Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a true statement sandman thanks for posting it!
All these newbies with the AT Pro that think they have the best detector out there are ignorant of what other detectors can do. It's all in the fun we have hunting. But I think the Garrett users should learn what other detectors are before ranting on how good there ATP's are. They have nothing to base their claims on.

My AT Pro is tied to a tree out back. I hope it gets scared at night.:laughing7:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres is a 6 minute at pro myth killing video on recovery speeds.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The greatest thing about this hobby is one van have multiple machines for any possible scenarios if they van afford them. I was partial to Tesoros for many years for the type of hunting I do in old sites littered with square nails, stove parts, and flat tin because they flat out work and in some cases like the Tejon and Bandido2 micromax still are the best for certain sites. I own an f75 gold dst LTD and an AT gold and have tested them many times side by side. I prefer the gold over the pro because of the true threshold based AM and 18khz but the pro is still no slouch in the nail beds with the right coil. The 5x8 or nel snake turn the pro into a formidable iron site worker. Garrett hit a home run with them two machines that left the other companies playing catch up that has taken years to accomplish. The ID at depth is very stable on them even though they are not as deep as most but will still get you 6 to 8 inches on a dime with accurate ID. The tone roll and proportional audio works exceptional and the iron audio allows non ferrous targets to kind of bleed through. Fact is it has some of the best audio in nails I have ever used. On top of all that the damn thing can be dropped in a creek is built very rugged and handles EMI better than most machines. My gold goes with me on every hunt cause I never know when that rain comes along or I want to jump in the lake to cool off on a hot summer day but am not ready to stop hunting. And don't say we'll the deus can go under water cause that antennae thing is a piece of crap.lol

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I own about 25 different detectors (haven't counted them lately), and worked on thousands of them, and I own a Sea Hunter MK2 and a CZ70 for salt high Fe beach hunting, but my go-to detectors are usually my cheap $60 American Hawks Navigator and my Tesoro Compadre. I dumped my Minelab because the CZ ran circles around it for depth and target separation, and so many others I own beat it like a red-headed stepchild as far as cherry-picking goes. I had a Garrette Ace series but the 'Bong, Bong' sound nearly drove me to drinking so I sold it. If I were to buy a new detector today I'd opt for a T2 or F-75, and maybe a Garrette ATX, they handle my bad ground better here than anything else I have tried, owned, or seen, including the various Whites built only 1 mile down the road from my house. Would I buy an AT Pro? Probably not, even though the depth s-l1600.jpg isn't bad for its price range. Would I buy an F-70? Of course I would, why not? Would I buy a European machine? My guess is no, American made ones are just as good, or better. And personally, I would buy top of the line Garrettes over top of the line Minelabs or Whites, and I was involved in (building, redesigning) Whites for awhile earlier in my life. My preferences are; Good cheap excellent cherry-pickers for everyday use... and the best and deepest ones in case I am expecting to find something really worth my time and effort to hunt it or them.

juiu.jpg

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have used many machines over the last 25 years that I have detected.

I have hundreds if not thousands of hours on an XLT. I do not see anyone flouting that machine as the second coming of Christ, but I used to pull dimes out of the ground at 8" easy. Why? Because I learned the machine. I stopped walking past the iron targets because I learned that they are probably deep coins that are too deep for the ID to work right.

At the end of the day, what matters to me is using a machine that I know well, and I enjoy using.

Different strokes, I guess, but if you do not swing a machine for a year, don't think you know it well.

I do get amused by the ATP crowd, they are the only ones who use their model number in their recovery stories.

"I got a solid 75 on the AT Pro"

I am going to start doing that.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used many machines over the last 25 years that I have detected.

I have hundreds if not thousands of hours on an XLT. I do not see anyone flouting that machine as the second coming of Christ, but I used to pull dimes out of the ground at 8" easy. Why? Because I learned the machine. I stopped walking past the iron targets because I learned that they are probably deep coins that are too deep for the ID to work right.

At the end of the day, what matters to me is using a machine that I know well, and I enjoy using.

Different strokes, I guess, but if you do not swing a machine for a year, don't think you know it well.

I do get amused by the ATP crowd, they are the only ones who use their model number in their recovery stories.

"I got a solid 75 on the AT Pro"

I am going to start doing that.

I did that back in 2015 sort of tongue and cheek :tongue3:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/462079-had-fun-yesterday-today-think-i-wasnt-using-pro-cheezy-grin.html

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New patriot can be had for 400.......f75 at 599. pro still sitting at the 550+ mark. Tables have turned.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New patriot can be had for 400.......f75 at 599. pro still sitting at the 550+ mark. Tables have turned.

Don't really see where tables have turned any....I have owned the f75 and f75ltd both with and without DST. They are a very sparky, high-gained machine which will make some "think" that they are much deeper than a machine such as the AT pro... Are they deeper? Yes, but not by as much as you may think and they will also grab rusty iron twice as fast as the Garrett. The AT pro, once learned, is much easier to tell these trash targets at depth than the Fisher. ID numbers are no better on the Fisher at depth and the Fisher, in my opinion is under built for rugged relic hunting. The flimsy lightweight construction does make it nice to swing for extended periods, but for a relic hunter who doesn't mind swinging a GPX5000 all day, the AT pro is a featherweight and very durable.....oh and I have to say it....WATERPROOF! Also comes with descent headphones, so I would still take it for 50 bucks less than the F75. And with the release of the new AT Max coming at a little over $700...I would not even think about the F75ltd. By the way the F75 is terrible on the beach....if you want to use your machine there. I would rate the AT pro somewhere just above average for beach use(wet sand). To get much better you will have to go with a beach detector. In conclusion, I just feel that the AT pro is the more versatile, and reliable machine of the two....with the F75 only being slightly better for long days hunting fields for relics. But my Tejon takes first honors for that style of hunting beating out every other VLF machine I have used for those deep civil war relics!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't really see where tables have turned any....I have owned the f75 and f75ltd both with and without DST. They are a very sparky, high-gained machine which will make some "think" that they are much deeper than a machine such as the AT pro... Are they deeper? Yes, but not by as much as you may think and they will also grab rusty iron twice as fast as the Garrett. The AT pro, once learned, is much easier to tell these trash targets at depth than the Fisher. ID numbers are no better on the Fisher at depth and the Fisher, in my opinion is under built for rugged relic hunting. The flimsy lightweight construction does make it nice to swing for extended periods, but for a relic hunter who doesn't mind swinging a GPX5000 all day, the AT pro is a featherweight and very durable.....oh and I have to say it....WATERPROOF! Also comes with descent headphones, so I would still take it for 50 bucks less than the F75. And with the release of the new AT Max coming at a little over $700...I would not even think about the F75ltd. By the way the F75 is terrible on the beach....if you want to use your machine there. I would rate the AT pro somewhere just above average for beach use(wet sand). To get much better you will have to go with a beach detector. In conclusion, I just feel that the AT pro is the more versatile, and reliable machine of the two....with the F75 only being slightly better for long days hunting fields for relics. But my Tejon takes first honors for that style of hunting beating out every other VLF machine I have used for those deep civil war relics!

I'd agree in some areas here. If you look at the majority of people owning AT PROS, and f75's, you will see them swinging inland and not wading waist high. At the end of the day the fisher IS the deeper machine. I will admit, my 75 likes the rusty iron, but you absolutely have to dig this to get the deepies. I'd love to try out a tejon some day. One thing to note also is you need to point out the fishers strong points not just the weak ones. Put the AT PRO in an iron pit with an F75 and watch the pro get spanked. It just doesn't have the seperation or ability to pull the coins up from the trash IMO. I just hunted a spot yesterday where an AT PRO went over and pulled a half dozen coins that were missed. Amongst other spots. I've put hundreds of hard hours on my 75, and it is taking it with ease. The AT PRO is definitely quality too. Like the old saying. You need to learn your machine.....really what it all boils down to.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd agree in some areas here. If you look at the majority of people owning AT PROS, and f75's, you will see them swinging inland and not wading waist high. At the end of the day the fisher IS the deeper machine. I will admit, my 75 likes the rusty iron, but you absolutely have to dig this to get the deepies. I'd love to try out a tejon some day. One thing to note also is you need to point out the fishers strong points not just the weak ones. Put the AT PRO in an iron pit with an F75 and watch the pro get spanked. It just doesn't have the seperation or ability to pull the coins up from the trash IMO. I just hunted a spot yesterday where an AT PRO went over and pulled a half dozen coins that were missed. Amongst other spots. I've put hundreds of hard hours on my 75, and it is taking it with ease. The AT PRO is definitely quality too. Like the old saying. You need to learn your machine.....really what it all boils down to.

I will agree with most of your statement .....just remember that just because you find stuff where an AT pro has hunted does not mean much. There are way too many variables.....like the skill level of the operators, how well they know their machines.,,,even ground conditions on different days. I have found targets with many machines that I could say this or that detector missed. I will admit that the F75 is a little deeper than the Pro...and a very good machine. But at the end of the day, a user who really knows the AT pro will not leave much for the F75 to find. When I have seen the biggest difference is when ground conditions are extremely hot, like Culpeper, Va, with red iron infested soils. The F75 ltd or the AT pro will not see a big 3 ring civil war bullet as anything other than a nail (or not at all) past the 8" mark. Take the AT Gold back, and find out real quick how many of those fringe (8-10") targets you missed. Tejon is good at this also, but requires a more trained ear and user experience. I am not trying to take anything away from the F75.....In good soil conditions it is probably right there with the deepest VLF machines out there.....

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will agree with most of your statement .....just remember that just because you find stuff where an AT pro has hunted does not mean much. There are way too many variables.....like the skill level of the operators, how well they know their machines.,,,even ground conditions on different days. I have found targets with many machines that I could say this or that detector missed. I will admit that the F75 is a little deeper than the Pro...and a very good machine. But at the end of the day, a user who really knows the AT pro will not leave much for the F75 to find. When I have seen the biggest difference is when ground conditions are extremely hot, like Culpeper, Va, with red iron infested soils. The F75 ltd or the AT pro will not see a big 3 ring civil war bullet as anything other than a nail (or not at all) past the 8" mark. Take the AT Gold back, and find out real quick how many of those fringe (8-10") targets you missed. Tejon is good at this also, but requires a more trained ear and user experience. I am not trying to take anything away from the F75.....In good soil conditions it is probably right there with the deepest VLF machines out there.....

It's nice people on here give machines credit where it's due. Not just typical fan boys. I am going to get an at pro in the future, for water hunting. Hard to beat the price for an all terrain machine. To be honest, I love the fact there are so many different options out there. I just took my tesoro out last night and had an absolute blast in a TRASHY spot. That thing will pull coins out of any spot. Nice not having an idea of what you're digging too. Kind of getting off topic but just stating that every machine has their strong points. For me personally, and my hunting I do, my very next detector will be the patriot. Hard to beat a 400 dollar backup machine with almost as many options as my f75. Told the wife the patriot will be her new machine.....but that's just a cover....Lol! HH.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its an old thread, I wonder if the OP is still detecting or if his opinion changed?.I have owned several machines and currently own a F75 . I certainly wouldnt call it sparky. It has DST but I never run it so high that you have to 'work through the noise'. Those days are over. So are the days of expensive F75 and F70s. If you run zero scrim on the 75 it will give you an iron grunt on high vdis that indicate the target is trash. That saves you having to press the iron button on the garret. The ATP is slightly nose heavy, the F75 is quite long when stowing in a backpack. They both have good and bad points. Interestingly they are both getting quite long in the production run. Will the ATP price drop now with the new ATMax out?

Chub

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its an old thread, I wonder if the OP is still detecting or if his opinion changed?.I have owned several machines and currently own a F75 . I certainly wouldnt call it sparky. It has DST but I never run it so high that you have to 'work through the noise'. Those days are over. So are the days of expensive F75 and F70s. If you run zero scrim on the 75 it will give you an iron grunt on high vdis that indicate the target is trash. That saves you having to press the iron button on the garret. The ATP is slightly nose heavy, the F75 is quite long when stowing in a backpack. They both have good and bad points. Interestingly they are both getting quite long in the production run. Will the ATP price drop now with the new ATMax out?

Chub
Not sure what "iron button" you are speaking of.....as there is no "iron check" on the at machines like the ATX.....seems you might be trying to make an opinion without any experience as a lot of people on here do. The AT pro or Gold will grunt on any ferrous target without pressing any buttons and will give a high or mid tone followed by a grunt on bottle caps, etc. And I believe the AT Max may make the AT pro obsolete all together if it is what it is suppose to be....

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Chub

I've dug plenty of deep silver dimes so far with mine with a slight iron grunt mixed in with the high tones while in 2f. I am starting to learn the language of the f75 to "hear" iron that vdi's high.

tektin

Feb 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these newbies with the AT Pro that think they have the best detector out there are ignorant of what other detectors can do. It's all in the fun we have hunting. But I think the Garrett users should learn what other detectors are before ranting on how good there ATP's are. They have nothing to base their claims on.

My AT Pro is tied to a tree out back. I hope it gets scared at night.:laughing7:

I think they rely on too many you Tube vids. They see all these great finds and think the AT Pro is the bomb. I work my 75 LTD next to an AT Pro all the time and kick butt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions