Head to Head Battle..Fisher CZ6 Vs Garrett AT Pro...

dunnellondave

Oct 1, 2013

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal detector choices are a personal thing. Some people get blind-sided by hype and never will believe many things even if they are staring at the truth right in front of their face. Some people are so brand-loyal that they won't even look at another brand even if one of those detectors produces better results. I know people who say they are Democrats when they are actually Republicans. I knew a man who found more goodies with a metal detector than any other person I've ever met. He used an old Compass from the early 80's, yet tried many others. He found guns, knives, lots of knives, rings, jewelry, relics, gold, silver, old coins and many other nice things, EVERY DAY HE USED IT HE FOUND AT LEAST ONE NICE PRIZE. He owned a Tesoro Silver Sabre, but only kept it as a backup. He never did use discrimination, all-metal was his game. He actually earned a meager living with his searches.

The best gauge for sensitivity settings is to turn it up until the detector begins to chatter, then turn it down 1/2 to 1 turn. An air test is what to use because then the test variables are constant, while in ground are not. We old guys know how to use sensitivity up at a higher setting, but not all of us do, the sounds are way to complex for most people's ability to discern them all.

The reason that there are so many Aces on eBay and in pawn shops is because some people get tired of the bong, bong noise, but especially because the Aces produce inferior depth results in higher Fe soils. I can show a video of their weaker but not devastating results, but people can do it their own self by going to Youtube. Here in the western USA Garretts are seldom seen and when they are, they are usually found in a pawn shop. Many Minelabs are found there too. The only Minelabs and/or Garretts I've seen here in the last 10 years were mine, plus two of each in a retail detector shop run by my friends. The reason is that Whites and FT (Fisher and Teknetics) simply work better here and produce overall better results in our harsh soil. Nobody sells something that will come back to haunt him and then have to give them their money back, that would be foolish. I don't have any opinions about this, it just is what it is.

The ATP was an attempt at competing against the Whites MXT and the Fisher GBP and similar. Many people are getting rid of their ATP's because they discovered that they could have gotten a better deal from another brand, namely Whites and First Texas, so they dumped the ATP ASAP. Garrett still uses early 80's technology on their single-frequency, delayed response machines. They are very similar in operation to the old Bounty Hunter Red Baron and the Whites 6,000's. That is why the boing sound is delayed and sounds familiar, it's old technology improved to some degree.

Tesoro uses less complicated but more reliable (older) technology. This is why Tesoros are such a good deal for the money, simple, but seldom are depth demons. Their discrimantion is very commendable though, and so is recovery and retune speed.

First Texas (FT, Fisher, Teknetics) is ahead of the game right now. Whites too, but they are not going very far, we have reached a plateau in metal detector technology. We can't crank in more power, partly because of too limited returns, and partly becaause it could interfere with police, ambulance, and medical procedures operations. All we can do now is to add more toys, perhaps a tax program, or maybe a weather alert, a magazine rack, or recipe or two for making delicious fudge to our hobby list? That way we would have more toys on our toy detectors and everybody smiles, and everybody wins. :laughing7:

The bottom line: NEVER buy before you try. Don't listen to hype, it's probably just more BS. "If it walks like a duck"... And go with a successful person and follow his or her advise and their performance, it is the best teacher. Don't rely on shop owners or WalMart for advice, unless they are active metal detector enthusiasts, and that too is not guaranteed good advice either. Lastly, JOIN A CLUB! You get to compare detectors in the flesh, instead of being reduced to just reading stuff like what I just wrote. You all have a nice day, I'm going out to find a new hot looking woman somewhere, and yes at my age of 70. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

dunnellondave

Oct 1, 2013
Metal detector choices are a personal thing. Some people get blind-sided by hype and never will believe many things even if they are staring at the truth right in front of their face. Some people are so brand-loyal that they won't even look at another brand even if one of those detectors produces better results. I know people who say they are Democrats when they are actually Republicans. I knew a man who found more goodies with a metal detector than any other person I've ever met. He used an old Compass from the early 80's, yet tried many others. He found guns, knives, lots of knives, rings, jewelry, relics, gold, silver, old coins and many other nice things, EVERY DAY HE USED IT HE FOUND AT LEAST ONE NICE PRIZE. He owned a Tesoro Silver Sabre, but only kept it as a backup. He never did use discrimination, all-metal was his game. He actually earned a meager living with his searches.

The best gauge for sensitivity settings is to turn it up until the detector begins to chatter, then turn it down 1/2 to 1 turn. An air test is what to use because then the test variables are constant, while in ground are not. We old guys know how to use sensitivity up at a higher setting, but not all of us do, the sounds are way to complex for most people's ability to discern them all.

The reason that there are so many Aces on eBay and in pawn shops is because some people get tired of the bong, bong noise, but especially because the Aces produce inferior depth results in higher Fe soils. I can show a video of their weaker but not devastating results, but people can do it their own self by going to Youtube. Here in the western USA Garretts are seldom seen and when they are, they are usually found in a pawn shop. Many Minelabs are found there too. The only Minelabs and/or Garretts I've seen here in the last 10 years were mine, plus two of each in a retail detector shop run by my friends. The reason is that Whites and FT (Fisher and Teknetics) simply work better here and produce overall better results in our harsh soil. Nobody sells something that will come back to haunt him and then have to give them their money back, that would be foolish. I don't have any opinions about this, it just is what it is.

The ATP was an attempt at competing against the Whites MXT and the Fisher GBP and similar. Many people are getting rid of their ATP's because they discovered that they could have gotten a better deal from another brand, namely Whites and First Texas, so they dumped the ATP ASAP. Garrett still uses early 80's technology on their single-frequency, delayed response machines. They are very similar in operation to the old Bounty Hunter Red Baron and the Whites 6,000's. That is why the boing sound is delayed and sounds familiar, it's old technology improved to some degree.

Tesoro uses less complicated but more reliable (older) technology. This is why Tesoros are such a good deal for the money, simple, but seldom are depth demons. Their discrimantion is very commendable though, and so is recovery and retune speed.

First Texas (FT, Fisher, Teknetics) is ahead of the game right now. Whites too, but they are not going very far, we have reached a plateau in metal detector technology. We can't crank in more power, partly because of too limited returns, and partly becaause it could interfere with police, ambulance, and medical procedures operations. All we can do now is to add more toys, perhaps a tax program, or maybe a weather alert, a magazine rack, or recipe or two for making delicious fudge to our hobby list? That way we would have more toys on our toy detectors and everybody smiles, and everybody wins. :laughing7:

The bottom line: NEVER buy before you try. Don't listen to hype, it's probably just more BS. "If it walks like a duck"... And go with a successful person and follow his or her advise and their performance, it is the best teacher. Don't rely on shop owners or WalMart for advice, unless they are active metal detector enthusiasts, and that too is not guaranteed good advice either. Lastly, JOIN A CLUB! You get to compare detectors in the flesh, instead of being reduced to just reading stuff like what I just wrote. You all have a nice day, I'm going out to find a new hot looking woman somewhere, and yes at my age of 70. :thumbsup:
Theres is no "bong noise" on my AT Pro when in pro mode so you can throw that out the window. If you heard a "bong noise", then once again user error.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck finding that hot woman, I'm glad you have your priorities straight.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunnellondave, Reread Larry's post again as the "Bong" noise is from the 250's.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of these comparisons and arguments matter why? I don't care if someone uses a harbor freight metal detector, I'm not going to tell him my machine goes deeper till he believes me. We are just all out enjoying the same hobby because its what we love to do.. :dontknow:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Dennis is right about my reference toward the Aces, although I didn't say it outright since it was implied. The first 4 tones that come out of the AT Pro in this video are one type of delayed phase-shift "bong" or "boing", or "blong" sound. The other bonk(?) sound comes from the Aces, and it is much more elongated. I'll post that video too. I know how they work because I used to build their circuitry, yes for Whites, their creator.

Quote, unquote: "Garrett still uses early 80's technology on their single-frequency, delayed response machines. They are very similar in operation to the old Bounty Hunter Red Baron and the Whites 6,000's. That is why that particular sound is delayed and sounds familiar, it's old technology improved to some degree".

Here are the videos:

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And here is the Ace 250, its bongs are a bit longer, but it still uses the same technology of the early 80's, like the ATP's now do.

Garrett calls it a "bell tone" but it doesn't sound like a bell to me

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A bell tone:

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another bell tone:

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Whites (sort of?) copied Bounty Hunter Red Barons, where the delayed tone phase shift detectors originated from (George Payne the engineer if I remember correctly). George worked for both Whites and Bounty Hunter. He later formed the company Teknetics and mastered the famous Millinium. Then miraculously Garrett happened to build one that operated strangely similar in its operation and functions to George's original invention? Something stinks.. ..

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depth (like size) isn't everything. It's how well it's used. :laughing7:

And after many hunts with others, I also understand that a quarter at 12" was really only 7-8" deep. If one has read enough about detector fields, they should know that to get coins too deep that they will lose the ability to distinguish shallower targets. In Dave J's essays, he says getting depth isn't the issue. It's getting depth without losing the shallower targets.

I would rather have a good ID circuit at 9" than a Iron magnet that goes 18". But a good relic hunter may want the latter. I have the best for me. Find your own best.

Dimendave

Nov 27, 2012
Central Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garret ATP Whites TDI SL.
Fisher CZ-21. Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunnellondave, Reread Larry's post again as the "Bong" noise is from the 250's.

Really......?

Dimendave

Nov 27, 2012
Central Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garret ATP Whites TDI SL.
Fisher CZ-21. Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3/4 of my friends own AT Pros. I have known nobody who ran and sold it ASAP for a better Deal. That's laughable. Most all have upgraded from an Ace series or any of the other multitudes of low range detectors.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Folks there is a used ATP right down the street in Whites home town for sale. I'll ask how much it is and let you know. I saw one on Craigslist for $250 recently too. That is terribly cheap of course, so it didn't stay there very long. Although the MXT is a good detector it doesn't interest me, but I've noticed that the ATP is often traded in for one at online notifications. This seems to be a Garrett crowd, so if I see one cheap I'll let you all know... I'm looking for a Technetics detector, not the best by far, but I want to look over its circuitry. I'm talking about one of the Smarts, etc. Thanks

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3/4 of my friends own AT Pros. I have known nobody who ran and sold it ASAP for a better Deal. That's laughable. Most all have upgraded from an Ace series or any of the other multitudes of low range detectors.

I did within 6 weeks. That "bong"sound, as Larry calls it, was awful in my opinion.

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I almost wrapped mine around an oak tree one day from all its noise. My friend did that with his old Whites 6000 di and its bongs when I walked behind him and found a rose gold 18 ct sig ring. It weighed almost 1/2 ounce. He then stuck his bayonette right through the ten-ringer and sent it back to Whites with a note saying "I killed it." They treated him nicely, gave him full credit or price back in exchange for the killed one. Whites is a good place to deal with.

Last edited:

dunnellondave

Oct 1, 2013
I did within 6 weeks. That "bong"sound, as Larry calls it, was awful in my opinion.

The bong sound is in standard mode. If you didn't take the time to understand what the machine was telling you in PRO mode then once again, user error. Anyways I love both of mine and it took me a full year to fully understand it. HH

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol yes I know the difference between pro mode and standard mode. I just didn't like the machines overall audio in either mode or the feel of the keypad controls. I can tell anyone from hands on experience, there are better choices out there as far depth, audio, target seperation, weight and balance, are concerned. I'll agree if I could only have 1 machine on a $600 budget the AT is the best buy to be able to water hunt.

Last edited:

dunnellondave

Oct 1, 2013
Lol yes I know the difference between pro mode and standard mode. I just didn't like the machines overall audio in either mode or the feel of the keypad controls. I can tell anyone from hands on experience, there are better choices out there as far depth, audio, target seperation, weight and balance, are concerned. I'll agree if I could only have 1 machine on a $600 budget the AT is the best buy to be able to water

I hope you test drive your cars before you buy them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread