Etrac or XP DEUS large city, Im a coin/jewelry guy

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac or XP DEUS large city, I'm a coin/jewelry guy

I'm currently using an xterra 705 that has served me very well this year but I have an Excal II that gets NO use so I'm looking at getting a little better machine (deeper, faster) for jewelry hunting. Most of the gold I find is 14k. I'm planning to get into natural gold "nugget shooting" in the spring.
Most of the old parks here were cleaned out long ago on Silver. Sure I can knock on doors or find the sideways dime in the old park but I'm looking for a machine that will find me more gold rings/jewelry.

Has anyone owned both? I'd appreciate any and all comments on what machine to pick. Thanks.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what you are describing you want to do with it the XP Deus hands down. Phenomenal machine and it will find small gold and jewelry way better than the Etrac. Etrac is good for deep silver. Deus will solve your spring nugget hunt also with the goldfield program on it. Get the 9in coil, find treasure and never look back.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you welgund, of the 60 viewers you took the time to help. I appreciate that. Im thinking that's the machine I need also. It should compliment the 705 well.

carb897

May 2, 2012
woodward, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
excal 11 , explorer se, garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a minelab explore 2 . Recently bought a deus. This weekend I used the minelab first with a 8/6 coil then went back over the same spots with the deus.
The deus started finding coins the minelab missed . With all the different settings and different frequency a the deus offers plus wireless and free upgrades without having to buy another detector it is well worth it.
The reactivity will blow your mind compared to my minelab. All I know is I'm having a blast with it . Folds down nice and compact also.
You can have 4 different frequency plus a gold field program without buying different coils or another detector.
I'm sure with the right settings can go just as deep as a minelab with better separation ability.
It's a very fun machine to operate.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I previously owned an Etrac. Great machine. I do miss the ferrous/conductive display. I think the Deus takes a little more getting used to as far as settings go. Bottle caps can be a problem. If you go with a Deus, buy the Sabisch book. That will cut the learning curve a lot. I'm not crazy about the horseshoe display on the Deus. The VDI isn't very accurate beyond 5 inches so you have to go on the tones. Not a lot of selection of coils and they are super expensive since they have a battery and electronics in them. I have the 11 inch and am very happy with it. You are describing wanting to use a faster machine so that pretty much rules out Minelab machines in general. I also have a couple of small gold nuggets the Deus hits on. I have not had it out for a gold hunt however since the area I want to get into seems to have been closed off. I attach the standard remote on the shaft and use the headphone adaptor on the earphone module so I can go wireless and use whatever phones I like. I wasn't crazy about their behind the head type phones. If you have any concern on weight the Deus wins. Call around for pricing and packages that meet your needs. I think there is a promotion still going on where you can get $100 in free accessories.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you spend the money on a new machine, I'd have to ask what coils have tried on your Xterra? It's a capable nugget hunter, coin slayer, and relic hunter when configured appropriately for each task. And it's a machine you're already familiar with.

Not saying don't get a Deus, just that the 705 seldom gets fully taken advantage of for what it can do.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have 2 etracs now have CTX and 2 deus units. For jewelry the deus is the clear winner. For coins it's a toss up. Hunting coins in iron Deus kills. Hunting coins in no to little iron etrac/CTX kills. The minelabs will also kill your arm and shoulder too, not so with Deus. Deus does handle EMI pretty darn good. Minelabs do too. Deus is upgradeable via internet, etrac not. If only getting one coil and a Deus I would opt for 11" coil. Same price as 9" coil. Neither detector will ID jewelry, the etrac is pretty good on IDing many coins that come under its coil. Something else too. Etrac could be discontinued in the not so distant future, I think the Deus will be around substantially longer just because of the upgrade capabiltiy. Deus does cost more. Good luck on your decision.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread