scores, the XP Deus on the other hand requires me to use my 4 kHz program to identify the trash from coins.

Some of the spots I hunt (more modern parks) are overrun with bottle caps and I will be using the V3i more in the future. The majority of the spots I hunt are older and cleaner with less of a bottle cap issue, in those spots it will be a tougher call which machine to use.

I post this just as something to throw out there on cold, muddy day in MS, not as some grand statement about one being overall better than the other.

HH
Robert

Last edited:
OP
OP
msviking

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
Brief follow up: I went back out with my Teknetics D4000 and it scored as well as the Whites V3i, correctly identifying almost every bottle cap.

Robert

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
That's amazing given the V3i not only has the biggest coil, but it's also a concentric. DD's are supposed to be better at target seperation! You ought to try a thin DD on the V3i, like the Bigfoot coil.

OP
OP
msviking

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
Detector Wars: I agree with you on target separation. Most of what I was doing was comparing a variety of bottle caps, pull tabs, small trash to coins, not as much separation but more identification. I have both the 4x6 and 6x10 Whites shooters and when it comes to sifting through the trash they are awesome!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must agree with what uve done in testing i still have my deus but just recently unfortunatly had to sell my v3i it really is an amazing machine If you know what ur doin when it comes to its options Very accurate, I used mine with the sef line of coils they are monsters of there own & made the v a pleasure to use,relic hunting & in the park. The deus I have now been using quite a bit now & have grown to distinguish trash from good with the programs I use & places i go & only seems to be gettin better I get great depth & separation. I do hope to try a ctx out in the future. Very nice job on ur testing

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
i think the biggest factor in this test was that the v3i was using a concentric coil instead of a dd concentrics discriminate better than dd designs. id be interested to see how the ctx does on bottlecaps with a concentric coil cheers

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
i think the biggest factor in this test was that the v3i was using a concentric coil instead of a dd concentrics discriminate better than dd designs. id be interested to see how the ctx does on bottlecaps with a concentric coil cheers

They will probably never make concentric coils for those detectors.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
They will probably never make concentric coils for those detectors.
i wonder why? well then on the flip side id wanna slap the 10" DD on the v3i and see if its still does well. measure apples to apples if ya know what i mean. dd have trouble with bottlecaps.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see both with sef coils myself

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can very accurately identify bottle caps on my CTX by looking for splatter on the target trace. I have no doubt the V3i is better at this though, but I'm rarely wrong on them with the CTX.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread