Garrett AT Pro vs Compass Scanner Series, and this is funny..

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
:thumbsup: Yes, I'm poking a bit of fun at the Garrett because most people don't realize that the old Compass Gold Scanners and the Compass Relic & Coin went deeper, found tiny gold nuggets deeper, easier, plus worked much better on high salt, and high iron beaches. Plus, yes, one more thing, the Compasses were superior in iron discrimination, cherry-picking, and had a faster re-tune too.. This is why the Compasses still bring top dollar, the last Goldscanner I saw on eBay went for $1100. Keep in mind too, that the Compass (Coin) Scanner used here is actually somewhat inferior to the Compass (Gold) Scanner series. If you ever get a chance to buy one of these jewels, don't hesitate at all, BUY IT! Notice too, that the poor guy here seemed a bit embarrassed, disenchanted(?), mystified(?), so he even left out the last test, the lateral one with the Garrett, even after he turned its iron discrimination off, because he knew it wouldn't get it..but the Compass did, and very easily too.. And yes, I have one of these beautiful old treasures right behind me right now, and another one in the other room:hello:

Last edited:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great vid's LL!! How's the compass on iron in the ground with the HALO effect sound??? Thanx...

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I bought my Gold Scanner Pro from Kellyco in 1989 for around $495 as I recall. (Recall is not so hot now).
Yup, great machines. I can air test a nickel around 13 inches.
Rich

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video's Larry. I have been telling the ATP guys that they are making false claims as to the efficiency of their detector since they have no experience with the better older ones. But if they are having fun, that is all that matters and they leave the good stuff in the ground for us.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Fishstick, as you and I both know, the "halo effect" is in regards to iron which breaks down and "scatters", dissipates, or leaches out minute particles of iron oxide from an iron target so easily and quickly, and does not become a target of other metallic bases in a general sense, because other metals take more than decades to break down that far, save for copper which breaks down a tiny bit more than other precious or semi-precious metals. With those other metals like gold, silver, brass, copper, aluminum, etc, it would take up to 400 years for enough trace particles to register on even a super-sensitive detector like the Gold Bug Pro or the Goldscanner Pro, and that would be so minimal that it may not register at all anyway. That said, the Compasses would "read" the conductivity of any of the trace iron a bit better, but the iron "halo effect" is never as great as most say it is anyway, so therein lies your answer. A target is a target, is a target, and the more metal it gets to read, the better the signal, regardless of which metal it is..

Last edited:
OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
TF, Keith at East Texas Metal Detectors can re-vitalize your Compass detector if you ever need it done, he was one of the designers of it..and he repairs them and other brands too..

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx Larry!!! That makes sense. I guess I should keep a lookout for one of the jewels!!!
HH bud!!!!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I know I had an At-Pro and it was just like a boat, it had two happy days... the day I bought it and the day I sold it....

BTW check this out:
Iron test...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread