Minelab Quattro vs SovGT...lets throw in X-Terra why not.

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Hello. I have read many good reviews on the SovGT. Great depth...great on the beach. A little heavy, no screen so you have to listen ( but that's a good thing to many people right?) Multi frequency I believe?...so good in salt?

Where does the Quattro fit in? It looks like a cross between a Safari and an E-Trac. Probably a little heavy. Nice screen to look at and hopefully believe. Multi frequency so good in the wet sand? Or not? Is it anywhere near the Sov in depth? Is it anywhere near the Etrac?

While I'm at it.....what about the X-Terra 705 in comparison? It has a beach mode but does it's single frequency hold it back significantly in wet sand?

I primarily hit parks but plan on also hitting the beach with whatever detector I buy next. I know PI detectors are pure beach machines...but then why do I also see so many glowing reviews on multi-Frequency machines being used just as often in the dirt AND the beach?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The Sovereign & Excalibur was the best detector's Minelab has put out the Safari is just a Quattro with a different name and color…And they will drive you nuts they sound off on every thing….. I will VOTE FOR THE SOVEREIGN .. with the Sovereign you will never have to upgrade except if you want to dive or gold prospect …Then you still want the Sovereign for the beach and inland you know parks , fields , yards...

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If your primarily hitting parks I would say the xterra 705 is your best bet. Fairly fast reset, good selection of coils for your intentions and Minelab is still making them. Ive never used a Quattro but have read they are as keppy says the older version of the Safari and those are from my understanding a simplified Explorer series. Ive used Explorers, have an Etrac now. The Etrac is awesome almost anywhere except wading, gotta be careful there. Safari and Etrac are still being made.
The Sov is probably the most versatile since you can pole mount it/chest mount it/hipmount it. So wading is no problem. I like Sovs best on the beach or areas with not a whole lot of trash. Sov has a slower reset than the Xterra, which equals not as good in trashy areas, but its deeper than the Xterra. It is not being made anymore.
Sov and Quattro are going to both be heavy detectors, the Xterra far lighter.
As far as why people use multi freq machines versus other machines, that can be for a load of reasons. The biggest Ive seen is better ID at depth and versatility in that at the ocean I can go from dry to wet sand with no adjustments and get great performance(no need to ground balance ever).
You have an AT pro listed in your signature, the Xterra is close in performance to that, but has better balance, better screen.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Quattro is no longer supported by ML service from what I have read. The Sovereign is my favorite all around machine for beach, relics, and some coin shooting.

I have an Xterra 705 and that would be my first choice for parks, but I haven't used it on the beach yet to test the beach ground balance. The Xterra has great balance, audio, very fast recovery speed. Coupled with the 6" Digger coil it is amazing in trashy sites. The prospecting mode is great too for checking iffy targets and the iron reject is very good. The sounds are almost identical to the Minelab GPX PI machines.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread