rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jolly Roger, I have looked extensively at the 505. I have no doubt what so ever that it is a great detector. You just can't find anyone giving them bad reviews. I am just not convinced it is a depth demon like the F70. I want my next detector to be deep because the coins get deep in the sandy areas I hunt. The only thing I didn't like about the 505 is the price of additional coils. I love the concept of changing frequencies, but with the 505 it is costly to do that. With three different frequency coils you are past the price of a Safari. The 5" coil for the F70 is inexpensive as are NEL coils. I feel the new Tesoro could be a long wait and with the lack of in-house engineering they have I am afraid it will just be another revived Tesoro with a new switch. I hope that isn't true but I am not going wait that long. Also from what I have read, Fisher, like Tesoro has excellent customer service. Depending on what you read it sounds like Minelab's customer service and turn around time can be hit or miss.

I guess it is just a matter of finding the detector that best fits your needs. In my case right now it appears to be the F70. From what I have seen the people that master the F70 get deep and are making some great finds. I'm not saying other makes and models aren't making great finds either, but for the price the F70 has the depth. I would love to spend $1500 on a detector, but with my budget being hampered by three kids that are heavy into sports, the F70 price wise is right in my range.

Jolly Roger Blue

Jan 18, 2014
Hurst, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Freedom ACE 2, GTA 500, ACE 250,Tesoro Silver U Max, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max…
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How hard is the F70 to learn in your opinion? I really like my Tesoro but get tired of thumbing that disc.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How hard is the F70 to learn in your opinion? I really like my Tesoro but get tired of thumbing that disc.
After reading the Fisher Forums all winter, I would say not too bad. You can run it right of the box and do well. The key to depth seems to be the interaction between threshold and sensitivity. From what I have read and seen in test result charts the higher threshold settings give better depth. Like all deep detectors it is sensitive so EMI can be an issue. So it seems it is a matter of finding the right combo of settings to include Freq selection, threshold, and sens. that can give you the depth. What I really like though is the ability to be lazy and run an effective default setting with very few changes and also having the adjustments you need to tweak it for depth. It seems there are a lot of great detectors in this price range, no doubt about that, but the F70 seems to have the ability to surpass them all on depth if you want to take the time to really learn it and set it up.

These statements are just my interpretation of what I have read from lots and lots of time of the Fisher forum. They Fisher guys have a great forum and seem to be a helpful great bunch of people.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the Fisher Forums all winter, I would say not too bad. You can run it right of the box and do well. The key to depth seems to be the interaction between threshold and sensitivity. From what I have read and seen in test result charts the higher threshold settings give better depth. Like all deep detectors it is sensitive so EMI can be an issue. So it seems it is a matter of finding the right combo of settings to include Freq selection, threshold, and sens. that can give you the depth. What I really like though is the ability to be lazy and run an effective default setting with very few changes and also having the adjustments you need to tweak it for depth. It seems there are a lot of great detectors in this price range, no doubt about that, but the F70 seems to have the ability to surpass them all on depth if you want to take the time to really learn it and set it up.

These statements are just my interpretation of what I have read from lots and lots of time of the Fisher forum. They Fisher guys have a great forum and seem to be a helpful great bunch of people.

How deep are we talking with the f70? I tried the tesora outlaw it was disappointing it had no depth ....from what i read the outlaw isnt a depth machine its been called a trash hound by many....i would set it up by the dime discrim and still id pull beaver tail after beaver tail so i gave up on the machine ...i hunt with a guy who uses the tesoro vaquero and he was pulling indian heads and wheats at 5-6 inches but he had to have his discrim turned down to foil to get them to hit....do you have to run the f70 just above iron discrim to dig coins past 6 inches ?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
How deep are we talking with the f70? I tried the tesora outlaw it was disappointing it had no depth ....from what i read the outlaw isnt a depth machine its been called a trash hound by many....i would set it up by the dime discrim and still id pull beaver tail after beaver tail so i gave up on the machine ...i hunt with a guy who uses the tesoro vaquero and he was pulling indian heads and wheats at 5-6 inches but he had to have his discrim turned down to foil to get them to hit....do you have to run the f70 just above iron discrim to dig coins past 6 inches ?

How deep?
Like everything it all depends on soil and environment conditions so results vary but I have about 30 hors on my new F70 and this is what I have learned in that short time.
I live in NE Kansas and the soil is better than good so that helps.
I have lots of experience with noisy detectors and chatter does not bother me and I have learned to listen through any extra noise and pick out the good tones no matter what I use...I always go by tones first and foremost with my Tesoros, of course, but even using my Fishers with screens and that has served me well.

My F70, like my F2 I used for hundreds of hours before it, can definitely be jumpy and chatty if you turn up the power which I do, but the F series units are so sensitive and overpowered even on start up settings even by turning them down they still seem to hit some amazing depths...but so far I have not tried to do that much yet.

I am curious about depth and on the few hunts I have had I have experimented a lot with different settings and my eyes are opening wide and my jaw is doing some dropping on just about every one.

I dig a silver quarter at about 6-7" deep with the disc high enough to knock out lots of foil that was a problem at this site.
Loud and clear in the tone the F70 was a little noisy and jumpy in this area due to some heavy EMI but stablized when I ran over this coin.

In another area with some EMI, the edge of a park where there was a power line and wifi coming from some houses across the street, I dug my best coin spill ever...a 1915 wheat and 3 Indian Heads from 1879 to 1902 dates.
Sense was set slightly higher than power up settings but nowhere close to max, thresh settings were not all that high either and the F70 was a little jumpy due to the EMI and the multiple signals under the coil but I still heard some clear repeatable tones and found these coins spread out over about a one foot area 7-8" deep...minimum.
In my travels I have come across several targets that had a pinpoint depth with numbers on the screen that flashed 12-13 14" and more but I could not dig them due to frozen soil.

The deepest target I have dug so far was in the middle of a public park where I had the settings maxed out on the thresh, sense and the disc was set low.
Again, a little noisy moving the coil over the ground but I acquired a target that sounded clear and stable and stopped me in my tracks.
On the screen I saw numbers jump from the 20's to the 40's but most of the time 23-25 flashed on the screen more than others.
Depth numbers showed 12-14" and this soil was not frozen so I had to dig this and see if there was actually anything down there.
At a depth every bit of 14" deep, (I measured this one), I did find a target which was the thumb ringer off an old bicycle handlebar bell.
In air testing after I got this out of the ground this thing came in at a solid 23-25 VDI.

All of these targets were found using the F75 11" DD coil which most have stated increase the range over the standard 10" elliptical concentric that comes on the F70 by a few inches and I believe it does just that.
Maybe more than a few inches.

Using the standard coil has its advantages also.
The deepest I have gotten so far has been a beaver tail target at a full 10".
A one way hit but solid in the tone and repeated every time from that one direction, absolutely no VDI numbers on the screen at all on this one.
The F70 and F75 will do this when scanning targets at the very edge of its scanning field, but I have learned that even with the screen the sounds you hear on the deep ones using the F70 are usually more important.

In heavy trash at a few inches deep that 10" coil found me a beautiful gold ring even though it was right next to trash.
Target separation is excellent on this coil...good using the 11" DD but better on this one from my experience so far.

As far as recovery speed the Fishers also excel in this area.
Using that 10" coil on my first hunt, settings not very high and disc not very low moving very quickly near the end of this hunt trying to find one great thing it happened.
In the outfield of a baseball field I heard a high tone even though I was sweeping that coil way too fast.
I went back and examined this target closer and everything stabilized with solid numbers on the screen and a clear repeating tone from several directions.
6" was the depth reading and digging down at exactly that 6" level I found a small silver pendant no bigger than a dime.

The F70 is an amazing machine from what I have seen so far, when it thaws out I am looking forward to putting it through its paces and discover even more about what it can do.

Jolly Roger Blue

Jan 18, 2014
Hurst, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Freedom ACE 2, GTA 500, ACE 250,Tesoro Silver U Max, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max…
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does the F 5 compare with the F70 as far as depth?

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the great info on the F70. The one question I have is which coil is deeper. You feel the DD is deeper from what you have said. Some say the concentric. It seems to be about 50/50 on the coil debate.

Anyone else on thoughts for depth between these two?

Jolly Roger Blue

Jan 18, 2014
Hurst, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought me a new Tesoro today $510. Looking forward to getting started with it. My first job is to locate a cache for a client. Let's see how it goes....

Jolly Roger Blue

Jan 18, 2014
Hurst, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great detector have fun, I love mine, just give it time and learn the language and it will be surprising the depth you can get.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does the F 5 compare with the F70 as far as depth?

I have both. Using 11DD coils on both, the F70 is deeper. I have a clad quarter buried at 8" in a test garden, the F5 barely knows it's there while the F70 running discrimination is banging away while displaying a repetitive accurate vdi.

Anything I can test for you?

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both. Using 11DD coils on both, the F70 is deeper. I have a clad quarter buried at 8" in a test garden, the F5 barely knows it's there while the F70 running discrimination is banging away while displaying a repetitive accurate vdi.

Anything I can test for you?

Can you air test a clad dime and tell me what you get for max distance with both coils?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using the proper 11DD coils on both the F70 and F5 at 80% sensitivity and -3 threshold. (Couldnt crank F70 to 100% stable) and clad dime. Did not ground balance for air test, both default to 82 I think.

F70
All metal, SL mode
I could hear a good tone out to 11".

Disc at 10
SL mode solid vdi73 to 8", broken at 9".
DE mode solid vdi73 to 6", broken to 7".

F5
All metal good tone out to 7", Id still dig the tone at 8".

Disc at 10
Solid vdi73 to 6", broken at 7".

On both a silver dime didn't seem to change depth but vdi was 75 on both.

I went ahead and ran F5 to 100%, gained an inch to inch and a half over 80%.

Again your test may be different and this same test may give different readings tomorrow. I done the tests outside.

Fwiw

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
An old post, but something was wrong with the F5 here, a GBP, F5, or an Omega 8000 using the 5" DD should air test at 10.5" all-metal or in discriminate mode set at iron, even inside a building with shop lights on overhead; The 11DD coil should read about 1/2" deeper in an air test; shop lights.jpg I would send the F5 in for recalibration. The F70 and F75 both will (should) read 11 as your tests show: And for an F5, GBP, or Omega 8000 the air tests should read only 1/2" less than with the F70 or F75. This equates to 10.5"

NASA TOM: > How well does the 5" DD coil air-test a nickel at
> different settings?
BP sens 80, disc 5 = 9" on a nickel At the 9" mark the ID numbers would go as low as 22, but none repeated, only random.
je sens 80, disc 5 = 7" on a nickel
de sens 80, disc 5 = 7" on a nickel

Anything past 7" gives a mixture of ID numbers and mostly below 30
At 6" the 5" coil gave a solid 31 with any of the above settings. Reply Quote
NASA-Tom
Re: results
January 22, 2014 02:54AM

If these are air-tests........... performance is too low for the 5" coil.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread