Nexus Standard MKII vs Garret ATX? Which is deeper?

Lohoffsson

Sep 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haiii Guys!

I'm looking for a deep detector which can separate iron from other "good" targets. First off, do you know if the nexus is a PI-machine or a VLF? I thought it was a PI because it seems to get so deep results? Also, will it be able to see a god target next to an iron target?

Which of these it the deeper machine? Is there a deeper machine with iron-disc that I don't know of? (in the same price-range) I know that the Minelab GPX5000 is deeper, but it's too expensive.

Right now I feel the Nexus has an advantage because it's a lighter machine than the ATX. But I don't know which one will get the best depth and results?

Thanks! :hello:

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I'm struggling with deciding between the two myself. The Nexus is an Induction Balance machine, not Pulse Induction. It seems that the Standard Mark II pulls incredibly deep and it looks impressive too. I haven't seen an ATX video indicating anywhere near the Nexus's depth. BUT... the ATX is American(think of future repair costs), it's waterproof, tough as nails, and folds up small enough to fit in my backpack. If I could see the ATX functioning in Non-Motion Mode during a depth test with the detected object something other than a tiny piece of gold or coin, I might be sold on it. For goodness sake, somebody please just lay it on a table in Non-Motion mode and, starting 10 feet away from the coil, step closer until the machine gets the signal. Let's try it with something like a 6-pounder, grape, or canister ball. Keep your pocket change in a jar. I'm sick of watching videos of playground finds. It IS advertised as a relic machine too, Right?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been drawn to the ATX since i first saw it also, but like you said you cant hardly find a good relic video with this machine being used on deep stuff. Plenty of nugget videos....but not many nuggets here in VA. Although it may be a little while before i am ready to buy; i would definetly have one if i could see it proven on deep relics!

LE.JAG

Oct 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
FISHER AQUAMANTA / Pulsepower Goldscan 5c - goldquest ssv3 / Vista Gold / Nexus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

nexus are vlf,
you change the frequency by changing the coil

I have a nexus, a former model
it is very deep and I in finding
several times of gold

coronado  1.JPG

I have not yet had the opportunity to try
a for new
but performance report are stunning

watch this video

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
It depends on the soil Lohoffsson. If you have high Fe soil it will get crushed by the iron in it. If you have low iron soil it will go very deep. But it is a high gain machine, and they commonly do not do well in a high electrical interference area, because other signals are inducted into the current moving through it. The GPX5000 is not "deeper", it just ignores the high Fe in the soil better.. In pure sand (silica) soil, the Nexus will beat the GPX like it is a hated red-headed step child. On salt beaches or on high mineral soils, the opposite will happen.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larry knows what he is talking about.:icon_thumleft:

LE.JAG

Oct 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the soil Lohoffsson. If you have high Fe soil it will get crushed by the iron in it. If you have low iron soil it will go very deep. But it is a high gain machine, and they commonly do not do well in a high electrical interference area, because other signals are inducted into the current moving through it. The GPX5000 is not "deeper", it just ignores the high Fe in the soil better.. In pure sand (silica) soil, the Nexus will beat the GPX like it is a hated red-headed step child. On salt beaches or on high mineral soils, the opposite will happen.

Hi Larry,

Have you tried the new model
the MKII is advertised as much more stable and silencer
and more powerful than 15%

must also choose the coil and the right frequency
following the ground and sought targets

for example 6.5 kHz is more efficient on the gold coins that 18 khz
contrary to other vlf (any brand confounded)

this is due to the use of the resonance coil .........

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't looked into the MKII very much, but mostly because I seldom see a Nexus in my part of the world. I prefer to check newer detectors after other people become their test rats. Our soil here is uncommonly high in Fe so most people stay with the Whites, FT, and some use Minelabs or Garrett, but not often, and the Garretts often quit working completely. Minelabs show up in pawn shops frequently, and for good reasons, mostly because hype sold them, but they seldom produce what they promised. However, with the (most modern) circuitry, it isn't difficult to get a 10 Khz machine to do the work of a 5 or 15 Khz one now. I'll check the MKII out, but I don't know of a dealer within 200 miles of here who carries them , and at $2500+, few will..

Last edited:

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually Nexus Standard MkII is not a high gain detector. I was told by the Nexus designer in personal communication that MkII is a very low gain detector. The MkII sensitivity comes from the high power transmitter and the resonance tune of the search coil. By the designers word the MkII electronic gain does not exceed 2000 times at maximum settings. Compared to other detectors that would be over 100 times less gain.
I use MkII for a couple of months now and this gain figures explains to me the incredible stability of this detector. As for depth MkII with the Nexus #8 9" coil easily detects a small gold coin only 19mm at 14" under standard soil. Every other IB detector I have tried dies at 10-11" on that test no matter the coil size.

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't looked into the MKII, but mostly because I seldom see a Nexus in my part of the world. I prefer to check newer detectors after other people become their test rats. I'll check the MKII out, but I don't know of a dealer within 200 miles of here who carries them , and at $2500+, few will..
I had the same problem as you. No one to tell me jack about this Nexus. But then I have been around forums, reading stuff and asking questions. Very few answers came along.
Then I was thinking. This company is around since 2004 as they say. Recently they have announced a whole line of new products after they have been going for 9 years or so with their original first designs with little improvements.
I looked often on Ebay and Amazon for some second hand to try out, but they really come out second hand if ever and I was not the lucky one to get them.
So I summed it all up - This company is here for 10 years, no one or very few talk about Nexus and no one or very few sale Nexus second hand, well at least the old top model the SE.
I got intrigued by this secretive thing surrounding Nexus and decided to go for it.
Hell, I can never say I am sorry, not even under penalty of death. MkII is by far the best detector on my sites.

LE.JAG

Oct 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
have just got my MK II
just made some tests yet, but This amazing result is

I'm going to spend a few days at the beach, with .......... MK II   .JPG MK II    - Copie.JPG

samorano

Apr 20, 2009
MEXICO
Detector(s) used
MALA GPR,GP 3000,TEJON,Deus,rutus 71,vista smart,ctx 3030.
Congratulations LE.JAG I see you got two more Coils let us know how you do.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sound better than exspected

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sound better than exspected
Seems normal for folks to expect less than companies state for their products, since most of them are lying so much.
I also didn't believe the Nexus claims at first, but after the first hole I dug out all of my doubts vanished.
I'm curious if LE.JAG will repeat my experiences with Nexus or get even better.

LE.JAG

Oct 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,

I already had a Nexus
so I knew what to think ....

just a few outings with the MKII
but yes, the depth is there

I also test on the beach
it works very well, once sea water and salt are removed as iron

just like you , sirusramse, my first tests on gold coins gives incredible depth !

unfortunately, puts the best hunting area is under culture , have to wait a bit ...

for coil after asking many question Nexus
it appears that the Dual 8 low frequency are the best

and going everywhere, it is also giving them the best on gold targets

unlike other VLF not need high frequency, specificity coil resonance !!!!!

the 18 khz is to be used only on dry land for nuggets
or dry sand , micro jewelery....

I took the Dual 9 set at 6.5 kHz and 6 " set at 5.6 khz

first interesting find in the forest with 9 "
gun musket revolutionary period ( 1800) deep = an area that had already given me a musket (full) there a few years ago ...

it has taken me almost one hour to get it out to release of the roots , lol

MKII   .JPG NEXUS  MKII  mousquet    ;.jpg NEXUS MKII  mousquet  .jpg

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
A video on how the MK-II perform at low tide on a wet salt water beach would be much appreciated............. ivanll

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got similar experiences as you LE.JAG
I was thickheaded and purchased the 6"18kHz coil at first believing it would give me an advantage on gold coins. Not really. The small dual 4" coil I have is actually getting the edge on any coin over the 6" at 18kHz. It looks like when tuned in resonance high frequency is meaningless unless of course one is after the super tiny crap, like micro gold nuggets.
I am on top of the world with my 9" and 4" coils, but since you seem to praise the 6" at 5.6kHz might give it a go.
Nexus company is very nice to their old customers giving some nice discounts, so I wouldn't even have to pay the original price to try it out.:happy3:

geotracker

Greenie
Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

so i like the nexus depth for that type of soild but what about for california and florida beaches and soil in cali?

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago some guy from Florida a Bulgarian with a name Nikolai have posted on forums that he actually used Nexus SE successfully on Florida's black sand beahces. Other than that I don't know much about heavy soil and Nexus as my area does not have those kinds of soil.
On the beach nothing beats MkII about depth, but because Nexus does not use a special salt water filter you will get everything apart from modern white gold items. With Nexus the white gold on the wet salt water beach is going to be discriminated. I don't care much about that since on the ancient yellow gold stuff MkII have demonstrated impossible results. So the trade off is good for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread