MXT and T2SE

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any honest comparisons with the MXT and T2SE? Depth, discrimination, etc? I have the MXT now and have been curious on the T2SE, but if there is not a good difference, then I will keep the MXT. I know the T2SE has more interferance around electrical lines, but any other comparisons from those that own both or that have owned each would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :coffee2:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
In spite of this being an old post, Ill write something anyway.

I find the MXT as noisy or noisier than the T2 or F75. And the Fisher CZ's are a whole lot quieter in bad soil and on salt beaches. In fact, I weighed in against an MXT one day on the Oregon salt coastal shores and the poor guy using the MXT had to run it wide open, and picked up nearly every pull-tab he encountered. I got no pull-tabs, but I did get clad coins. He (only) got pull-tabs, nothing else. My CZ, ran very smoothly and I had it wide open too, but I went with tone ID, while he couldn't quite do it with the MXT because it was just plain doing too much popping and crackling. That's when the guy asked me how much it would cost to buy one like mine. I told him the 70's were no longer made, but that the cz3d was, and it too was a beast on those high black sand/salt beaches..

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi LuckyLarry. Glad to see you have experience/use with both the MXT and T2. But, I am curious why you brought the CZs into the thread? Yes, most definetly a CZ is going to work much better in the environment you described,great machines except when used a nasty iron loaded spot which is where I hunt and my soil is mild. I am in the market for a new relic type machine and both above machines are known to work well in the relic type hunts. I had a F75SE,noisy busy body for sure, never made a connection with it after a year of use, maybe it wasnt shielded as well or the components in the machine just didnt work together. Ive read from others that you can get lucky and get a F75 that has much less emi. But, I also know that the F75 is a very sensitive machine. But, I wasnt going to keep purchasing F75s just to find one that was a bit tamer. The T2, being made by the same company and also a sensitive machine, do you find it to be as what I described from my F75se experience? If you are well versed in the MXT, would you or could you tell me a bit about the 2 relic modes? As I understand, one of them (trigger forward on the old MXT) puts the MXT into a dual mode, discrimination mode and all metal? Also do you know much about the SAT speeds of the different modes??? or do they each run the same SAT speed. If I recall, and please correct me if I am wrong, I have never owned a MXT, in Prospecting Mode,SAT speed can be set seperately? Well as I stated, I am looking for a new relic machine and was happy when I seen you had experience with both of the machines above.
Thanks for your time,
John

Last edited:
OP
OP
HDRK11

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the responses and am not planning on beach hunting. I had a F75SE for a while and it was very chatty I believe from EMI. Maybe I did not give it enough time to learn its adjustments and language. My MXT does not have as much if any issues with EMI where I hunt. I have heard the T2SE has a wider range of iron than the F75 for it's discrimination, which I thought the T2 would then be easier to distinguish none iron items? I hate to buy the T2 to be frustrated as I got with the F75 just to lose money later.

I have the older MXT and like the 2 tone relic mode, which I use mostly with no discrimination unless I am in a real trashy site. I even use the mode while coin shooting. I am just curious if the T2 would be a good fit if I learn the language and adjustments. Would it be deeper and discriminate through iron better, etc. The added tone option may be benificial as it is not like some detectors that have so many tones I get lost.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
John, the reason I brought the later cz's into the picture is because they are overall a better relic machine than the F Series and the MXT's, too much interference cancels deep, good targets.. One other thing to consider though is that with an oval shaped DD Whites coil, the MXT will handle bad ground better and with less noise too. After playing around with an MXT I became quickly disinterested in it at all, and the scrap and junk in the soil made so much noise that it was almost as bad as the Garrett Ace series, so I happily went back to searching with my CZ. Here is a good rule to follow; If a detector will work better than most others in high Fe soil and high salt soil simultaneously, it will also work better than most when searching in the Civil War soil. As you probably already know, Oregon was not involved in the Civil War, but we do still have old military sites and forts here anyway maintained to keep the peace among pillaging and plundering groups of people, and even in this harsh dirt here the CZ outshines the MXT, the T2, (AND) the F75, AND the various Minelabs when searching for relics. There are two old military forts within 40 miles of my home. I don't really care if my candor about brand comparisons make people uncomfortable hearing it, because it's true and that's just the way it is. This part of the country is the real testing grounds for metal detectors because of its nasty soil, and that's why most metal detector companies started right here, instead of somewhere else. At least 6 metal detector companies started within 60 miles from my home here where Whites main plant is. The T2 is a bit noisier here than the F75, and a Minelab is as rare as a silver bullet laying right on top of a pile of fresh sawdust, because Minelabs normally can't handle this iron soil here well at all. From what I have seen, a Vista Gold will work well in (your) mild soil, and so will a Tejon (maybe even the best?), and perhaps one of the Bulgarian machines because they are designed for the wussie dirt. A Nexus would probably go even deeper than a Vista or Tejon in your soil, but I wouldn't gamble the house on it, we always should try before we buy. And one last thought, there is never a detector of the same type, the same brand, the same style, and the same series and the same age that will perform "exactly the same" as the one that is "just like it", especially when it comes to a Tesoro.

Last edited:

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya LuckyLarry, man really appreciate the candor. I see your point now concerning your use of the CZs and I would and can not argue anyones use of a machine that works for them. I never have owned a CZ, but I had a friend with a CZ6a. And as you pointed out we have wussie dirt for the most part. Just curious if that is the difference. Yes, Tejons are well liked here and deep. Have not run across anyone using the Vistas but have read they are a good relic machine. The CZ6a would false like crazy in these nail beds and areas with tons of old farm implements, just like my ETrac in conductive. I will not go into these areas with an ETrac unless in Ferrous tones. And even then, I have no doubts im missing something because of masking,just the nature of the ETrac in that environment.
As i said, I was hoping you would share your experience with the MXT and T2, and you did. So I thank you for your time.
Curious, have you or know of anyone with experience on the XP GMP?
Thanks,
John

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Gator, no experience or knowledge about the XP GMP. Time will tell us both if it turns out on top of the heap instead of the bottom. Just like a free beer sign, if it's free we would all get some.. and then the whole country would form a line..

OP
OP
HDRK11

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for your replies, I actually do have a Tejon that works great for depth and most situations. However there are times I like a VDI and 2-4 tones. On the note of the Tejon, I cannot say enough about this detector. Thanks again.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep your mxt or change it for a mx5,'I have big problems with EMI and lots of nails and trash, only detector I haven't tested is the etrac other than that I have tested teknetics, fisher, Garrett,whites and Tesoro. Had the whites v3i and still preferred the mxt. Now I have a m6 and mx5. I am thinking of testing an etrac but not convinced yet.... For now my all time favorite was the mxt.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an mxt and i found silver half breeds in an old metal dump sites just fine...
you have to dig up the junk to know what your detector is telling you

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
The MXT is noisier because it is more powerful than anything mentioned yet. There is really no comparison.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MXT is noisier because it is more powerful than anything mentioned yet. There is really no comparison.
Ummm….NO! I had an MXT Pro and it was a great machine. No match for the CZ-3D (as mentioned above) however. You are right about it being noisier though!

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It never ceases to amaze me when people make performance comparison claims when they have never matched the ones they speak of against each other, and especially never in many various types of soil, and they probably never will either.. :laughing7:

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never ceases to amaze me when people make performance comparison claims when they have never matched the ones they speak of against each other, and especially never in many various types of soil, and they probably never will either.. :laughing7:

Thanks Larry! I've said the same thing many times. I always see guys posting all their comparison 'facts' from youtube vids or forum reviews, etc... Unless someone has actually used the detectors back to back, it's all just speculation.

floydsorenson

Greenie
Apr 16, 2014
I have used my mxt for about a year now noisy yes . it takes getting use to and it takes like any other detector settings are very important . as far as pull tabs getting rid of them is easy as setting the discrimination I like the relic mode for everything. I am using the 12 inch spider or 300 mm coil. Have found piles of clad some silver , rings and on the Oregon beaches and all Oregon Washington and California . but you need to set it properly use proper detecting methods listen to the targets when u find them. Experience with this or any other detector is important not something your going to get a handle on in a few hours of use. I have used this one detector for every situation I've come across can't say in anyway I'm disappointed in this machine the manufacturer or there service department . I had one issue with it that was totally my fault. I fell on my coil broke it in two peaces took it in they replaced it no questions asked . there service department is only 20 min away in sweet home Oregon the people are nice and friendly literally fixed it and checked it out wile I waited . asked me how it happened I told them the lady didn't even blink and asked me if I got hurt in the process. I figured I'd have to pay they bought out of the back and handed it to me and said here ya go have a nice day. It work perfectly and I was completely satisfied. I've hunted next to allot of other machines can't say I ever was disappointed in mine in comparison to what they found compared to my mxt.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In spite of this being an old post, Ill write something anyway.

I find the MXT as noisy or noisier than the T2 or F75. And the Fisher CZ's are a whole lot quieter in bad soil and on salt beaches. In fact, I weighed in against an MXT one day on the Oregon salt coastal shores and the poor guy using the MXT had to run it wide open, and picked up nearly every pull-tab he encountered. I got no pull-tabs, but I did get clad coins. He (only) got pull-tabs, nothing else. My CZ, ran very smoothly and I had it wide open too, but I went with tone ID, while he couldn't quite do it with the MXT because it was just plain doing too much popping and crackling. That's when the guy asked me how much it would cost to buy one like mine. I told him the 70's were no longer made, but that the cz3d was, and it too was a beast on those high black sand/salt beaches..

NOT True,

I did side by side tests with the F75 SE and it makes more noise than a Sewing machine, and Who ever that person was they did not know much about the MXT, if a person is digging too many pulltabs and they were using either the MXT E-series or the MXT-300 all they needed to do is push the trigger forward, OR Disc out OR Ignore the numbers between 12 and 30, The fact is you had learned more about your machine than he did with the MXT,,

There was no Solid reason for him to ever dig pulltabs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions