Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt either is deeper than the other. CZ's will handle bad ground better but since your soil isn't bad, this may not be a factor to you.
The CZ6a is an older unit so I don't know how part availability is. May want to check w/Fisher directly on that.

Tejon will be much lighter until you hip/chest mount the CZ then the CZ will have a weight advantage (for swinging).

8 AA's vs 2 9v's

CZ6a is water resistant if that means anything. It does not have an external speaker so headphone all the time will be necessary.

CZ's are deep coin hogs and don't need a lot of sens/gain to do it. I love mine CZ (CZ-3D) but they can be weighty. I run mine hip mounted as often as possible unless I'm in heavy grass, brush etc because the coil cable can hang up.

Couple more things about the CZ's…SO easy to use and learn and they run very well with low disc and low sens and don't get "chatty". You can run em over the presets and and still have stability in high emi areas. I targeted a deeper coin ('54 wheat) yesterday and I kept turning the sens down till I couldn't detected it any longer. It was almost at the lowest setting before it disappeared. BTW I NEVER run my sens over 5 with 10 being max.

Depending on how cheap you can get the CZ for, that's the route I'd go. Won't be out much if you don't like it. People that own em, rarely let em go. Reason for that.

I have no doubt the Tejon is a great detector too.

Good luck on whatever your decision.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella summed it up pretty well. I have both the Tejon and CZ6a and the depth on both is about equal. The reason the CZ6a is so hot is it works on TWO frequencies at the same time like the CZ-21. it is water resistant for hunting in the rain, the reason for no speaker. It can be chest mounted as the bracket is on the control box and has a longer cable and many coils available just like the Tejon. The CZ-6a is still a great detector. I use Black Widow headphones on both the Fisher and Tesoro for better hearing the faint whispers.

CZ6A.JPG :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been hesitating mostly because I have been so busy with work and kids soccer. I am hesitant about buying a 20 year old detector, even though it is in great shape. I think the guy will take $250 for it and it is like new. Common sense says get the new Tejon with the warranty and light weight, but the other side of me says it is too good of a deal to pass up.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be on it like flies on poo for that money!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread