Garrett ATX vrs. Whites TDI

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett ATX vrs. White's TDI

This will be my first PI machine and will be used exclusively for relics. I have no interest in how either does on small gold, etc. I love the rugged build of the Garrett and have more knowledge of how it operates. The TDI i can purchase used for less than half the price of the ATX. So how do they compare on performance? Thanks all.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past I owned a TDI and can say in your hot red VA soil it goes deep... But I never did figure out how to decipher the difference between a nail and a bullet. It's the only detector I ever gave up on before learning it fully, because after trying a GPX only one time I started saving a pile of money to switch to the Minelab.

Can't speak about the ATX just yet... Been waiting to see one in action, but my bias would be toward the ATX (except for the cost.) A lot of guys still use the TDI with success... You will hear most of them say digging nails is part of using one for relics.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody uses the ATX for relics???

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve...i found this video a few days ago. Trying to see if anyone has used both on relics and the benefits or lack there of....I guess the ATX is just still to new.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it wasn't at the bottom
it was on the side his last shovel full
shows it watch at 1.13
10 inch
yaa right

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the ATX that bad at pinpointing or is it the operator?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no problem pinpointing with my ATX.

The ATX has a superior ground balance system that provides for better depth over a wide range of target types and sizes than the TDI. I still hang onto my TDI because I can chest or hip mount it. I also can shut the ground balance completely off and in low mineral ground it dramatically improves the performance. If I had to keep one at this point it would be the ATX but the TDI is a proven relic performer on relics. They are both good detectors with very different feature sets.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
It really pleases me to see write-ups that are not seriously brand-loyal or substantially biased or tainted with hatred, envy, or anger. When I see individuals who only buy one brand and have a closed mind to others, I know I can almost count on them defending their choices furiously and with passion, even if the information they provide has no proof, and especially when they wish to discredit videos vehemently.. Thanks Steve for being straight up about your writings and posts. :icon_thumleft:

cairo digger

May 5, 2012
Castalian springs Tenn
Detector(s) used
F75-AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Tennessee some of the farms I hunt has high minerals and some low. How much will the PI machine help with depth on the low mineral ground?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Larry,

I look at brand loyalty as a negative - I want to be open to what works. I do not care who makes it. The biggest problem I see on the internet is that two people with dramatically different ground conditions compare results and get in pissing matches because they both are correct. One machine shines in one place and the other shines somewhere else. Just the way it is. What works well in Florida does not work well in Oregon.

I enjoy your posts and in fact spent a good chunk of time at one point just reading most of them. Good stuff. Thanks!

cairo, in low mineral ground you may as well use a VLF. Remember PI units are basically dig it all units and they find deep junk as well or better than deep goodies. Good rule of thumb is use a VLF when you can and a PI when you have to.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Tennessee some of the farms I hunt has high minerals and some low. How much will the PI machine help with depth on the low mineral ground?
You will gain a lot of depth with a PI with GB! I have a friend who has been finding dozens of bullets and other relics in "hot" areas in TN. They have been pounded by mostly whites diehards and he has used Efrac and CTX with quite better results. He recently went back with a GPX and could not believe what all he has dug that VLF's can't begin to get.

cairo digger

May 5, 2012
Castalian springs Tenn
Detector(s) used
F75-AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fletch88. I'm trying to justify buying one. I'm going to get one of the two GPX or ATX. I know the GPX is a good detector but $$$$. Hopeing the ATX will do just as good as the GPX. Maybe someone will have some videos up soon of the ATX in a civil war camp.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fletch88. I'm trying to justify buying one. I'm going to get one of the two GPX or ATX. I know the GPX is a good detector but $$$$. Hopeing the ATX will do just as good as the GPX. Maybe someone will have some videos up soon of the ATX in a civil war camp.
FYI the GPX goes off sale tonight at midnight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions