Fisher F5 - Whites Coinmaster GT - Whites MX5

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please comment on the pros and cons of the Fisher F5, Whites Coinmaster GT and MX5 relative to the following:

Ground balance: The Whites units Auto Trac that continually balances changing ground conditions. The Fisher has "computerized and manual ground balance". The "computerized" function is the initial "bobbing" set up. As ground conditions change, you either bob again or move the ground balance knob to maintain proper ground balance. Which ground balance method do you believe is more accurate? Does the Whites sacrifice accuracy for automation? Does the Fisher trade off total automation for greater accuracy?

Discrimination: Which machine discriminates iron and various pull tabs from nickels and gold rings better? Despite the greater apparent resolution in the Whites (see below) is there any real world difference because of that greater readout resolution?
GT = 9 zones; 2 digit visual display (-95 to +95)
MX5 = 20 zones; 2 digit visual display (-95 to +95)
F5 = 8 zones; 2 digit target ID (1 - 99)

Adapting to difficult situations like fencing, EMI, excessive conductive junk, etc.: Which machine has the edge?

User interface and ease of use: I am attracted to the real time, on the fly knobby user interface of the Fisher. Is that really an advantage or is it disadvantage compared to the push-button, more menu-driven interface of the Whites machines? Does the Whites sacrifice flexibility for simplicity? Or do they get things just right for the great majority of conditions we are likely to encounter? Does the Fisher sacrifice simiplicity and predictable program settings in order to provide nearly infinite settings of controls?

Pinpointing: From what I've read in the manuals and experienced with the GT, pinpointing is on target on the GT when the depth shows the shallowest readout. On the Fisher, according to videos I've watched, appears to be the louder tone, despite the depth readout. Is this a correct understanding? Is one method preferable or more accurate than another?

Frequency: The GT operates at 8.192 kHZ; the MX5 at 14 kHz; the F5 at 7.8 kHz. Do any of these frequencies provide an advantage to coin and jewelry hunting?

Pricing (street): GT - $359; MX5 - $559; Fisher F5 - $499

Weight: GT and MX5 - 3 lbs 9 oz.; Fisher F5 - 3.0 lbs.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Thanks for sharing...

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please comment on the pros and cons of the Fisher F5, Whites Coinmaster GT and MX5 relative to the following:

Ground balance: The Whites units Auto Trac that continually balances changing ground conditions. The Fisher has "computerized and manual ground balance". The "computerized" function is the initial "bobbing" set up. As ground conditions change, you either bob again or move the ground balance knob to maintain proper ground balance. Which ground balance method do you believe is more accurate? Does the Whites sacrifice accuracy for automation? Does the Fisher trade off total automation for greater accuracy?

Discrimination: Which machine discriminates iron and various pull tabs from nickels and gold rings better? Despite the greater apparent resolution in the Whites (see below) is there any real world difference because of that greater readout resolution?
GT = 9 zones; 2 digit visual display (-95 to +95)
MX5 = 20 zones; 2 digit visual display (-95 to +95)
F5 = 8 zones; 2 digit target ID (1 - 99)

Adapting to difficult situations like fencing, EMI, excessive conductive junk, etc.: Which machine has the edge

User interface and ease of use: I am attracted to the real time, on the fly knobby user interface of the Fisher. Is that really an advantage or is it disadvantage compared to the push-button, more menu-driven interface of the Whites machines? Does the Whites sacrifice flexibility for simplicity? Or do they get things just right for the great majority of conditions we are likely to encounter? Does the Fisher sacrifice simiplicity and predictable program settings in order to provide nearly infinite settings of controls?

Pinpointing: From what I've read in the manuals and experienced with the GT, pinpointing is on target on the GT when the depth shows the shallowest readout. On the Fisher, according to videos I've watched, appears to be the louder tone, despite the depth readout. Is this a correct understanding? Is one method preferable or more accurate than another?

Frequency: The GT operates at 8.192 kHZ; the MX5 at 14 kHz; the F5 at 7.8 kHz. Do any of these frequencies provide an advantage to coin and jewelry hunting?

Pricing (street): GT - $359; MX5 - $559; Fisher F5 - $499

Weight: GT and MX5 - 3 lbs 9 oz.; Fisher F5 - 3.0 lbs.

I'll take a fisher over a whites any day,,fisher finds stuff deep,white keeps you occupied with adjutment,put a game boy slot on a whites xlt and find a cool shade tree and 12 pack,,all good then...:thumbsup:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take a fisher over a whites any day,,fisher finds stuff deep,white keeps you occupied with adjutment,put a game boy slot on a whites xlt and find a cool shade tree and 12 pack,,all good then...:thumbsup:

Yep same here! Fisher in a heartbeat. F series has great ergonomics, good balance and reasonable weight. Very sensitive and good depth, even from the F2 in my experience. Every White's I've used or owned will beep with only a slight bump of the coil on rocks, rough ground etc...This can be very frustrating in areas with alot of tall stubble, etc...This is a big deal breaker after my last experience with White's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions