CZ-3D vrrs. Vaquero on depth?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont need a new machine.....buyt i want another one. And these two have always interested me. I have looked at the fisher several times and i just finished the book "mastering the tejon and vaquero" so the Vaq has my attention also. So, ffor users of both; whiich machine is deeper on a dime? That is my only question about the two.....which is deeper?

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't have the vaquero but have had many tesoros,even my handle "supertraq" is reference to my lobo supertraq,that said the cz3d or cz5/6a are consistantly more versital be it mineralized soil or the beach a cz will go deep and find more.I have found more with my cz's than all other combined..You will see people like me with a cz that they bought in the mid 90's and still have it and wont part with it and their still going strong.Of course i wont part with my supertraq either..Both manufatures make good machines so it comes down to what your going to be doing,,if the salt beach is not ever in the picture,well :dontknow:

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have the vaquero but have had many tesoros,even my handle "supertraq" is reference to my lobo supertraq,that said the cz3d or cz5/6a are consistantly more versital be it mineralized soil or the beach a cz will go deep and find more.I have found more with my cz's than all other combined..You will see people like me with a cz that they bought in the mid 90's and still have it and wont part with it and their still going strong.Of course i wont part with my supertraq either..Both manufatures make good machines so it comes down to what your going to be doing,,if the salt beach is not ever in the picture,well :dontknow:
Thanks for the reply Supertraq........And no i dont hunt beaches...maybe one time a year. But the Cz seems to be the goto for alot of old coin hunters.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Totally agree with Supertraq....I have both and my CZ5 that was purchased in way back in 1994 is still going strong and is still my primary unit! Will never part with it!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't own either, but besides the depth you might want to consider target separation abilities. I have researched the CZ3D quite a bit and have come close to buying one. Everything I have seen says and shows it is definitely a deep one. The only thing that concerned me is that several owners said it did not have the best target separation. From what I have seen though the CZ3D is king when it comes to slaying nickels, and we all know a lot of rings fall into this conductivity slot. The only other thing that I found to be aware of is that deeper targets, like most detectors can register lower than if they were shallow.

Regardless, the CZ3D is still one detector I would love to own.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't own either, but besides the depth you might want to consider target separation abilities. I have researched the CZ3D quite a bit and have come close to buying one. Everything I have seen says and shows it is definitely a deep one. The only thing that concerned me is that several owners said it did not have the best target separation. From what I have seen though the CZ3D is king when it comes to slaying nickels, and we all know a lot of rings fall into this conductivity slot. The only other thing that I found to be aware of is that deeper targets, like most detectors can register lower than if they were shallow.

Regardless, the CZ3D is still one detector I would love to own.[/QUOTE/]

I also want a Tejon,with the mild florida soils i could really find some deep stuff and yea tesoros are probally the best there is in trash.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Supertraq, last night I had the Tejon out in our mild sandy soil. I get a softer round hit, but not a whisper. At 9" (the length of a Pro Pointer) the pinpointer did not hit anything, but the detector showed it was still there. At about 3-4 inches past that the pinpointer just started indicating. At about another 3" I found a broken bottle that had a cap on it. The bottle was sitting upright with the cap on it. Removed the bottle and detector showed no more target. The plug I cut was only about 4" wide. My arm was in the hole dam near to my elbow to get the target. In mild soil the Tejon is mind boggling deep! It continually blows my mind with depth that it gets.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a used cz3d calibrated by Tom D. In good condition.....got it for $475......be here in a few days.......good deal?????

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a used cz3d calibrated by Tom D. In good condition.....got it for $475......be here in a few days.......good deal?????
Oh yea you did..wish it was me buying it for that amount of coin.
My cz6a will eventually get modded by Tom,but i first want to get a tejon to play with after what rainy day said,thats what some of the mild soil ares around here need,more depth the old hunted out sites start producing,stuff sinks fast here..

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yea you did..wish it was me buying it for that amount of coin.
My cz6a will eventually get modded by Tom,but i first want to get a tejon to play with after what rainy day said,thats what some of the mild soil ares around here need,more depth the old hunted out sites start producing,stuff sinks fast here..

LuckyLarry will also tell you that in mild soil the Tejon is about as deep as it gets. He is right! I love my Tejon but am going to sell it because I want to focus the majority of my detecting in the water. I have a Tigershark and want to go scuba. I am gonna use the Tejon money to finish buying scuba equipment and pay for certification. If you are interested in my Tejon, send me a PM.

mojotrout

Jan 21, 2013
Idaho's high desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LuckyLarry will also tell you that in mild soil the Tejon is about as deep as it gets. He is right! I love my Tejon but am going to sell it because I want to focus the majority of my detecting in the water. I have a Tigershark and want to go scuba. I am gonna use the Tejon money to finish buying scuba equipment and pay for certification. If you are interested in my Tejon, send me a PM.

Rainy! Didn't you just spend an entire year researching and picking everyone's brains to figure out the Tejon was the machine for you? Only to sell it a few months later?! You're nuts!

That said, getting SCUBA certified and into the water sites you have up there sounds like a great way to find some cool stuff. If I had some extra coin laying around I might be interested in the Tejon, but as is, I'll be waiting a while for any new detector...

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont need a new machine.....buyt i want another one. And these two have always interested me. I have looked at the fisher several times and i just finished the book "mastering the tejon and vaquero" so the Vaq has my attention also. So, ffor users of both; whiich machine is deeper on a dime? That is my only question about the two.....which is deeper?
Be aware! They do not all get the same depth (at least mine didn't) as the youtube vids. My Vaquero airtested on a dime at about 7.5". In a fresh test garden I could get a one-way blip at 6". This is with the 5.75" DD. Stock coil was about the same. I dug ALOT of iron (coin sized) trash that would not disc out, even at the highest disc.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be aware! They do not all get the same depth (at least mine didn't) as the youtube vids. My Vaquero airtested on a dime at about 7.5". In a fresh test garden I could get a one-way blip at 6". This is with the 5.75" DD. Stock coil was about the same. I dug ALOT of iron (coin sized) trash that would not disc out, even at the highest disc.

I decided on the CZ.....should be here Friday. Wanted this machine when i bought the ATpro....got talked out of it. Wanted it when i bought the F75....got talked out of it....So this time i bought it. Been tuned by nasa Tom....certified at 10.5 on a clad dime.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided on the CZ.....should be here Friday. Wanted this machine when i bought the ATpro....got talked out of it. Wanted it when bought the F75....got talked out of it....So this time i bought it. Been tuned by nasa Tom....certified at 10.5 on a clad dime.

Congrats! Other than the balance issue, I've heard very good reports on the CZ. Fisher makes great detectors. Even the F2 is an amazing detector for the price.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Other than the balance issue, I've heard very good reports on the CZ. Fisher makes great detectors. Even the F2 is an amazing detector for the price.

Thanks....hope it is all i have thought it would be....lol

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided on the CZ.....should be here Friday. Wanted this machine when i bought the ATpro....got talked out of it. Wanted it when i bought the F75....got talked out of it....So this time i bought it. Been tuned by nasa Tom....certified at 10.5 on a clad dime.

Just curious...How does one get their machine tuned by NASA Tom? Do you just send it to him and pay him a fee or something? HOw does the process work?

Thanks

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks....hope it is all i have thought it would be....lol

Fletch got a CZ 3d and he said really likes it, & its very deep. He also owned a Vaquero.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious...How does one get their machine tuned by NASA Tom? Do you just send it to him and pay him a fee or something? HOw does the process work?

Thanks
Yes, that is how it works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread