ShootOut! CTX3030/XP Deus/Fors Core/Velox one/CF77

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
If the test targets are touching each other, there shouldn't be any masking going on. There shouldn't be, even cheap detectors can pick up a high conductive target touching a ferrous target (as long as the detector can reach the targets depth-wise). Here, your test had the targets 6" or so deep, so there was some struggle, essentially the ferrous target made the non-ferrous target weaker, but there shouldn't have been any masking. Some high end detectors will fail at this, which speaks volumes.

Put the ferrous target above the non ferrous target with some space in-between the two targets, and it's a different story; much more masking going on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Add some space huh?Ok will do and we will see if there is a difference.Seems if I add space it will be easier for the detector to see and seperate both targets doesnt it?When I laid the giant nail right on top and touching the dime it would make it alot harder for the dime to be seperated wouldnt it?rember I was testing discrimination..Seems it would be making it easier not harder...I will try tho and film the results

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your CTX pattern was WAY too closed, and turn off manual GB. the CTX doesn't need or even like GB unless you have VERY, VERY bad ground. were you in ground-coin or ferrous coin?

OP
OP
N

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
I used the coin program..and i used High trash..I also Used a wide open screen with 2 tone...All the other machines hit with no special adjustments,Im not new to minelab.If you want to stare at a screen on every sqeek and 5 min trying to figure out if there's a signal the ctx is the machine.All the other machines gave clear audio indication there was a good target.Minelab struggled with any audio,but the vdi hit sometimes saying there might be something there.I think audio hunting is the method i like most rather than using the screen so much.You have some magic settings that will hit this dime let me know...its only 6 1/2 inches deep.I would like for it to hit it as much as anyone..I spent 2500 bucks on it.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh planted test bed results are pretty meaningless. I know that we've become a society of instant gratification, but until that soil has been left alone for a year or more your test doesn't even begin to simulate real world conditions.
A much better test would be to go out and actually find a target in the ground, test all your machines on it, then dig it up to see which one(s) got it right. If you're looking for masking situations with multiple targets in the hole, you can either throw out your need for immediacy and wait a year or more on your planted scenario, or use Trace on the CTX, or use your fastest deepest machine(s) to locate similar existing circumstances for a test. Then you might have a decent "shootout".

OP
OP
N

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
The Newly buried targets all the machines could hit except the ctx....That test is as good as they come.If you watched the video.....Target trace was on...I tried multiple modes.So you may think its meaningless...The fact is these types of test are done all the time.It was simulating real world conditions on my sites.And being buried for a year would deff make it alot easier for any machine to pick it up.The ctx couldn't get it.period..The rest did.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that tests like it are done all the time doesn't add any credibility to them. It is well known that Minelabs don't fair well in air or fresh buried tests, and the different technologies employed in those machines is such that a similar test on an undisturbed target scenario would be better. That's all.
I don't question your proficiency with the machines.....only the test method. I DID watch the video, and I know that you had Trace on, but that wasn't my point. I was only suggesting that you locate a masked target either with one of the other units or with Trace on for a REAL real world test instead of fresh buried.
I give you more credit than most on your test, if for no other reason than the fact that you at least used roughly equivalent coils. :thumbsup:
You asked for our thoughts....now you have mine (for what it is or isn't worth).

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Now i think the test's were fair all tested with same coin , same depth , same fresh soil , … i use Minelab's and the Minelab lost i thought the test was fair … Niagra.. You are getting these Minelab people worked up.. They get in a frenzy about there detectors … And when $1000.00 detector beats up on a $3000.00 detector they are not happy to see that..

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also note that the CTX is the only multi-freq machine in the test, so the difference in technologies could easily be a contributing factor in the test results.
And I have to ask (because you didn't say in the video), what frequency did you test the XP in?
I like the concept of selectable frequencies, as the lower frequencies distinguish between high and low conductors better. I fish a lot of good targets out of iron infested areas with the 3kHz coil on my Xterra and I have to believe that 4kHz on the XP would be similar. Any input on that?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say what Longhair did.

My understanding & experience at least ,Fresh buried coins on the Sovereign & original Explorer
would not give a deep signal. Air tests were fine But not fresh Buried for some reason.

I have not tried with the SE Pro & don't know on the CTX.

But hopefully this was the Problem as your tests did not Bode well For the CTX
considering Price :laughing7:

My suggestion , If you did.....
Leave the coin & nail buried till the Spring & Redo the test

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
I think I used the 1st 3 or 4 programs on the Deus Longhair..Each one hit the coin loud and clear.Im not sure if the 1st couple programs are all the same freq without looking.

OP
OP
N

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
I was going to say what Longhair did.

My understanding & experience at least ,Fresh buried coins on the Sovereign & original Explorer
would not give a deep signal. Air tests were fine But not fresh Buried for some reason.

I have not tried with the SE Pro & don't know on the CTX.

But hopefully this was the Problem as your tests did not Bode well For the CTX
considering Price :laughing7:

My suggestion , If you did.....
Leave the coin & nail buried till the Spring & Redo the test
The thing is Jeff...ALL the rest of the machines hit it.The ctx need special conditions?I spent 2500 and Im not happy.I have praised minelabs for years..watch my vids,its all I used.And after years of dealing with the iron null,I decided to see if other units fair better.These new units are lighting up my old sites.Minelab has its strong points dont get me wrong..Hunting in trash sure isnt one of them.Nothing like leaving a site feeling like I missed a ton of stuff I couldnt hear.

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Fors Core had a 5 year warranty like the xp deus has they would probably sell like hot cakes,people get nervous with only a 2 year warranty of course if Ginseng prices go back up i might try to get one myself. That Fors core sounds awfully good i dont think that my sp pro would hit that target but i havent tried it either.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If Fors Core had a 5 year warranty like the xp deus has they would probably sell like hot cakes,people get nervous with only a 2 year warranty of course if Ginseng prices go back up i might try to get one myself. That Fors core sounds awfully good i dont think that my sp pro would hit that target but i havent tried it either.
Well what i found out about electronics is that if they do not break down in the first year …. There is not to much to worry about……So go get that fors core..OH you had better dig up that Ginseng first..

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Add some space huh?Ok will do and we will see if there is a difference.Seems if I add space it will be easier for the detector to see and seperate both targets doesnt it?When I laid the giant nail right on top and touching the dime it would make it alot harder for the dime to be seperated wouldnt it?rember I was testing discrimination..Seems it would be making it easier not harder...I will try tho and film the results

Yup, just make sure you put the ferrous junk on top of the non-ferrous junk (rather than visa-versa), with space in-between. Most real world scenarios, ferrous junk is everywhere, but you will find most silver deeper, than most junk. There's junk that's spread out, well on top of deeper good targets (most cases).

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well what i found out about electronics is that if they do not break down in the first year …. There is not to much to worry about……So go get that fors core..OH you had better dig up that Ginseng first..

I waiting for you to get one to give me a review . i got somes Ginseng . last year sold for 850.00 a pounds this year so far less 500.00 a pounds

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim
Bring them all when you and Bill come here....you can hold and film you "Shootout" here if you like....Deer Season here now Bow then Gun ....so bring some Blaze Orange Clothes...and you guns if you want .
Gary

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I waiting for you to get one to give me a review . i got somes Ginseng . last year sold for 850.00 a pounds this year so far less 500.00 a pounds
Man i have to get into digging Ginseng….. Have to be easier than driving truck.. When i get it i will let you know how it works ..

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim
Bring them all when you and Bill come here....you can hold and film you "Shootout" here if you like....Deer Season here now Bow then Gun ....so bring some Blaze Orange Clothes...and you guns if you want .
Gary

Now that will tell wich one is the best metal detector,report back wich is the best! if the shootout happens

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread